Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio 2 Questions

This tech has been around for a while. The Typhoon H uses the GPS in the Wizard Wand or ST16 controller, my Halo the tracking puck. GPS follow is solid because the sun, trees and other objects don't cause you to lose the subject. I often see "GPS Tracking" with my S2 when I go behind a tree or get too far out. Once the S2 reaquires the subject it locks on with optical.

When using the beacon it uses the beacon GPS, when using a phone or tablet it uses the built in GPS. More sophisticated OS's like the Parrot Anafi also can use the device barometer to track the subject altitude.

DJI went all optical tracking with Active Track which I think was a big mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: LivinLarge
Ok, but if you don't have/use a beacon, from where does the 2nd GPS input come from?

EDIT: I think LivinLarge's last post answers that question.
Likely the GPS in the phone.

I often see "GPS Tracking" with my S2 when I go behind a tree or get too far out. Once the S2 requires the subject it locks on with optical.
I always use the beacon, I'm not sure which update I noticed this but now every time I launch the SD I see the GPS tracking indication on the phone screen around the subject (I connect both devices during flights). Interestingly, I usually distance it out to the second closest standoff distance and the tracking has been bulletproof, liberally launch the drone and ride away for 20min. It was never that good previously. I think it was after the update with the increased standoff distance. I'm on a motorcycle which it smaller then a jeep and a little harder to visually track so that might have something to do with it. Ether way I'm not complaining. To me tracking has improved allot since the release.

According the SD
"If the Beacon holder is not standing in front of Skydio 2 and they tap the Skydio button, Skydio 2 will use the GPS signal from the Beacon to locate the subject. This significantly improves Beacon tracking performance when starting from a ground launch and allows for a strong visual tracking lock. Please note this change only affects ground takeoffs. When performing a hand launch with the Beacon, Skydio 2 will still automatically turn around and lock on the pilot as normal."

I always hand launch so I don't go through this step.

Last edited:
Reactions: LivinLarge

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup