Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Return Skydio2 for 2+

I bet it has better range even with Antennas down. It has a new radio in it. New radio in the beacon too. And longer range batteries. Also the Care plan looks great, also new to my understanding, especially when it’s included with the Pro kit. I wouldn’t blink an eye upgrading if you have the option.

Kind a silly to have the Xmas sale and then announce the new Drone.

Still confused why the Controller isn’t a plus as well. Does it use the phone (since the phone can run it too) or beacon to talk to the Drone?

BTW 5G has less range typically. More bandwidth and better handling of interference. DJI drones usually switch to 2.4Ghz when further out if I’m Automatic band mode.
The controller isn't the nicest, for a premium drone it's kind of cheap feeling. Cheap gimbals and cheap feeling plastic. It does the job, but it won't replace a Mavic. I didn't buy it to get away from Mavics, they're very different.

I agree that having a Christmas sale and announcing an improved model days after Christmas sucks, big time.

As for returning it, it's not worth it to me. The shipping and time delay are deal breakers; besides I already registered it with Transport Canada.

The controller isn't the nicest, for a premium drone it's kind of cheap feeling. Cheap gimbals and cheap feeling plastic. It does the job, but it won't replace a Mavic. I didn't buy it to get away from Mavics, they're very different.

I agree that having a Christmas sale and announcing an improved model days after Christmas sucks, big time.

As for returning it, it's not worth it to me. The shipping and time delay are deal breakers; besides I already registered it with Transport Canada.
I know the controller is junky. Just curious why it’s range goes up on new Beacon with new radio but it also goes up on the old controller with the old radio. They both doubled. Maybe it was a chip shortage thing on the Beacon. I think I did read the old beacon has more range with the new drone.

I’m hoping they will eventually release a better controller that’s compatible some day. But I’m not holding my breath for it.

I know the controller is junky. Just curious why it’s range goes up on new Beacon with new radio but it also goes up on the old controller with the old radio. They both doubled. Maybe it was a chip shortage thing on the Beacon. I think I did read the old beacon has more range with the new drone.

I’m hoping they will eventually release a better controller that’s compatible some day. But I’m not holding my breath for it.

According to the information I got from recent research, the combination of the old Skydio 2 and the new 2+ Beacon will not expand the operating range of use.

You will have only one option to extend the range: Have a new Skydio 2+

As for me, I will choose another drone other than Skydio 2+ for long range mission.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squitters
I was referring to 2+ drone. Curious why the old controller with old radio gets such a large boost with 2+ drone in range but the beacon required a new radio to get that same boost.

I was referring to 2+ drone. Curious why the old controller with old radio gets such a large boost with 2+ drone in range but the beacon required a new radio to get that same boost.
So, there's an update to extend the range of the Skydio 2 and the old controller? What is the new range? Do you have a link to the new specs?

As for the beacon, I really don't care about the range. I really only want that for following me, and it'd have to be closer to get video footage of that anyway.

My thinking is that, if the update for the Skydio 2 and controller give it similar range to the Skydio 2+, and you have both the controller and the beacon, there's not much reason to upgrade.

EDIT: I just noticed on the Skydio website that the Enterprise controller will now work with the Skydio 2/2+

From the website:

Skydio Enterprise Controller​

Your Skydio Enterprise Controller can now be used to control Skydio 2 and Skydio 2+.

If I'd return anything, it'd be my controller as the Enterprise controller looks way better! That'd be amazing! I contacted Skydio this morning to ask if it was possible to return the controller I got a couple of weeks ago and get the Enterprise controller instead. I didn't see it listed as an accessory anywhere on the website, so I have no idea how much it costs.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UpAboveVisuals