Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Registering with FAA

Trailryder42

Reaction score
So, I read elsewhere that I'm supposed to register my S2 with the FAA under some part 107 for recreational drones. And that you're required to take and pass some recreational safety test.

Understanding the FAA Remote ID Rule​

Here is an article for your information.
Thanks for the link. So, under the Standard Remote i d law that covers the SD2, they're not required to be registered until Sept. of 2023, when the rule goes into effect.

That article just says that Skydio is working with the FAA to become compliant. Anyone know if currently sold SD2 and it's software IS yet?

I assume then, I can fly for almost 2 years, until the rule goes into effect, before needing to register my drone and myself?

There are new rules and old. The old rules have required us to be registered as, at a minimum, recreational flyers for a few years. Thats why I talked about an FAA sticker on my Mavic and on S2 in your ID thread.

Earlier this year they came out with the requirement to pass a test. Its easy, google can find ya info on it. I remember a post elsewhere by dronegirl or something similar with a link I used. I carry the Faa card they sent me in my wallet and a printed certificate of course completion in with my drone stuff.

As I understand it, the new rules will have a requirement for the drone to broadcast ID info via cell signals...similar to how airplanes do, but totally different system...obviously. S2 drones currently have no ability to broadcast ID. Possibly an attachment of some sort will be required.

Its not clear to me how one is supposed to fly drone and comply with these rules when flying where there are no cell towers within reach.

There are new rules and old. The old rules have required us to be registered as, at a minimum, recreational flyers for a few years. Thats why I talked about an FAA sticker on my Mavic and on S2 in your ID thread.

Earlier this year they came out with the requirement to pass a test. Its easy, google can find ya info on it. I remember a post elsewhere by dronegirl or something similar with a link I used. I carry the Faa card they sent me in my wallet and a printed certificate of course completion in with my drone stuff.

As I understand it, the new rules will have a requirement for the drone to broadcast ID info via cell signals...similar to how airplanes do, but totally different system...obviously. S2 drones currently have no ability to broadcast ID. Possibly an attachment of some sort will be required.

Its not clear to me how one is supposed to fly drone and comply with these rules when flying where there are no cell towers within reach.
I've spent the afternoon perusing the FAA sites that have to do with recreational flying, 14 CFR Part 107, Exception for Limited Operation of Unmanned Aircraft (USC 44809) and Advisory Circular 91-57B.

From what I'm reading, if a drone doesn't have the ability to broadcast, they're working on a "module" that does the broadcasting, that you have to affix to the drone.

Found the TRUST safety test. And yes, they want you to have a record that you've taken and passed it, on you when flying and must be able to show it when asked by LEOs or the FAA.

And when registering, you get 1 FAA # i.d. number that goes on all your drones.

I've been doing some more looking around and finding a lot of folks discovering that they have been "anonymously" reported to the FAA. Getting a call from the FAA about their social media videos on YouTube and such, for any monetary income they receive from their content.

The FAA sees that income as "commercial" revenue and exempts you from flying "recreationally" under the recreational rules. They're told of huge fines that can be imposed, upwards of 100k, for not being certified under part 107 as commercial pilots.

From what others have reported, I don't think the tip offs to the FAA are anonymous, as the agents on the phone have indicated to drone owners that they were perusing social media content to find possible violations.

So your options after that are to stop flying and hope the FAA doesn't come after you; stop receiving income on your content ( tho probably wouldn't matter, as the FAA would probably consider retroactive behavior); or you take the part 107 test and pay the fee for a commercial license and edit the narrative of all your content to indicate so.

To their credit tho, it sounds like the FAA agents have been very cordial and explanatory during owner contact and letting you know what you must do to come into compliance. What happens after that is up to you I guess.

Apparently, a lot of these reports seemed to have happened at a time when there were a lot of FAA agents stuck at home during the China Virus lockdowns, trolling social media sites.

• Wow
Reactions: dmac1
You do need to register as a recreational flyer (and take the TRUST test) now. You don't have to worry about the Remote ID portion for a couple years and Skydio will have an update to that effect by then.

If you don't want to worry about commercial use, register next as a Part 107 pilot.

I've registered under recreational for now and if I find myself entering the gray area where commercial could be construed (i.e. online videos, etc.) I'll bite the bullet and register for Part 107.

Even if I don't use it commercially I may do it anyway just to have the extra flexibility that comes with flying under Part 107.

Ray

register your drone, take the trust, go flying. that's all, everything else is fake news.

Since the Skydio is above the 255 gram weight limit it has to be registered as a recreational drone. The registration number has to be displayed on the drone. That registration number can be judged for all the drones you fly recreationally. You can use a marker or some other type of label system. You have to read through the TRUST information on the FAA website and take/pass the test before you can fly. Proof of having passed the test needs to be with you when you fly.

To fly for any commercial purpose (the FAA has a VERY broad definition of commercial purposes) you have to take and pass the part 107 test which is much more difficult than the TRUST test.

if you plan on putting your footage onto social media or Youtube, you need to get the license. the trust test is not enough. this has been documented by numerous people on Youtube who got calls or warnings. This is because the TRUST certification is for personal recreational enjoyment of your drone. But the minute you share the footage, it's no longer personal enjoyment. I don't know anyone that will record all that footage and just watch it themselves. And it doesn't matter how much money you actually make on Youtube or other sites. The potential to earn is what matters.

• Wow
Reactions: kenmavic2zoom
But the minute you share the footage, it's no longer personal enjoyment. I don't know anyone that will record all that footage and just watch it themselves. And it doesn't matter how much money you actually make on Youtube or other sites. The potential to earn is what matters.

I don't think that's right.

The FAA can't go after a video that has the "potential" to make someone money. That's "Minority Report" CACA right there. Merely sharing the footage doesn't make it susceptible to part 107.

Video that is shared on sites like YT for the sole purpose of the enjoyment of others and not for making revenue, is not monetized or making any income from, is not subject to part 107.

Last edited:
I don't think that's right.

The FAA can't go after a video that has the "potential" to make someone money. That's "Minority Report" CACA right there. Merely sharing the footage doesn't make it susceptible to part 107.

Video that is shared on sites like YT for the sole purpose of the enjoyment of others and not for making revenue, is not monetized or making any income from, is not subject to part 107.
Many YouTube sites have received notices and warnings. If you post to YouTube you are not doing for personal enjoyment. If you share thst with other people it is no longer personal.

Many YouTube sites have received notices and warnings. If you post to YouTube you are not doing for personal enjoyment. If you share thst with other people it is no longer personal.
can we not do this here please? we're all friends here, i'd like to keep it that way. :) this "argument" has already been hashed in other drone forums a long time ago so if anyone want to weigh in, why not join the battle and take sides over there where they have no problems going in feet first and trashing each other. drone pilots are our own worse enemy and it's embarrassing sometimes. we have a new drone in the s2+ and cool things to talk about and these types of arguments affect everybody negatively. not trying to mod the forum or anything but the #1 rule is simple: follow the law. that's all we need to say. my 2 cents. happy new year!

yes, i agree. but I wasn't arguing. simply stating what's been shown.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup