Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio 2 Crash Video

What I suspect is happening is the video stream at the point of writing to the SD card is 3~5 seconds behind what the sensor is seeing. I've seen it a few times on mine.

During a bad enough impact there is an interruption of power, that's the split second the camera goes dead but the writing of the data to the card is behind that by a few seconds, That the buffered data is still in the stream when the power is lost and it gets lost as a result.
I agree with you as to the 3-5 sec aspect, but wonder if anyone has done a test of what goes on when you land the drone and the app says 'processing' or some similar message before it gets to 'ready to fly'.

I have always figured its writing the footage to the card, so I don't turn off my drone until it is done, but I am not sure if I need to. Do you guys all wait?? Will it continue to write to the card even if the drone is turned off if the battery is left in?

Presuming thats what it is doing, I think @jamez247 could test this via landing the drone in hand, and immediately removing the battery, and thus interrupt the writing of the last few seconds of the landing footage.

I'm pretty sure that's it trying to upload the sound from the phone to go with the video on the drone if it says processing video after a flight. I don't turn it off the second it hits my hand but it's pretty quick after that like a couple steps later, never look at the phone to see if it's doing anything. Turned off recording sound so it doesn't try and do that. If you look at the video the drone stops recording about one second after it hits your hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmac1
I'm pretty sure that's it trying to upload the sound from the phone to go with the video on the drone if it says processing video after a flight. I don't turn it off the second it hits my hand but it's pretty quick after that like a couple steps later, never look at the phone to see if it's doing anything. Turned off recording sound so it doesn't try and do that. If you look at the video the drone stops recording about one second after it hits your hand.
I'm pretty sure I have record audio off, but will double check. Good to know I dont need to wait. Thanks

pretty sure any lost footage was footage in the buffer that wasn't written down in time before there was a disconnect to the memory card.

there's no way to avoid usage of a buffer because the smaller the buffer is, the more chances you have of glitches in your data. all you can hope for is all the data gets written before the disconnect.

Then I guess it must vary from drone to drone. The two S 2s that collided were purchased at the same time Footage on one shows the S2 fly bin to the scene hover for a few seconds and then fly forward 15 or so feet right in front not the other WS2 real close and then the video ends one of the other footage the S2 flies write-up close to the other and then the video ends. the footage on the other S2 it co mes in to the screen hovers about 15 ft. away and that the end of the video

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup