Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Cannot connect iPad 12.9 to controller

alainbriot

Reaction score
Hi,
I cannot connect my iPad 12.9 to the skidio controller. I tried different usbc to usbc cables. Each time I connect the cable the light on the back of the controller goes green, then turns red and I get an error message from the skidio software on the iPad. Any idea what I should do, or what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

I'm curious to know, have you tried the USB-C cable that came with the drone? I had the same issue with my Autel controller and just gave up. Why are apple devices so particular about what's plugged into them?
Right now I'm having an issue connecting my iPhone to the controller. I got it working once and for the life of me I can't seem to find the right cable that worked, so I purchased a new cable from Skydio.

Yes I tried the Skydio USB-C cable but no luck, so I gave up trying to connect the iPad 12.9 to the controller and continue using my iPhone 13 Pro.

Regarding the iPhone-controller cable the only one that works in my experience is the one from Skydio. I must have 10 different ones, I tried them all, and the only one that works is the Skydio one. So I ordered a second one in case I lose or break one of them. Without it no go!

Also, on the subject of being stumped in the field, the drone won't fly without a memory card in it. I learned the hard way by forgetting to put the memory card back in after downloading, going in the field and not being able to fly. You could say, why fly without a memory card? Well, agreed, that's pretty pointless since I can't take photos or videos, but I drove a long way on a rough 4x4 road and would have at least liked to check out the location from the air. I would have learned what kind of shots are there, plan for them, and return later on. Without a card the trip was a complete waste. Well not complete since I was out in nature but complete from the perspective of flying the Skydio.

Reactions: anthonydotcom
Oh man, that sucks! Agreed, I love getting out on the trails but if I planned on having my lil' sidekick flying around me only to get there and realize I couldn't because of an sd card, I'd be a little miffed. I was planning on buying a spare micro SD card, and I think you've given me the exact reason why I need to order it today.

Buying a spare is the first thing I did after learning it can't fly without a card. 128 mb Memory Cads are about $20 on Amazon. I keep it in my Skydio case as a spare in case I space out again and forget to put the card back in the drone.

Reactions: Ridefreak
Buying a spare is the first thing I did after learning it can't fly without a card. 128 mb Memory Cads are about $20 on Amazon. I keep it in my Skydio case as a spare in case I space out again and forget to put the card back in the drone.
SOP (y)

I believe this subject came up on this forum before, if I am reading the OP right, you will need to get
the USB-C to Lightning cable from Skydio, it is different from the other Lightning cables offered by Apple and other aftermarket manufacturers.

Hi,
I cannot connect my iPad 12.9 to the skidio controller. I tried different usbc to usbc cables. Each time I connect the cable the light on the back of the controller goes green, then turns red and I get an error message from the skidio software on the iPad. Any idea what I should do, or what I am doing wrong? Thanks.
This is a link to the Skydio USBc to lighting cable.

As you likely know the “older” models of IPads all came with a lighting connector. Some of the “newer” ones now have a USBc connector. Apple hasn’t been very consistent with their implementation of USBc on their new devices (like the new flagship iPhone 13 has lightning but the new IPad Pro 12.9 has USBc).

Perhaps Skydio would react to a support request to add a USBc - USBc to their shopping site.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup