Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio Announces X2, Not For Sale To Existing Customers

Jim

Reaction score
I was surprised and very disappointed this morning to be told by Skydio that they’re not planning to make the X2 available to existing customers, only to large enterprises in large orders - it was described as “reserved for larger-scale operations which include Skydio X2 and the new Enterprise Skills.”

Reactions: Portolo
Agree with your disappointment. Strongly suggests a large change in direction for the company.

Did they provide any insight into the availability and pricing of House Scan and 3D scan for Skydio 2?

That’s an interesting direction they’re taking. Recently read a bit on the X2 and they commented it was a successful new product largely due to their customer base of the S2 and I got the opinion they were wanting to expand including S2 Owners with the X2.

I received an email response expressing similar the X2 for enterprise, indicating the X2 was more focused to large enterprise but their new Enterprise Software products will be available for the S2 as well. Was encouraged to examine the software options in the near future.

The X2 is not for consumer, but I expect they'll incorporate some of the features on S3, "Skydio 2 Redux" or something along that line...

Cheers.

The X2 is not for consumer, but I expect they'll incorporate some of the features on S3, "Skydio 2 Redux" or something along that line...

Cheers.
The software enterprise modules apparently will be available to the S2. The email Kelly (Skydio) sent to me indicated when a available in near future, several of my comments to perform (3D modeling, mapping, etc) will be met by using the new software modules offered as optional purchases. Also got the impression there were FW updates to enhance the S2 to use the optional software.

Although, I'd agree, if X2 remains off the list to consumers there will most likely be a S3 variant with additional hardware features... one being ability to fly in low light/darkness.

Reactions: Ridefreak
Although, I'd agree, if X2 remains off the list to consumers there will most likely be a S3 variant with additional hardware features... one being ability to fly in low light/darkness.

And the ability to be stored in folded position.

If Skydio can incorporate an 1" sensor on their next consumer drone, that will be wonderful.

Cheers.

The software enterprise modules apparently will be available to the S2. The email Kelly (Skydio) sent to me indicated when a available in near future, several of my comments to perform (3D modeling, mapping, etc) will be met by using the new software modules offered as optional purchases. Also got the impression there were FW updates to enhance the S2 to use the optional software.

What Skydio is doing via software is absolutely mind boggling...

What additional hardware would allow them to fly in low light/darkness and still keep their unique OA capability?

What additional hardware would allow them to fly in low light/darkness and still keep their unique OA capability?
Both of those are excellent!
I'd like to see it compete with the EVO2 Dual - 640 IR resolution. Add the low light to it's AI & object avoidance coupled with high resolution thermal and you've got a great SAR or close in Inspection platform. That also brings it very close to the X2 feature set.

Per the article I read, the X2 has additional sensors and additional GPS enhancements. I got the impression it basically switched from daylight optical to different sensors & GPS in darkness.

Haven't seen that article but based on comments Rick (Drone Valley) made in his recent online interview with OriginaldoBo the S2's unique OA system relies on a trinocular (not the normal binocular) system to pick up actual surface details of objects its trying to avoid.

If that's correct Skydio must have some tricks up it's sleeve to still retain its state of art OA system while flying in dimmer and dimmer environments.

If that's correct Skydio must have some tricks up it's sleeve to still retain its state of art OA system while flying in dimmer and dimmer environments.
Is it confirmed that OA will still work in dimmer situations?

Cause I'm under the impression that X2 will fly in dim situations using GPS and inertial navigation only.

Cheers.

Last edited:
If you follow Rick's assumptions, sensor technology would have to get better and faster to handle lower and lower light levels.

If it can't keep pace, Skydio's "current" OA system would probably be less and less reliable the darker it got.

Some out there might be able to comment about how IR systems (Skydio's possible next step) might compare when it comes to processing detail in darker and darker situations.

If you follow Rick's assumptions, sensor technology would have to get better and faster to handle lower and lower light levels.

If it can't keep pace, Skydio's "current" OA system would probably be less and less reliable the darker it got.

Some out there might be able to comment about how IR systems (Skydio's possible next step) might compare when it comes to processing detail in darker and darker situations.
My understanding, it does not use it's OA optical during low light/ darkness, it switches to a differnt OA array of sensors and GPS. What that exactly was, it wasn't detailed enough in the interview/article.

My understanding, it does not use it's OA optical during low light/ darkness, it switches to a differnt OA array of sensors and GPS. What that exactly was, it wasn't detailed enough in the interview/article.
Was this a Skydio interview/article?

Can you please post the link if you still have it

Last edited:
The software enterprise modules apparently will be available to the S2. The email Kelly (Skydio) sent to me indicated when a available in near future, several of my comments to perform (3D modeling, mapping, etc) will be met by using the new software modules offered as optional purchases.

Did they discuss the price and whether they would be one-time purchases or subscription model?

Really, really dislike subscription based software features.

Reactions: Smalls
Was this a Skydio interview/article?

Can you please post the link if you still have it
I read the various daily / weekly publications: DroneLife, DroneDJ, sUAS News, Owler, Commercial UAV News, etc. They have multiple links off to various articles, interviews, factory announcement, FAA relate, etc.

Most of these are daily, so I tend to delete due to volume.
I was able to dig through the trash, hunted up two, Commercial UAV, and DroneLife each had one of the articles I was referring... but didn’t locate the more technical Skydio interview on night flight.

Although on Skydio‘s site under X2 material. They mention OA is disabled at night... pasted in from Skydio page.
GPS Night Flight
Precision GPS and inertial navigation for precise flight with obstacle avoidance disabled.

Reactions: skydioconvert
Did they discuss the price and whether they would be one-time purchases or subscription model?

Really, really dislike subscription based software features.
I join your distaste, and I avoid if possible. One reason I don’t use DroneDeploy. I’ll purchase Metashape at a high cost before using multiple monthly services. Although I do like RealityCapture’s PPI credit system vs high cost license.

I digress... back to X2.
My understanding is all the optional modules offered to S2 will be monthly or ’per use fee structure. A monthly fee / subscription may discourage or push some (including me) to other platforms for various missions were OA is essentially not even utilized.

It’s still developing, the EVO2 Dual with 640 IR & high zoom RGB is promising. Hopefully 3rd party will use the available SDK and develope more tools for modeling, survey, Ag, etc.

A monthly fee / subscription may discourage or push some (including me) to other platforms

No question. If Skydio themselves adopt a subscription business model, it would push us away from Skydio's products entirely.

I read the various daily / weekly publications: DroneLife, DroneDJ, sUAS News, Owler, Commercial UAV News, etc. They have multiple links off to various articles, interviews, factory announcement, FAA relate, etc.

Most of these are daily, so I tend to delete due to volume.
I was able to dig through the trash, hunted up two, Commercial UAV, and DroneLife each had one of the articles I was referring... but didn’t locate the more technical Skydio interview on night flight.

Although on Skydio‘s site under X2 material. They mention OA is disabled at night... pasted in from Skydio page.
GPS Night Flight
Precision GPS and inertial navigation for precise flight with obstacle avoidance disabled.
Thank you very much for the links you were able to find... didn't realize there was more than one.<GRIN>

Going to "NOW" be torn between the S2 I'm soon to receive or just waiting for a model with night time flight capability,

Thank you very much for the links you were able to find... didn't realize there was more than one.<GRIN>

Going to "NOW" be torn between the S2 I'm soon to receive or just waiting for a model with night time flight capability,
Ahhhh... but isn’t the Skydio model with night flight only targeted to the Enterprise focused X2... we small shops or consumers can’t acquire.

Unless you feel the S3 will gain these features.:unsure:
If S3, then purchase the S2 and enjoy... the S3, 4 and 5 will all follow but not worth waiting on if not near their release.

Such as Mavic Air 2, I’ll wait for the M3P... it’s in final stages, they likely pulled it back to increase features or components to compete with recently released crafts.

On the new model lineup... if Skydio has received large contributions to develop Govt / Military sUAV. Their interest may change and the consumer market may become a minor interest. The growth of the S-series may slow in the not to distant future. Their ( Skydio) consumer market share is minimal and Govt has much less competition and greater focus to specific paths... most small companies if could choose would likely pick Govt.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup