Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Keyframes are crazy amazing!!!

TonyPHX

Reaction score
Used ios and did the update to the 2 (did not know there was one) and tried out keyframes today! O M G. Built a simple path around my home and hit play. A few crazy choices and my heart skipped a few times but I know later tonight when I grab the video its going to rock! This new feature has some endless possibility for cinematic shots I believe.

Quick test with Keyframe

On this test, I had a keyframe in front of the home, and one behind it. The way the S2 climbed over the roof and practically hugged the solar panels I was "concerned" but as usual it did great. It got hung up on the return back to the front keyframe, but the sun was getting low and I was catching direct light, so not sure if that had anything to do with it. I am admittedly just getting started with this new feature. The potential to do some crazy wicked shots is so apparent. I am going to spend some time on Saturday doing exactly that!

Nice! Lots of possibilities fer shure.

I'd like to do different and usual things rather than the usual drone stuff and it looks like Keyframes will be key (pun!) to this.

It will also be really interesting to see how the free camera mode works during Keyframing... Should make for some very cool/original shots,

Reactions: TonyPHX
Quick test with Keyframe

On this test, I had a keyframe in front of the home, and one behind it. The way the S2 climbed over the roof and practically hugged the solar panels I was "concerned" but as usual it did great. It got hung up on the return back to the front keyframe, but the sun was getting low and I was catching direct light, so not sure if that had anything to do with it. I am admittedly just getting started with this new feature. The potential to do some crazy wicked shots is so apparent. I am going to spend some time on Saturday doing exactly that!
if it’s just 2 points, i think cable-cam would do the same thing. try putting a few extra points over you roof - that should prevent the hang-up.

if it’s just 2 points, i think cable-cam would do the same thing. try putting a few extra points over you roof - that should prevent the hang-up.
You called it. I had done a frame in front and one in back. (My immature starters use of Keyframes.). Thank you!

Reactions: farmer brown
Great video of Keyframing in action by someone who's been testing it for six months:

As I see more and more titles like this, I feel I'm starting to dislike some of youtubers.

There are a lot of misleading information in the kinds of videos. (For an example, KeyFrame is not Waypoints. They are apple and orange).

And, who cares DJI will like this or won't like this.

Why not just own both?

As I see more and more titles like this, I feel I'm starting to dislike some of youtubers.

There are a lot of misleading information in the kinds of videos. (For an example, KeyFrame is not Waypoints. They are apple and orange).

Why not just own both?
So true. They don't need to turn an amazing feature on a Skydio drone into a "war" between manufacturers. Why not just celebrate and educate on what Skydio has to offer?

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
Great video of Keyframing in action by someone who's been testing it for six months:

Thank you for sharing this, I will be trying to learn from the best shots possible. This is so fun to have a new skill to master!!!

I’m interested in what happens when something that was in one place of the original key frame setup moves.

If I understand correctly you start by manually flying a route and at various points set a key frame. Once that is done you hit “play” and the S2 flys that route forward or backward at whatever speed you set and it does it “smoother” than the original. It relies on its OA and AI to fly that route safely.

Now lets say that some “movable” object that was stationary when the key frame sequence was “recorded” and the OA had to avoid during that process. The object is in between two key frames. Then the object moves either before or during the “playback” forcing the OA to do something like take a different path to the next Keyframe. Does it just do that or does it stop and hover or ???

So true. They don't need to turn an amazing feature on a Skydio drone into a "war" between manufacturers. Why not just celebrate and educate on what Skydio has to offer?
Plain and simple, clickbait. Just how things are on YouTube. I know the struggle of getting folks to watch your content. It's saturated out there so folks use whatever thumbnail clickbaity things they can get folks to watch. I saw this one posted elsewhere and ignored it for that title alone.

I must say this Keyframe is an extension of what 3DR did years ago. 3DR nailed their multi-point cable cam, without obstacle avoidance of course.

I was impressed how smoothly Solo panned the camera and how smooth the heading and elevation changes were; it was revolutionary at the time. I did some videos comparing Solo to the Phantom and it was night and day, the DJI flight was jerky and robotic while Solo was smoooth.

I haven't had the need for Keyframe but it is a welcome addition for many pilots.

