Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio 2 Price Increase!

I'd imagine the cost to repair is going to go through the roof as well. Another reason to be careful out there...

I'd imagine the cost to repair is going to go through the roof as well. Another reason to be careful out there...
Actually, this will be true test... if repair costs for the Gimbal / Motors / Sensors stay the same, we can conclude that the price hike was because of the chip components, not the other mechanical bits.

Who wants to volunteer to wreck their drone for science?

Reactions: kgilbertsen
Actually, this will be true test... if repair costs for the Gimbal / Motors / Sensors stay the same, we can conclude that the price hike was because of the chip components, not the other mechanical bits.

Haha ? NOT ME!

As mine is enrote to them for gimble repair ill let you know.

Well what happened was it lost a war against a branch. I was flying the drone tethered to the beacon and had it in front and left of my Motorcycle As high up as the beacon could go. Up high and away from low trees that popped up along the road. As I road along the drone @ a speed of +/- 70km (on gravel so more likely slower, just a guess) The drone decided to get close in until it was only 2 to 3 meters off the ground and same away from me. This autonomous act placed it in harms way and before i was able to stop and adjust it was all over.

I reached out to Skydio that eve and it took two weeks of patiently waiting for a reply. After contact with them things went at the usual pace when it comes to RMA. Thy deemed it operator error. SO i sent it in for repair. Sadly they did something wrong with the paper work and its still being held by FedEx for improper labeling. 5 weeks its been in transit to them.
Ah well not a life or death issue so we wait.

Really i was lucky as there was no damage to the drone at all and it landed on gravel road. Battery blew out and missed the pond by centimeters! Just a wierd warble effect in the videos recorded post crash. As well as an audible vibration noise when ever the gimble activates as you rotate the drone by hand.

Well what happened was it lost a war against a branch. I was flying the drone tethered to the beacon and had it in front and left of my Motorcycle As high up as the beacon could go. Up high and away from low trees that popped up along the road. As I road along the drone @ a speed of +/- 70km (on gravel so more likely slower, just a guess) The drone decided to get close in until it was only 2 to 3 meters off the ground and same away from me. This autonomous act placed it in harms way and before i was able to stop and adjust it was all over.

I reached out to Skydio that eve and it took two weeks of patiently waiting for a reply. After contact with them things went at the usual pace when it comes to RMA. Thy deemed it operator error. SO i sent it in for repair. Sadly they did something wrong with the paper work and its still being held by FedEx for improper labeling. 5 weeks its been in transit to them.
Ah well not a life or death issue so we wait.

Really i was lucky as there was no damage to the drone at all and it landed on gravel road. Battery blew out and missed the pond by centimeters! Just a wierd warble effect in the videos recorded post crash. As well as an audible vibration noise when ever the gimble activates as you rotate the drone by hand.
Yeah, after buying from both Skydio and DJI, I'm 100% sure those gimbals are the most fragile things followed by the propellers.

True story! I have not heard anything on the cost of a repair, i suspect itll be a third the purchase price.

A 35% increase is over the top regardless of chips or advanced technology. Other brands haven't approached that margin, the Autel EVO2 Thermal offers a lower priced model now that is being accepted regardless of non-FLIR sensor. DJI introduced 2 or 3 new products during the covid induced shortages without a significant price increase.

On the other side... there's Resale value for Preowned. The price of the S2 kit "used" can now increase too. If one is in the market to sale a mint S2 Kit the price may be a profitable sale vs an acceptable loss. I'd agree that Skydio's focus isn't consumer or prosumer markets, the lack of apps or services also indicates low interest in competing in these markets. Their focus has been large enterprise or Govt (military included). The scare of DJI / Chinese bans wasn't passed by Congress although some state agencies or private jumped on that band wagon early... some have reverted that position due to budgets and requirements met by other brands. Military examines & entertains many options and evaluates many tangents... the X2 may be a great fit, but I doubt other brands or designs will get fully booted; Small micro disposable crafts and inexpensive packages will continue to be an asset for several tasks.

As a Veteran from the 70-80's, multiple years in Pentagon, Top secret & NATO Cosmic clearances and still in the Federal Govt nearing retirement. I take special pride in American fortitude, ingenuity, and motivation to succeed but sadly I've noticed that's a minority lately... the majority desire other prosperities through simpler means that aren't obtainable with the direction we've been on for 30+ years. One of our previous Opponents that we over came said they'll win next time, but through economics; those building blocks have been under construction for many years that we've gladly accepted... another Opponent stated America plans the next battle, he plans the next 20 years... things take time to change, wanting the old USA to bounce back may not be the shared viewpoint of others... and we've willingly given them multiple strengths over the years.

I haven't used my S2 Kit much, it's a great platform for the narrow niche focus intended but that's also a narrow application of sUAV's in whole. The recent DJI FPV has excited the cinematography industry for areas similar to the application intended for the S2, but gets in closer, lower, faster and adds visual angles & perspectives not obtainable even with S2's AI and challenges the pricey CGA special effects industry in production budgets. Originally thought to be a risky avenue to venture.... blend cinematography, stability and FPV turned out to be a positive venture beyond what analyst or Reviewers speculated. That too (DJI FPV), I think is a testing platform of more to come with more technologies... that is becoming a new venture in sUAV and another example of "creating" a market... that may become a profitable avenue not even considered by American industry... and it wasn't stolen, it was created through experience in the technology and analysis of markets.

The sUAV technology was truly crafted by American motivation, originally, like the computer industry motivated by military. But like all products need to compete & grow, the American industry didn't even attempt to compete feeling confident they held the market... they viewed market as a narrow Govt / Enterprise market, not a retail consumer... a mistake later realized. The prosumer / consumer sUAV market provided a profitable foundation to build on... making an industry giant we now criticize. We also opened our Universities, Companies and land assets to the Asian & Slavic Countries and they quickly took every opportunity and returned to Homeland to practice... so not only didn't we compete; we educated, trained and sold them assets for short term profit. Continues today (started in 80's... 40yrs), the majority of STEM majors in Universities are profitable seats filled by Foreign Students, many sponsored by their Countries to return and put to practice. Their expertise began to advance within their Countries often exceeding American technologies; their advancement in STEM motivated skills has easily surpassed the American younger generations and that will prove productive in long term over studies of law, finance & political science that may provide a "self motivated individual profit" but not serving to advance the society or nation... it's made us more dependent on others, we essentially placed low value on STEM skills and positions.

Now we're wanting to change the economic direction, but we haven't motivated or communicated that to the younger generations... we've done the opposite. Computer sciences, electronics, scientist, mathematics aren't our strong suit globally anymore, we're fortunate that many of these foreign students decide to remain & become citizens... simply venture into any American technology industry, those people will be the majority force behind American STEM driven technologies with a few Marketing, Legal and Political Science Owners or Chiefs reaping huge individual gains.

It's not as simple as flipping the national "switch" of economics & product. No one's eager to pay 4-10x the price for blue jeans, shoes, cell phones, cameras, computers, etc. That economic gear needs to mesh with many other gears and sadly the long road will depend on younger generations where the majority aren't currently motivated to pursue higher challenging paths anywhere near other nationalities' younger generations. The cost of American product is justified, the X2 is worth it's technology assets? Does that hold true for other products; clothes, household appliances, furniture, etc. Ever priced Kitchen cabinets made by local woodsmith, most will gladly accept foreign made cabinets, dishwashers, etc. The S2 AI is superior to other products is true, although optical sensors, gyros and programing technology isn't and if the market had the demand I'm confident it'd be provided at a lower cost; currently that narrow focus isn't viewed as a profitable venture by others.

Other brands: DJI, Autel, Parrot, etc... particularly DJI meet the other needs that... at least in my arena are more in demand. Construction, Ag, Cinematography and the need for multiple platforms; using Full Frame payloads, multiple lenses, or specialized Ag focused sensors. Daylight work that transitions to evening work such as SAR and Thermal takes products or features not within the scope of the S2 or X2. A small town or large city's budget is limited and needing multiple units doesn't justify high cost per unit, quite the opposite they seek assets obtainable that serve the purpose at the lowest cost... recall lowest bidder rules meeting specifications of most Govt entities. Some agencies within Govt can justify the high cost, mainly due to the disassociation of the money within that budget (easy to spend other's money), although that's not the norm for cities and towns using residents taxes or Govt agencies allocated small budgets. LEOs, USMS, Security Services have many needs beyond sUAV's. I've noticed the DJI M300 with it's multiple payloads and M2EA & EVO2 Thermal have been replacing the M210 & M2E among all these agencies, not the Skydio X2.

The X2 and S2 are great platforms, although the enterprise & military can change requirements rapidly and if slow to meet new requirements, which Skydio has displayed; that opens the door for others to introduce new products. Personally, pushing the consumer market away may be a bitter pill as much as sweet; having alternate markets have saved several companies that contracted with Govt & Military and they started with more breathing room than Skydio.

Whew..... you lose a lot of readers by not keeping your posts short.

In one to two sentences what point are you trying to make?

Whew..... you lose a lot of readers by not keeping your posts short.

In one to two sentences what point are you trying to make?
Indirectly, you've reinforced one of the points... it's a quick read with multiple points. Want only 1 or 2 sentences, not much depth... quick summation? If interested read, make comments, won't make sense to some and others will lock on. No worries.

Indirectly, you've reinforced one of the points... it's a quick read with multiple points. Want only 1 or 2 sentences, not much depth... quick summation? If interested read, make comments, won't make sense to some and others will lock on. No worries.
Government employees are taught to start the premise of their position with an Executive Summary ... the reason is obvious... depth comes later if the reader wishes more information.

Good writing skills also demand a similar technique in how both the first and last sentence of paragraph attract the readers attention.

Way off topic here so your free to have the last word...

Government employees are taught to start the premise of their position with an Executive Summary ... the reason is obvious... depth comes later if the reader wishes more information.

Good writing skills also demand a similar technique in how both the first and last sentence of paragraph attract the readers attention.

Way off topic here so your free to have the last word...
Still didn't read it eh?
You know all about the Govt, that's great... I don't. I've adapted to many different formats & templates with various agenicies. I wasn't "taught" by the Govt in this subject, wasn't aware of such course (kidding). I elected a University track prior that has served well in my Govt & Prvt sector roles, including Technical Teaching.. not grammatical.

Sorry this is an informal post, not an ExSum, Technical or Briefing, the post flows and with substance.

This is a little forum, small membership and I've read several of yours... some lengthy ramblings, low receptivness and often replies have challenge taken off subject vs discussion of content... Similar to this one.

Appreciate your comments, Noted.
Off to cycling!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rayrrr