Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio killer?

@Ridefreak
I'm glad Skydio actually appreciates feedback with constructive criticism unlike fanboys, the same type that would do extremely well on Apple "help" forum ?

you lost me on that one???

@Ridefreak
I'm glad Skydio actually appreciates feedback with constructive criticism unlike fanboys, the same type that would do extremely well on Apple "help" forum ?
Guess the word "constructive" REALLY and truly is in the mind of the beholder.

Guess the word "constructive" REALLY and truly is in the mind of the beholder.
You would be surprised the amount communication I get back and forth with Skydio :)
It took 2 tries to get the Adobe fix in the FW, and to enable nonfunctional buttons on the remote took some time as well. Pretty sure you will try them to work on areas that need improvement when you get yours.

You would be surprised the amount communication I get back and forth with Skydio :)
It took 2 tries to get the Adobe fix in the FW, and to enable nonfunctional buttons on the remote took some time as well. Pretty sure you will try them to work on areas that need improvement when you get yours.
Have already worked with them for the last few months.

Had questions about how some recorded video sequences appeared to have jerkiness in portions of clips that didn't weren't OA related.

One of their Customer Reps name John was extremely helpful and went out of his way to answer my questions.

No passing the buck like I've had with DJI...just straight forward one on one customer support.

Have already worked with them for the last few months.

Had questions about how some recorded video sequences appeared to have jerkiness in portions of clips that didn't weren't OA related.

One of their Customer Reps name John was extremely helpful and went out of his way to answer my questions.

No passing the buck like I've had with DJI...just straight forward one on one customer support.

New software has corrected a lot of the jerkiness and whipping around. This video is two versions ago, the newer version is better I'll post one up when I get it processed.

New software has corrected a lot of the jerkiness and whipping around. This video is two versions ago, the newer version is better I'll post one up when I get it processed.

Looking forward to seeing that!

I did some filming yesterday and I seen slight improvement as well.
On the other hand I feel like the S2 has now more difficulties to hold on to the subject.
I used the beacon and every single time when I took Dronie the bird lost visual almost immediately and switched to GPS. That wouldn't be that bad but it was never able again to find me to be back in the shot until I moved it manually closer and pointed the bird the right way. Another frustrating part was that every Dronie was more like Rocket (yup, that complain is here for long time now), I hope they will add option to set angle.
Another strange behavior, when it was returning from the Dronie shot back the yaw motion was very jerky, not slow but in 3 or 4 motions with hard stop in between, yaw stop yaw stop ...
All this was tested on beautiful cloud less day and in several directions, to make sure sun glare is not the problem.
Oh yeah, and beacon disconnecting on Dronie shot very common when there is no line of sight between the beacon and the S2 :(

Any tips VEGASROBBI would be appreciated. I know you do mostly cars and I film people but perhaps you can give me some hints.
Thanks

Last edited:
On the other hand I feel like the S2 has now more difficulties to hold on to the subject.
I used the beacon and every single time when I took Dronie the bird lost visual almost immediately and switched to GPS. That wouldn't be that bad but it was never able again to find me to be back in the shot until I moved it manually closer and pointed the bird the right way. Another frustrating part was that every Dronie was more like Rocket (yup, that complain is here for long time now), I hope they will add option to set angle.
Another strange behavior, when it was returning from the Dronie shot back the yaw motion was very jerky, not slow but in 3 or 4 motions with hard stop in between, yaw stop yaw stop ...
All this was tested on beautiful cloud less day and in several directions, to make sure sun glare is not the problem.
Oh yeah, and beacon disconnecting on Dronie shot very common when there is no line of sight between the beacon and the S2 :(

Any tips VEGASROBBI would be appreciated. I know you do mostly cars and I film people but perhaps you can give me some hints.
Thanks
From a guy that doesn't have his S2 yet... a lot of what your describing may be related to how well the S2 is seeing.

How religiously do you clean all the camera lenses?

From a guy that doesn't have his S2 yet... a lot of what your describing may be related to how well the S2 is seeing.

Couldn't be cleaner, I will post some chops of footage later

Started new thread about these and link to footage is there. Dronie issues with examples

Last edited:

So you complain about DJI customer service and then engage in "blame the pilot" ? It's a well documented behavior. Mine did it as well.

Reactions: Lifeisfun

Thanks

Have you tried the same moves with the controller and a tablet?

skydioconvert said:

So you complain about DJI customer service and then engage in "blame the pilot" ? It's a well documented behavior. Mine did it as well.
Some real fuzzy logic there... wasn't blaming the pilot ... was merely suggesting he may have not checked if the camera lenses were dirty...how that's related in any to my opinion of DJI service is a even more illogical.

Opening shot is Anafi, everything else is SD2. I think you will agree the flight path is much smoother with less dartiness. This is the second to last update.

Thanks
I've noticed since the previous update (not the last one but the one prior) that the SD looses subject lock much more frequently when it tracking someone and there's another potential subject in the frame. (using the beacon). I saw this multiple times yesterday and confirmed it with subsequent tests with only one possible subject and it tracked very well well over long distances. I've always had some issues when there's multiple possible subjects in the frame but it seems worse after the SW update. At least it's pretty easy to get locked back on with only the beacon.

Reactions: skydioconvert
I've noticed since the previous update (not the last one but the one prior) that the SD looses subject lock much more frequently when it tracking someone and there's another potential subject in the frame. (using the beacon). I saw this multiple times yesterday and confirmed it with subsequent tests with only one possible subject and it tracked very well well over long distances. I've always had some issues when there's multiple possible subjects in the frame but it seems worse after the SW update. At least it's pretty easy to get locked back on with only the beacon.
Think that's also "especially" true when doing dronies and rocket flights.

Interesting, I'll try on single subject to see if it works better.
Thanks

Opening shot is Anafi, everything else is SD2. I think you will agree the flight path is much smoother with less dartiness. This is the second to last update.
That looks very smooth indeed, wonder if the no tree situation also helps since there is pretty much obstacle environment around the trail. That was beacon only control?

That looks very smooth indeed, wonder if the no tree situation also helps since there is pretty much obstacle environment around the trail. That was beacon only control?

I use the controller and tablet. I had issues with the Beacon early on and have not gone back to it... yet. As you have experienced there are some software bugs with smart shots; for example, in Orbit the SD2 will clock around smoothly for about 250 degrees then pause and not complete the Orbit. There is some weirdness with Dronie and other smart shots where the SD2 will fly an odd path or lose the subject even when it's close. I will say it's getting better and the standard fixed track is beyond than anything I have used.

The SD2 is now smoother amongst the trees(cactus), I'll post another video soon where my SD2 had to dodge taller trees (cacti). Also my tablet has not locked up due to app size.

So all in all they are making progress and considering the future potential the foundation is there. I think the on board processing available to the S2 puts it on a different level than anything out there, they just need to harness that potential.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rayrrr