I will say even with the new Keyframe update follow is still pretty crappy with the app and beacon. If I switch to beacon only all is good.

I have been using Android, I'm going to switch to my iPad and see if it's better; I like to frame the shot with the app.

Why not just own both?
You guys might not realise, but Kendall Martin is the Marketing Manager for Skydio

And before that came from GoPro

Click bait get's more eyeballs

I agree with the sensationalism of titles these days and tend to avoid 'em. However if it's a Skydio related video I'll watch it so I can learn something new. Can't hurt.

Ray

You guys might not realise, but Kendall Martin is the Marketing Manager for Skydio

And before that came from GoPro

Click bait get's more eyeballs
Not surprised.

However, I have to be very honest and say that the title and the content and production of the film, that was his choice and decision, I just don't think the video conveyed the right message personally, it's not just about the title.

I don't have a lot of time, and in order to get learning, I have to choose more reliable sources of information and exclude some others. I really don't know him, and I don't know the title of his job, but his films are one of my exclusions.

Since this is the field of Skydio, I don't have the courage to express opinions that are different from the mainstream here, and I feel very sorry for it and if these different opinions cause your unhappiness, I am sorry, too.

Last edited:
I haven't had the chance to test the feature. but there is a scenario maybe someone can test (if I don't get to it in time). and that scenario is this: designing a flight path. and then executing that flight path the next day. I read there is a beta with a rudimentary version of that but I'm curious how good or bad it currently is.

For example, at our Lunar New Year’s celebration, we have a shot where the building’s staff lines up (Rockettes's style). The drone does a low flyby so that the entire staff gets some facetime with a good wave. The drone then climbs and does some cinematic maneuvers around our building and the immediate surroundings (not just circling but a bit more complex). I can’t expect the staff to wait around while I plan the shot. I’d like to plan it the day before or so and then on the day of, the staff gets in place and I execute the maneuver.

I watched that if you place the drone in the same spot as before, it'll work but the thing is New Year's is chaos with people everywhere so I can't predict whether I can launch from the exact same spot.

As for Youtubers, you need to get views so captions and titles have to be clickbait. Stuff like "Am I switching from Sony to Canon?" "Why I'm dropping my Skydio" (when they're not).

I haven't had the chance to test the feature. but there is a scenario maybe someone can test (if I don't get to it in time). and that scenario is this: designing a flight path. and then executing that flight path the next day. I read there is a beta with a rudimentary version of that but I'm curious how good or bad it currently is.

For example, at our Lunar New Year’s celebration, we have a shot where the building’s staff lines up (Rockettes's style). The drone does a low flyby so that the entire staff gets some facetime with a good wave. The drone then climbs and does some cinematic maneuvers around our building and the immediate surroundings (not just circling but a bit more complex). I can’t expect the staff to wait around while I plan the shot. I’d like to plan it the day before or so and then on the day of, the staff gets in place and I execute the maneuver.

I watched that if you place the drone in the same spot as before, it'll work but the thing is New Year's is chaos with people everywhere so I can't predict whether I can launch from the exact same spot.

As for Youtubers, you need to get views so captions and titles have to be clickbait. Stuff like "Am I switching from Sony to Canon?" "Why I'm dropping my Skydio" (when they're not).
I did a couple of more tests today with the keyframes feature and it worked well when flying the mission immediately after setting it up. I tried reloading the mission after swapping batteries and I was very careful to launch from the same point and heading. The first keypoint in each case was just above the launch point. I did not have good success. In both attempts, the flight path was pretty far from the original flight and I had to abort. Anyway, here is a sample of the flight when it worked well.

I did a couple of more tests today with the keyframes feature and it worked well when flying the mission immediately after setting it up. I tried reloading the mission after swapping batteries and I was very careful to launch from the same point and heading. The first keypoint in each case was just above the launch point. I did not have good success. In both attempts, the flight path was pretty far from the original flight and I had to abort. Anyway, here is a sample of the flight when it worked well.

Pretty amazing when it works! I'm guessing (and hoping) these quirks are standard fare for a first iteration release and that Skydio will continue to tweak and solidify it over time like they've done with other things.

Ray

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup