Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Return Skydio2 for 2+

Gadgetdude

Reaction score
I would like others to give me their opinion on what you would do if you were in my place.

I purchased the Skydio 2 December 22 and received it December 29th. Do I return the Skydio 2 and purchase the 2+? It really is only a difference is just under $100. Although I will have to pay for return shipping.

Is it a no brainer to get the new improved one?

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
I would like others to give me their opinion on what you would do if you were in my place.

I purchased the Skydio 2 December 22 and received it December 29th. Do I return the Skydio 2 and purchase the 2+? It really is only a difference is just under $100. Although I will have to pay for return shipping.

If Its possible to trade up within the 30 day window, definitely trade up you won’t regret it. The Pro package is probably the best route to go, if your pocket book allows.

Reactions: Ridefreak

I purchased my S2 shortly before yours, but here is an idea. You can just keep flying the 2 and really get good with it. Or alternatively get the 2+ and then fly the 2 like ya stole it. : )

Reactions: kenmavic2zoom
Thank you and appreciate your responses. So I was going to return and exchange, HOWEVER, I just did a UPS shipping estimate to ship back per ground and it is $186. Ridiculous. I guess I am keeping the Skydio 2.

I’d return it, in heartbeat.

Where are you returning from? That sounds awfully high.

USPS can be fairly cheap even with priority.

I almost bought a new Pro 2 kit on EBay the night before for $400 less. So glad I passed on it.

So if Skydio charged my card, Tuesday, does that mean they likely shipped it?

OK my mistake! I had entered in the wrong dimensions for the box. I was at work and guessed what the size of box was. Having arrived home I measured true dimensions of box and it comes in at $67 to ship back. Still a bit hIgh but not as bad as I thought. I am in Orlando, FL. So coast to coast.

You should get a text confirming they shipped with a tracking number.
Not yet. I just checked my last email from them. They said ships in 5-7 days. You can also install some Shop tracking app and it shows only “ordered”.

Funny you ask, I just obtained an RMA to return my Skydio 2 Cinema kit and ordered the Skydio 2+ Pro kit. I had no issues obtaining the RMA because it was within the 30 day window and they were very nice about it.

I'd say it's definitely worth it, esp for the extended range. At the least you'll extend the value of your drone by a couple years getting the newest model available.

Anyway Skydio takes 5-7 days to ship out per usual so I'm guessing around that time unless they are backlogged with new orders.

Ray

P.S. Am currently in the Gainesville, Florida area. Small world!

Reactions: BTCI and Ridefreak
OK my mistake! I had entered in the wrong dimensions for the box. I was at work and guessed what the size of box was. Having arrived home I measured true dimensions of box and it comes in at $67 to ship back. Still a bit hIgh but not as bad as I thought. I am in Orlando, FL. So coast to coast.
Keep in mind. Increased range really means increased signal to noise !!

You could be 500ft out and get hit with interference that you have no control over. Better signal to noise at any range is better.

Thank you and appreciate your responses. So I was going to return and exchange, HOWEVER, I just did a UPS shipping estimate to ship back per ground and it is $186. Ridiculous. I guess I am keeping the Skydio 2.
I was thinking along the same lines when I read that announcement because Mine arrived about 2 weeks ago. The big difference between the two is really mostly the pop up antennas to give you more range. I asked myseeelf if that was something I even really wanted. Sure a bit more range would be nice, but what if those pop up antennas are a weat point? What if they break off? What if they get caught on things?

The Skydio 2 is a well developed, well known entity; the Skydio 2+ is still unknown.

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
pirateship.com

Reactions: BTCI and RiverEagle
Funny you ask, I just obtained an RMA to return my Skydio 2 Cinema kit and ordered the Skydio 2+ Pro kit. I had no issues obtaining the RMA because it was within the 30 day window and they were very nice about it.

I'd say it's definitely worth it, esp for the extended range. At the least you'll extend the value of your drone by a couple years getting the newest model available.

Anyway Skydio takes 5-7 days to ship out per usual so I'm guessing around that time unless they are backlogged with new orders.

Ray

P.S. Am currently in the Gainesville, Florida area. Small world!
I had the same thoughts. So I submitted to support a request to upgrade to the 2+ pro. Original drone was shipped 12/14. Received on 12/23. Concerned if they will upgrade because the order was placed on 12/2.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: RiverEagle

In my opinion, there is no need to do so.

Maybe it's because Skydio 2 is not the only drone in my fleet list.

I received my Skydio 2 last month. After flying several times and doing a lot of homework, I now have a clearer understanding of the performance of Skydio 2.

This is an experience of mine, and the most important thing which I learn is the key decision is only based on my true needs. Therefore, a better practice for you may be to return to your fleet list and check your real needs.

To be honest, if one of your main needs is "long-distance aerial photography", you may want to consider other drones other than Skydio 2+.

For me, Skydio 2 is good enough. Especially in his domain of strength, it is superb and the best.

But when manual flight is more needed, I don't necessarily let my Skydio 2 perform such flight missions.

I will fly my other drones.

And, with such a combination of drones and missions, I actually achieved greater results.

However, in addition to gaining a longer flight distance of Skydio 2+, there is nothing else Skydio 2 can't achieve.

In other words, the replacement may not make much differences.

On the contrary, the two antennas of the new Skydio 2+ do not seem to be as lean as the original Skydio 2.

Are the two pop up antennas from the surface of the drone really good for flying? I just don't think so.

If someone tells me that there are two major pop ups on the surface of the aircraft, and they will not have any effect on the flight, if someone really tells me so, I think I may need to keep some doubts.

Therefore, in my opinion, it is not necessary to do such a replacement.

Of course, the final decision is yours, and I can only provide very limited information for reference.

Last edited:
I was thinking along the same lines when I read that announcement because Mine arrived about 2 weeks ago. The big difference between the two is really mostly the pop up antennas to give you more range. I asked myseeelf if that was something I even really wanted. Sure a bit more range would be nice, but what if those pop up antennas are a weat point? What if they break off? What if they get caught on things?

The Skydio 2 is a well developed, well known entity; the Skydio 2+ is still unknown.
+1

My idea is also close to Squitters's.

This upgrade has given me greater and longer-term confidence in Skydio.

Therefore, what I want to do now is to fly more and use Skydio 2 more intensively.

Because, if I do this, I will have a good reasons to have Skydio 3 when it is launched. ^__^

I had the same thoughts. So I submitted to support a request to upgrade to the 2+ pro. Original drone was shipped 12/14. Received on 12/23. Concerned if they will upgrade because the order was placed on 12/2.

Fingers crossed.
It should be from when you received the actual drone. Not when you placed the order. BTW you just have to request to return it and they will respond with a computer generated response of ‘we are sorry you are disappointed in your purchase is there anything we can do to remedy it’ blah blah blah and include a RMA number and instructions to return. I responded to the email saying I really like the Skydio and just wanted to exchange for newer model and got a generic response that basically came from a computer. So all you have option to do is return and get credit and purchase the Skydio2* as new order.

I am also under the impression they are super overwhelmed right now as I purchased the hand controller on 12/28 and it still has not shipped.

+1

My idea is also close to Squitters's.

This upgrade has given me greater and longer-term confidence in Skydio.

Therefore, what I want to do now is to fly more and use Skydio 2 more intensively.

Because, if I do this, I will have a good reasons to have Skydio 3 when it is launched. ^__^
Exactly! Now, if the 2+ had a camera with a 1" sensor with variable aperature and low light flying ability, I'd be a way more upset that I had missed out. Now, iff they make a Skydio 3 with a good remote and a 1" sensor for the camera, I'd probably be happy with having both the 2 and 3.

Reactions: Sky Cyclist

Fingers crossed.

I can confirm what @Gadgetdude says — the 30 day period starts when delivery is completed.

Good move!
Ray

I bet it has better range even with Antennas down. It has a new radio in it. New radio in the beacon too. And longer range batteries. Also the Care plan looks great, also new to my understanding, especially when it’s included with the Pro kit. I wouldn’t blink an eye upgrading if you have the option.

Kind a silly to have the Xmas sale and then announce the new Drone.

Still confused why the Controller isn’t a plus as well. Does it use the phone (since the phone can run it too) or beacon to talk to the Drone?

BTW 5G has less range typically. More bandwidth and better handling of interference. DJI drones usually switch to 2.4Ghz when further out if I’m Automatic band mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup