Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

New User Recommendations

Reaction score
I'll be taking possession of my new Skydio 2+ soon. Is there any pearls of wisdom or experiential learnings that you could share with me so I avoid any unnecessary frustration? I'm getting the Cinematic kit - I like to still fly a drone (and want to learn Keyframes), but also keen to use the Beacon for tracking from time to time. From the YouTube videos I've watched, flying by the app can be a good thing for just quickly getting up and taking some video/photos? I've heard it said that the best camera is the one you've got with you. Following that sage advice, if I had just the drone, Beacon and my iPhone, is that a reasonable expectation to do?

Thank you in advance. :giggle:

I think your expectations seem reasonable from my experience with the drone. I've use my controller less than 1% of the time so its not been an essential accessory for me.

My suggestions:
Practice with it, esp before tasking it with a difficult flight. For me that's really helped with successful flights and getting out of tricky situations.
Power up and check for updates before leaving the house, they are a real PITA if you get stuck doing one in the field.
Depending on where you fly I'd get familiar with the "Find my Drone" function, it can save allot of headaches if you're searching for it.
Carry a spare SD card with you, I keep one tucked one under the foam in the drone's case lid.
Wipe down the camera lenses before flying.
Bring a spare prop of each direction along in the case.
Auto seems to give me the best white balance when the drone will be facing the sun during it's flight.
The cost of drone insurance is a really good deal if and when you need it.

That's all the pearls I have, good luck!

Two majors from me:

For tracking autonomous flight get out and test somewhere in the wide open with no obstructions if possible. I'm gonna throw a BS unconfirmed statistic but 90% of people (including myself, twice!) crash their Skydio when it unexpectedly hits a thin branch, powerline, or some other very small obstruction. You need to learn to predict where Skydio might go in the environment you are filming in with the angle, height, and mode you set. Fixed track is much more predictable with rapid changes in directions then motion tracking. I almost never use motion tracking due to how unpredictable it is, and you tend to get prop wash on changes in direction.

Learn the range limitations. I only have Skydio2, not the + so can't speak for that model but Skydio2 is notoriously bad on range especially if you are used to DJI drones. I know that's supposed to be improved on Skydio2+ but still it's worth figuring out the limitations early. Range gets worse when you are flying in crowded wifi environments (cities/suburbia) or with lots of blocking obstructions or dramatic changes in elevation. More than once while flying in the mountains I've gone over a ridge that blocked my signal and lost my Skydio connection. I rarely fly mine more than 600 feet away for this reason. Also note when using beacon and phone the range is worse. Skydio will get 'stuck' in heavily tree'd areas. I've had this happen way too many times then I'd care to admit where I've got autonomous flight going and suddenly, I get disconnect with beacon. I have to back track and try to locate the drone which can be tricky if I'm covering a lot of ground quickly. With that said I film a lot in the PNW backcountry where thick pine trees are rampant, Some people never have this problem if filming in open environments. I think Skydio works best in a desert environment when flying autonomously.

I'll be taking possession of my new Skydio 2+ soon. Is there any pearls of wisdom or experiential learnings that you could share with me so I avoid any unnecessary frustration? I'm getting the Cinematic kit - I like to still fly a drone (and want to learn Keyframes), but also keen to use the Beacon for tracking from time to time. From the YouTube videos I've watched, flying by the app can be a good thing for just quickly getting up and taking some video/photos? I've heard it said that the best camera is the one you've got with you. Following that sage advice, if I had just the drone, Beacon and my iPhone, is that a reasonable expectation to do?

Thank you in advance. :giggle:

While waiting the shipping, you can take some minutes to read these and you will have more knowledge about using the skydio drone.

1. Top Tips for Flying Safely With Skydio 2

2. Flight School

3. https://support.skydio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000935174-Where-can-I-fly-my-Skydio-2-2-

Thanks for the tip. However, I live in a country that doesn’t yet sell to consumers - only Enterprise. I’ll just be extra careful! 😉
Precision Autonomy does insurance that will cover Skydio drones - I have made a claim before

Where are you based?

I've been flying Skydio 2/2+ in Perth over 2 years now

Reactions: Downunderwonder
Precision Autonomy does insurance that will cover Skydio drones - I have made a claim before

Where are you based?

I've been flying Skydio 2/2+ in Perth over 2 years now
Over in Qld. Been an effort to make the purchase. I’ll have a look at that for insurance. Do they have a max timeframe to sign up (like Care)?
EDIT - Just looked at their site and it seems to cater for commercial use, not recreational. Is that your experience?

Last edited:
Reactions: Riskybusiness
Over in Qld. Been an effort to make the purchase. I’ll have a look at that for insurance. Do they have a max timeframe to sign up (like Care)?
EDIT - Just looked at their site and it seems to cater for commercial use, not recreational. Is that your experience?
I'm in Brisbane about to pull the trigger on the skydio2+ Enterprise for building and services inspections (Roof equipment and potentially inside buildings provide I can pull together a bullet proof SWMS. Still have to get all my licensing in order first so the whole thing is costing a bomb! This is going to be an expensive addition to my business if it chews a cable mid flight. Make me feel better about my impending decision.... go!

I'm in Brisbane about to pull the trigger on the skydio2+ Enterprise for building and services inspections (Roof equipment and potentially inside buildings provide I can pull together a bullet proof SWMS. Still have to get all my licensing in order first so the whole thing is costing a bomb! This is going to be an expensive addition to my business if it chews a cable mid flight. Make me feel better about my impending decision.... go!
I’m just a recreational pilot. Unable to comment on the value of paying for Enterprise. It took me a while to get over no consumer Skydio being available here even though Skydio advertise sales here and NZ. Enthusiastic about the potential of the drone and looking forward to aligning actual with potential.

I’m just a recreational pilot. Unable to comment on the value of paying for Enterprise. It took me a while to get over no consumer Skydio being available here even though Skydio advertise sales here and NZ. Enthusiastic about the potential of the drone and looking forward to aligning actual with potential.
Realistically as am I

Pretty sure I just provided my ARN and the main use as aerial photography

Coverage for $2k of 'in flight' equipment is about $200pa

$10mil of public liability is another $200

and coverage of the ground based fruit from the Pro Kit $1.5k was about $50pa

Technically the Enterprise Kit through Sphere Drones is the only legit way to get an S2+ outside of going the freight forwarding route (which is what I did)

It does not come with a Beacon and you have to pay for the 3D Scan subscription and I think the only difference is the drone has the secret SD card port available
I've flown the X2 when the Skydio ANZ guys were doing demos in Perth last year and I've seen the enterprise / 3d Scan software in action

Plus the amount of trees I've seen my drone dodge at speed in the last 2 years!

I'd be confident, since inspection is usually happening a lot slower pace and you can intentionally make the 'bubble' smaller to get closer to things

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup