Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Request for part from broken Skydio 2 (3D scan for hook plate now available)

skydioconvert

Reaction score
<SNIP>

So I decided if I can't buy it, I may as well make it myself. After spending a few hours while enjoying a couple of beers, I came up with the design below. Printed it in PETG and viola! I can now make as many of these as I want to. I'm making my design free for the community to download and use. So feel free to hop on over to thingiverse and grab the STL. If you don't already own a 3D Printer, you really should! :)

Skydio 2 Rear Left Prop Hanger/Hook Plate by kinryanchan

I have flight tested one battery so far at 14 degrees F. Everything seems good so far but please try this at your own risk. I would strongly recommend printing more than one part so you can stress test and see if it holds up to a reasonable amount of force. Also, as you may have noticed every prop hanger is different on this thing. If this is not the one you need, let me know and I will make them as needed.

<SNIP>
Nice offer.... Thank You

Got me curious about how involved designing and making a 3D printed piece actually is.

Found this link
that really is interesting for anyone thinking about trying 3D printing.

P.S. How many flights have you actually flown with your self made Prop Hangar/Hook Plate?

Ridefreak

Wiki Editor
Reaction score
Anyone got a link to the file, I've got a 3D printer and it'd be nice to have it on hand. It's too cold to print right now using PETG. When it warms up I don't have an issue making some spares but because it's an unheated space I can't do much this time of year.

skydioconvert

Reaction score
Anyone got a link to the file, I've got a 3D printer and it'd be nice to have it on hand. It's too cold to print right now using PETG. When it warms up I don't have an issue making some spares but because it's an unheated space I can't do much this time of year.

Be careful.... think this is only for 1 of the 4 possible configurations.

Reactions: Ridefreak

Ridefreak

Wiki Editor
Reaction score
Thanks, I think it's going to be 2 configurations, the part looks look unique to the motor's rotation direction

scrampker

Reaction score
That feedback speaks volumes for of how Skydio engineering/management feels about DIY repairs.

Losing control over "any" part of the end product manufacturing/assembly/testing is clearly something Skydio plans to avoid.

It would be one thing if users faced long turnarounds after sending their crashed units in for repairs but a 1-2 week wait is turning out to be an industry benchmark that no one else comes close to matching.
I agree that Skydio does not want *ANY* DIY. I got no where with them in terms of building a range extender. Zero cooperation, other than some real basic advice to increase range. (Like find higher elevation.) Now it's time to get out wireshark and see what I can do on my own.

skydioconvert

Reaction score
I agree that Skydio does not want *ANY* DIY. I got no where with them in terms of building a range extender. Zero cooperation, other than some real basic advice to increase range. (Like find higher elevation.) Now it's time to get out wireshark and see what I can do on my own.
Without better antenna designs (in "BOTH" the S2 and the controller), even the best written software can have only do so much.

Way back just after the S2 was released I remember that they were looking for a Antenna Designer. They probably knew about the range problem but couldn't redesign and test a new configuration in a short enough period of time.

scrampker

Reaction score
Without better antenna designs (in "BOTH" the S2 and the controller), even the best written software can have only do so much.

Way back just after the S2 was released I remember that they were looking for a Antenna Designer. They probably knew about the range problem but couldn't redesign and test a new configuration in a short enough period of time.
Mind you, I was not proposing a software solution. I just wanted some cooperation to get the app to work with the hardware/networking solution I came up with.

skydioconvert

Reaction score
Hmm..... think your barking up a tree that maybe already has a development path within Skydio.

Could explain their reluctance to consider your ideas.

Reactions: scrampker

scrampker

Reaction score
Hmm..... think your barking up a tree that maybe already has a development path within Skydio.

Could explain their reluctance to consider your ideas.
This is very likely, and they've already added the external aerials to the X2. Clearly they know the range is garbage. I'm researching broadcasts, non-fowarding UDP, and sniffing the data right now to find out some clues. It might be a lot simpler than I was thinking. You never know.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GiorgioF