Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Has anyone received their Skydio 2 yet?

Old Man Grizz

Reaction score
Howdy Folks!
Just wondering if anyone has heard when they will receive their New Skydio?
I’m getting EXCITED!!!
Thanks,
Old Man Grizz

They are in the process of sending them out, early buyers will be receiving tracking info in the next couple days so the drones should be there soon after.

COOL!!??
I can’t wait to add this to my Fleet!
I wish Skydio much Success!!
Old Man Grizz

A guy on another forum that signed up early the first day has received tracking info, he should have it thurs.

Other than the initial barrage of Selling reviews, has there been any more that anyone has found... little more in-depth of operations, App details, etc.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Michael Jensen posted a picture tonight (Dec 5) of the Skydio 2 he received in the Facebook group "Skydio 2 /Drone Owners Network".

That was a good review, always enjoy Billy's videos... this one was nice since it focused solely on the main area of discussion, the object avoidance. It's clearly a superior avoidance system, and impressive how it avoids striking branches, and how small twig strikes don't appear to effect it's flight or props...another impressive feature.

Although, this and several other videos do indicate tracking can be a little less than I had assumed from write-ups. It does have areas where it'll go high or distant with an outcome not optimal for the video and not ideally desired; other times it'll fall way behind while it processes it's flight path & current situation. Again, very impressive technology but cinematically not functional. Billy's video displayed more detailed footage of the drone loosing track or falling way behind. If it was a downhill ski or bike... it'd probably not noticed until way behind. A section within BIlly's video that was at the end of 1st trail... where it totally lost him in video frame, off to the side of track, but appeared to be moving forward like it was still tracking the bacon signal.

I'm looking forward to playing with the S2, looks like a very nice piece of technology. But it may require a few Firmware updates after a larger base provides collective data and identifies areas to improve.

Question on the S2, all has been on OA & Video... does the app have waypoint & POI to use with photos, or pattern to use with survey: ie Construction. A way point mission or a orbital around a structure, if OA was good... I'd be interested if it can get closer for more terrestrial similar photos to combine with higher altitude images for 3D Modeling. Or if the OA is so independent it wouldn't be consistent in altitude & distance to capture useful images.

That was a good review, always enjoy Billy's videos... this one was nice since it focused solely on the main area of discussion, the object avoidance. It's clearly a superior avoidance system, and impressive how it avoids striking branches, and how small twig strikes don't appear to effect it's flight or props...another impressive feature.

Although, this and several other videos do indicate tracking can be a little less than I had assumed from write-ups. It does have areas where it'll go high or distant with an outcome not optimal for the video and not ideally desired; other times it'll fall way behind while it processes it's flight path & current situation. Again, very impressive technology but cinematically not functional. Billy's video displayed more detailed footage of the drone loosing track or falling way behind. If it was a downhill ski or bike... it'd probably not noticed until way behind. A section within BIlly's video that was at the end of 1st trail... where it totally lost him in video frame, off to the side of track, but appeared to be moving forward like it was still tracking the bacon signal.

I'm looking forward to playing with the S2, looks like a very nice piece of technology. But it may require a few Firmware updates after a larger base provides collective data and identifies areas to improve.
Hopefully it’s simply a matter of tweaking the firmware to have the S2 optimize for cinematic quality vs “clear the hurdle as fast as you can and get back to your subject as fast as you can”. I can see that the sacrifice would then be a recommended lower limit on the speed of the subject. But this could be an offered option toggle.

Though in some cases it simply gets hung up. not sure there is much to do to avoid this short of faster and more complex processing. That likely cannot be improved short of a hardware upgrade. But you never know...

Z

There was a feature he didn't use which would have made that run down through the trees much smoother and probably with no hesitation at all. It's called the Height Floor. I think his perspective on it's avoidance would have been allot different had that been turned off.

HF-M.jpg

It wasn't turned on on the version we were given to test and the drone flew allot lower at various times. It would likely freak out other pedestrians to see a drone coming right at you 4" off the ground. I understand why it comes turned on.
HF2-L.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GarthH
That does sound like an interesting mode... so instead of hunting upwards, which if in trees is normally problematic, it'd drop below the small branches. After clearing branches does it attempt to regain it's higher position above subject?

I'd like to see that mode in action on the last several videos... they all had similar hang-ups in the low lying branches.

That does sound like an interesting mode... so instead of hunting upwards, which if in trees is normally problematic, it'd drop below the small branches. After clearing branches does it attempt to regain it's higher position above subject?

I'd like to see that mode in action on the last several videos... they all had similar hang-ups in the low lying branches.
I saw a couple videos where it’s good it was on they were running down sidewalks allowing the Skydio to buzz innocent passers by. Letting it go to 4’ could have been dangerous or would scare the crap out of people at minimum.

Z

What does any of this have to do with the thread title?

Someone posted on DP Review that Skydio told him no deliveries until third quarter of next year.

That’s tough for a startup.

by then DJI may have new models out and the gap in photo and video quality may just widen.

hope they can hang on bring some much needed competition to this market.

Reactions: Zandian
Someone posted on DP Review that Skydio told him no deliveries until third quarter of next year.

That’s tough for a startup.

by then DJI may have new models out and the gap in photo and video quality may just widen.

hope they can hang on bring some much needed competition to this market.
Wow, that bumps it out to Sept ~ there after.
I’m in 2Q batch... indicated as April, possibly March.
Wonder if that response meant any “new“ entries added to their list was now out to 3rd Q? That surely doesn’t mean those in que for 1st and 2nd Q deliveries. If they wait til July-Aug to deliver, that wouldn‘t be a good “launch tactic” by delaying 6 plus months.

DJI is similar to Samsung, they both have an amazing speed ability to react with new release product that competes or retakes market... allowing DJI an extra 6 plus months to react isn’t a tactful marketing move by Skydio allowing market leader additional reaction time... Skydio’s best marketing advantage was introducing and displaying new technology just prior to delivery.

Product is now officially out in consumers hands, and you can easily bet that DJI has a few in their labs dissecting & examining. Bad for Skydio, but will be intersting to see how DJI reacts... 1) minimal reaction due to viewing it not a threat, 2) a similar offering product that the average consumer will lean toward vs less-known Skydio, or 3) a dominate product offering?

DJI is similar to Samsung, they both have an amazing speed ability to react with new release product that competes or retakes market... allowing DJI an extra 6 plus months to react isn’t a tactful marketing move by Skydio allowing market leader additional reaction time...

Product is now officially out in consumers hands, and you can easily bet that DJI has a few in their labs dissecting & examining. Bad for Skydio, but will be intersting to see how DJI reacts...

DJI outsources software, this where the magic of the Skydio is implemented with the hardware. I doubt that DJI will have this level of OA within six months. that is not to say that the M3 won't make a leap forward in OA but can it close the huge gap that quick?

Is there that big a market for action sports filming?

The Go Pro customers either have invested in helmet mounts and such or if they went for drones, have bought them already, probably got friends to film them.

But I guess the advance could be that the SD flies between and around trees, gets close to the subject, whereas a conventional drone would fly above the trees or otherwise not be able to get as close to human subjects with the typical wide angle lenses they use.

DJI outsources software, this where the magic of the Skydio is implemented with the hardware. I doubt that DJI will have this level of OA within six months. that is not to say that the M3 won't make a leap forward in OA but can it close the huge gap that quick?
On the delays of the S2, why? Is it a lack of IC or electronics? Where are all these S2 components made... it’s assembled in USA but what manufacturer is making the components? USA, Korea, Japan, etc... they too have relationships with China.

In my viewpoint, this level of OA isn’t new to DJI. I’m assuming they’ve been aware of Skydio‘s project and they’ve been more waiting than developing to weigh the market. If it’s a small market, as mentioned in my previous post... they may not have a lot of interest to compete. I do recall DJI showing a prototype optical 360 platform 2+ years ago but technological costs at that time were high and consumer interest low, so project was shelved. Also confident based on Chinese manufacturing espionag; they were in first purchase of S2 release, and they’re disecting and reverse-engineering the IC’s and software... a specialty the Chinese market has shown for many years.

Not that I’m advocating for DJI... just realization of reality. If this is a profit volume market with the advanced OA, I have no doubt DJI along with their control or heavy thumb on several electronics in China, wouldn’t have a difficult time producing equal or superior OA.

I wasn’t indicating they’d have market ready in 6 months, but a 6 month delay of S2 brings a new DJI release much closer to the time of S2 delivery. If DJI took 9-10 months... releasing news & leaking product announcements in 6 months; at the time the S2 readily becomes available, even if DJI new platform is 3-4 months later (10 months)... a large share of consumers would hold-off on purchase for 3-4 months to evaluate new platform before purchase of S2.
They’ve done it before to discourage buying other products.

Just the mere announcement of “soon to be released“ product from market leader will effect market decisions. Even the little Mavic Mini, a “plain jane no bells“ craft created a anxious waiting period and later fire storm purchase... and that was $500 package for no technology in OA and stores still sold out after a large first shipment release. The 1st Mavic Mini production was much more than S2’s first wave... they can gear up and produce at greater volume, getting product in hand faster. At $500 for a low tech mini, vs $1500 (full package) for high tech, the $500 is probably a much higher profit percentage... with greater sales volume prediction.

Agsin, not supportive... would enjoy Skydio or USA company kicking DJI’s Butt. At same time, I know if DJI whispered a new Optical OA, hi-Tech M3 or P5... the majority would anxiously wait with the name-recognition of DJI and their known designs.

On a similar parallel, I’ve always been intrigued why DJI didn’t make a Hex to compete with the Yuneec Typhoon or H520. The one plus Yuneec has held in market is the Hex for stated fail-safe if a motor fails. It would be a simple task to compete and take the small Hex market for DJI. Yuneec Owners (myself own 1 of each) proudly site the safety of the Hex over the DJI quad... but yet never challenged. It clearly wasn’t technology, DJI has several Hex & Octal platforms in larger scale. In my opinion, market & profit just didn’t drive any interest. The optical OA might be similar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup