Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Economy Skydio 2 Case

Same thing I did, my only gripe with the HF case is how easy the little squares you want to keep fall off. I used it today.

Got mine today - thanks for posting your photo, I couldn't figure out how to fit everything in the box. But with your photo, I should be OK!

Well done Vegas! Just need someone with a 3D printer/laser cutter to make a template and file. Any volunteers?

After half a dozen trips to the desert this case has done a good job protecting my S2. Like Ridefreak mentioned the foam blocks tend to delaminate in the thinner areas; something I learned with my Anafi case. A little rubber cement was the fix for me.

Reactions: Blueskybob
Same thing I did, my only gripe with the HF case is how easy the little squares you want to keep fall off. I used it today.
I use the same cases for photography equipment. I use a glue gun to reduce the lose of foam blocks. For my drone, I bought the expansion kit, however..

Some folks have used plastic spray to keep them together. Some just a little dab of glue. Note:: they sprayed the bottom of the blocks.

Reactions: Ridefreak
Some folks have used plastic spray to keep them together. Some just a little dab of glue. Note:: they sprayed the bottom of the blocks.
Like Flex seal?

Don't know about Flex Seal that is pretty heavy duty. It was recommended to use Plastic Dip and to follow this procedure:
Quick tips Heat the foam with a heat gun first to close up all those pores. Apply first coat of plasti dip very lightly. Afterwards do two coats or more then paints of all kinds can be applied.

It also came with a warning to test it first as some foams can be melted by the propellant in the spay can.

I am going to try it this week, I can update this with the results.

Attachments

• Plastic Dip2.jpg
    Plastic Dip2.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 7
all this talk got me thinking and I ended up going a different direction with my HF case, I use the foam in the HF box in 2 layers, bottom for batteries and little stuff with it's own slot then the top (1.5" ) layer for the drone and controller. The HF foam isn't very stiff so it doesn't lend itself to using the layer like a tray. I ordered some Kaisan foam in 1.5" thickness from Amazon. It's the same type of closed cell foam that comes in the gucci case SD sells. Doing some research it looks pretty easy to skulpt out a shape leaving the thin (for me bottom) layer intact. I plan to use a 1.5 inch thick piece on the bottom with cutouts to hold batteries, cables, charger, filters etc.. and then have a removable layer above it with cutouts for the drone and controller with it's thin bottom layer intact, like a tray. I'm pretty sure I can fit it all in that way, I'll post up pics when I finish it. It it pans out it would add $40 to the cost of the case setup so it's as much as the case and may not be a good option for some of you. There's cheaper ways to accomplish the same results if you're creative.

Sounds Interesting! I am in the middle of a similar two-layer concept. I copied the idea from someone on Facebook. Cannot find the thread otherwise, I would give him the credit. Using the:
Apache 4800 Case - I.D. 17.81" x 12.75" x 6.5" It is not a case you want to hike with. But I like the concept of a transportable case in my van, and then pick out the small case to go out to the launch area.

Apache 4800 Type 2.jpg

That's a nice setup, wish I saw it a couple months ago :)

That's nice being able to hold the SD2 case inside of that, my case is the next size smaller, yours is a better option IMO.

If you are looking to do a single layer here is a neat site. (not sure if you could layer it or not)
Using the designer tool it is a nice way to see how everything would fit.

I did play around on that site and actually started a design, then I looked at the price and back at my design and decided I didn't trust myself to come up with a design worthy of their cost. Being able to leave the drone in it's SD case means you don't have to make the shape of the drone in the foam, mostly square cutouts. To me that lends itself allot better to the pick out squares used with the HP boxes.

I did get the case and i like it. The front clips have a middle push in and then you can lift the snaps. Everything fits well and snug which is good from a fall out and raddle perspective. It was $ 99 on amazon with a guaranteed return for me. I'm keeping it.

Attachments

• drone-case.jpg
    drone-case.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 16
I did get the case and i like it. The front clips have a middle push in and then you can lift the snaps. Everything fits well and snug which is good from a fall out and raddle perspective. It was $ 99 on amazon with a guaranteed return for me. I'm keeping it.
Thanks for posting back, will get it as well, if they have it eventually available on the Canadian site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup