Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Request for part from broken Skydio 2 (3D scan for hook plate now available)

<SNIP>

So I decided if I can't buy it, I may as well make it myself. After spending a few hours while enjoying a couple of beers, I came up with the design below. Printed it in PETG and viola! I can now make as many of these as I want to. I'm making my design free for the community to download and use. So feel free to hop on over to thingiverse and grab the STL. If you don't already own a 3D Printer, you really should! :)

Skydio 2 Rear Left Prop Hanger/Hook Plate by kinryanchan

I have flight tested one battery so far at 14 degrees F. Everything seems good so far but please try this at your own risk. I would strongly recommend printing more than one part so you can stress test and see if it holds up to a reasonable amount of force. Also, as you may have noticed every prop hanger is different on this thing. If this is not the one you need, let me know and I will make them as needed.

<SNIP>
Nice offer.... Thank You

Got me curious about how involved designing and making a 3D printed piece actually is.

Found this link
that really is interesting for anyone thinking about trying 3D printing.

P.S. How many flights have you actually flown with your self made Prop Hangar/Hook Plate?

Anyone got a link to the file, I've got a 3D printer and it'd be nice to have it on hand. It's too cold to print right now using PETG. When it warms up I don't have an issue making some spares but because it's an unheated space I can't do much this time of year.

Anyone got a link to the file, I've got a 3D printer and it'd be nice to have it on hand. It's too cold to print right now using PETG. When it warms up I don't have an issue making some spares but because it's an unheated space I can't do much this time of year.

Be careful.... think this is only for 1 of the 4 possible configurations.

Reactions: Ridefreak
Thanks, I think it's going to be 2 configurations, the part looks look unique to the motor's rotation direction

That feedback speaks volumes for of how Skydio engineering/management feels about DIY repairs.

Losing control over "any" part of the end product manufacturing/assembly/testing is clearly something Skydio plans to avoid.

It would be one thing if users faced long turnarounds after sending their crashed units in for repairs but a 1-2 week wait is turning out to be an industry benchmark that no one else comes close to matching.
I agree that Skydio does not want *ANY* DIY. I got no where with them in terms of building a range extender. Zero cooperation, other than some real basic advice to increase range. (Like find higher elevation.) Now it's time to get out wireshark and see what I can do on my own.

I agree that Skydio does not want *ANY* DIY. I got no where with them in terms of building a range extender. Zero cooperation, other than some real basic advice to increase range. (Like find higher elevation.) Now it's time to get out wireshark and see what I can do on my own.
Without better antenna designs (in "BOTH" the S2 and the controller), even the best written software can have only do so much.

Way back just after the S2 was released I remember that they were looking for a Antenna Designer. They probably knew about the range problem but couldn't redesign and test a new configuration in a short enough period of time.

Without better antenna designs (in "BOTH" the S2 and the controller), even the best written software can have only do so much.

Way back just after the S2 was released I remember that they were looking for a Antenna Designer. They probably knew about the range problem but couldn't redesign and test a new configuration in a short enough period of time.
Mind you, I was not proposing a software solution. I just wanted some cooperation to get the app to work with the hardware/networking solution I came up with.

Hmm..... think your barking up a tree that maybe already has a development path within Skydio.

Could explain their reluctance to consider your ideas.

Reactions: scrampker
Hmm..... think your barking up a tree that maybe already has a development path within Skydio.

Could explain their reluctance to consider your ideas.
This is very likely, and they've already added the external aerials to the X2. Clearly they know the range is garbage. I'm researching broadcasts, non-fowarding UDP, and sniffing the data right now to find out some clues. It might be a lot simpler than I was thinking. You never know.

Hey there how can I get a Skydio plate from you. I broke my front right ones, the blue color ones. Do you sell them by any chance.

I broke a hook plate as well. Had my neighbor 3D print me up a new one. Works great.

A friend of mine is a tool & dye maker. He's fabricating me a replacement Hook Plate out of aluminum. I imaging it might weigh a bit more than the original, but it will certainly be stronger.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
hey, so how it is going with a 3d-printed hook, how many hours of flight has it made so far? When I posted on instagram pictures of my 3d printed hooks, skydiohq has immediately commented they are not safe to fly with, that's why I'm now in the works to 3d print from titanium and magnesium alloy

Reactions: FuryRhino
I broke a hook plate as well. Had my neighbor 3D print me up a new one. Works great.

A friend of mine is a tool & dye maker. He's fabricating me a replacement Hook Plate out of aluminum. I imaging it might weigh a bit more than the original, but it will certainly be stronger.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Would you consider selling me a 3D printed one ?
I'm running out of ideas here.
If anyone has a broken Skydio 2 that they have replaced I'm looking for the hook plate or prop plate off of one of the blue motors. It's the little plate held on with two torx screws.

My Skydio decided it wanted to fly into a tree while following my vehicle off-road which broke one of the nubs on the hook plate, the drone still flies fine but I'd like to replace the part so I know the propeller won't come off in flight.

I have tried reaching out to Skydio but they don't answer their phones and have so far not gotten back to me, the one person I have found that had this piece broke had to send the drone into Skydio as they would not sell the part separately.

If anyone would be willing to sell me the part so I can get the drone going again it would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I also had posted this on reddit and /U/thebirdsrchasingme came through:

"
Sorry for coming late to the party but I stumbled across this conversation after I crashed my S2 on my very first flight--got it 2 days ago and killed it yesterday. Like others, it snagged on a tree brach and exploded 2 props plus the RL hanger.

I initially uploaded the flight log and reached out to Skydio for help but got impatient and tried to look for replacement parts on the internet and found nothing. I've been flying DJI drones since the Phantom 3 and you can find just about any part for dirt cheap so I'm really not used to this.

So I decided if I can't buy it, I may as well make it myself. After spending a few hours while enjoying a couple of beers, I came up with the design below. Printed it in PETG and viola! I can now make as many of these as I want to. I'm making my design free for the community to download and use. So feel free to hop on over to thingiverse and grab the STL. If you don't already own a 3D Printer, you really should! :)

Skydio 2 Rear Left Prop Hanger/Hook Plate by kinryanchan

I have flight tested one battery so far at 14 degrees F. Everything seems good so far but please try this at your own risk. I would strongly recommend printing more than one part so you can stress test and see if it holds up to a reasonable amount of force. Also, as you may have noticed every prop hanger is different on this thing. If this is not the one you need, let me know and I will make them as needed.

As a side note, I completely agree with everyone here that Skydio shouldn't treat us like a bunch of 3 year olds. We're all adults that can take responsibility for our own (stupid) actions. :)

Happy flying everyone!"

All thanks go to him, if someone needs another of the hook plates besides this one, let me know and I'll reach out to him.
Is anyone selling these 3D printed hook plates ?

Does anyone know if this is the grey or blue prop hook for the rear? I know it says "rear left", which is what I need but I'm just checking before I order PETG since all I have on hand is PLA which won't be strong enough.

I printed a great replacement but its this is the Left Rear and I needed a Right Rear. Does anyone had a .stl of the RR?

So does anyone have a lead how I can get one or someone who’s willing to sell one ?

The LR hook plate .stl is gone. Anyone got it and willing to share?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup