Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

My Skydio 2 would not climb above 30 feet today ! I found out why

Skyking

Reaction score
I was shooting real estate today and the ground was covered with 3" of snow. My Skydio 2 was hand launched and then I moved it away from me, at about 10 feet altitude over the snow in an open field. I wanted to climb to about 150 feet for some shots. But it would only go up about 35 or so feet now matter what I did. I moved and then down and up and then down. It would not climb over 30 or so feet. Finally, I figured that the issue was the pure white smooth snow. So I moved it horizontally so it was over the driveway, which was plowed. As soon as the drone "saw" that, it was happy to climb up for me.

I'm mentioning this because some of you might experience this if directly over a surface, like water, sand, snow, something with low contrast and no texture.

#Skydio2 #snow #wontclimb #controlissues Skydio

Last edited:
Reactions: drrags and tcrusan
I was shooting real estate today and the ground was covered with 3" of snow. My Skydio 2 was hand launched and then I moved it away from me, at about 10 feet altitude over the snow in an open field. I wanted to climb to about 150 feet for some shots. But it would only go up about 35 or so feet now matter what I did. I moved and then down and up and then down. It would not climb over 30 or so feet. Finally, I figured that the issue was the pure white smooth snow. So I moved it horizontally so it was over the driveway, which was plowed. As soon as the drone "saw" that, it was happy to climb up for me.

I'm mentioning this because some of you might experience this if directly over a surface, like water, sand, snow, something with low contrast and no texture.

#Skydio2 #snow #wontclimb #controlissues Skydio
I have had that happen on numerous occasions and there is no snow here. It won't go past about 30 feet altitude until I go horizontal for a ways. This is using the controller. It has to be some kind of bug and does not happen all the time.

Reactions: jmm701
I flew over allot of snow Saturday but I wasn't asking it to go very high. I'll have to test that "feature" out.

I've had the same issue but it goes away after a minute. I think it's because it's trying to "Motion Track" and has fallen into those limitations. Once, it realizes that you're not trying to motion track, it allows you to fly however you want. Sometimes it gives up easily and sometimes it's a bit more difficult.

Reactions: jmm701
I've had the same issue but it goes away after a minute. I think it's because it's trying to "Motion Track" and has fallen into those limitations. Once, it realizes that you're not trying to motion track, it allows you to fly however you want. Sometimes it gives up easily and sometimes it's a bit more difficult.
That makes sense, I never waited it out, just started flying around and it finally went higher.

You need the controller to fly further or the Beacon but w/o the controller it flies so slow. It's not like DJI drones where you can let it rip and end up 500m in no time.

whenever I turn on skyd
When ever I turn it on, Skyio2 it automatically goes into motion track mode. I always hit hover to get it out of MT mode, bc I don't want it to randomly track someone, I want it to fly around at my command and look at things that I want to see. Seems like glorified selfies was their primary intention for ever making this thing in the first place and then they had to add other functions to be able to sell it outside their circle of friends and family.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup