Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio killer?

Here's an example of the MA2 tracking, it's better than other Mavics, but probably not in the same class as Skydio.
No doubt that the tracking is definitely not better then the S2, but the overall package what you get in AIR 2 is better value.

Here's an example of the MA2 tracking, it's better than other Mavics, but probably not in the same class as Skydio.

Thanks RemE, following a slow moving person from behind is cool but not representative of high performance Follow. I'll be honest I think the Air 2 will fit a lot of bills but my gut says AT 3.0 will be another failure.

I will keep an open mind though and await more videos.

How's your S2 doing, flown it yet?

Last edited:
Nothing I've seen in any of the several videos posted so far show the degree of OA that the S2 has.

The few "very" short portions of the both of the videos shows not even what I call a remotely comparable OA capability.

Throw in the hassle of dealing with geofencing, firmware upgrade problems and service problems that DJI is famous for and it becomes abundantly clear why the US military is abandoning DJI products.

Nothing I've seen in any of the several videos posted so far show the degree of OA that the S2 has.

The few "very" short portions of the both of the videos shows not even what I call a remotely comparable OA capability.

Throw in the hassle of dealing with geofencing, firmware upgrade problems and service problems that DJI is famous for and it becomes abundantly clear why the US military is abandoning DJI products.
Now that REALLY sounds fanboyish. Not even "remotely comparable" oa capability? Trying to be as charitable towards you as possible, maybe you are referring to the most basic aspect of oa, which is simply "not running into things." Yes, the Skydio very rarely actually runs into things other than the thin wires and branches that no drones avoid well, and in that respect it is indeed much better than any other drone. That's why I'd say this relieving people from fear of hitting things is its greatest strength, which allows for shots that are almost impossible to achieve by other drones. But oa involves more than just not hitting things. How smoothly does the drone avoid objects? What route does it take? How well does it keep the subject centered in the frame? How often does it just stop, unable to find a way through the obstacles? It is with regard to these kinds of things that the Skydio quite often performs worse than drones such as the m2 pro. Ive seen many, many Skydio tracking videos where the drone is very restless and jerky and the subject is bouncing all over the frame, and many, many videos in forested areas where the drone makes poor decisions as to how to avoid objects and ends up hung up in the canopy. Meanwhile I've seen many other videos in similar situations where a drone such as the m2p tracks and avoids objects much more smoothly while keeping the subject nicely centered, while also making better decisions on the path to take. And so far the Air 2 seems even better than the m2p with this kind of thing. So overall, I don't think its reasonable to say the Skydio's oa is vastly superior. Vastly superior at not hitting things going at high speed sideways or backwards, sure. But not vastly superior overall. So, given the Air 2's much better price, battery life, range, manual flying, etc., the Skydio's oa doesn't trump everything unless your main use is for high speed tracking.

Reactions: Lifeisfun
Now that REALLY sounds fanboyish. Not even "remotely comparable" oa capability? Trying to be as charitable towards you as possible, maybe you are referring to the most basic aspect of oa, which is simply "not running into things." Yes, the Skydio very rarely actually runs into things other than the thin wires and branches that no drones avoid well, and in that respect it is indeed much better than any other drone. That's why I'd say this relieving people from fear of hitting things is its greatest strength, which allows for shots that are almost impossible to achieve by other drones. But oa involves more than just not hitting things. How smoothly does the drone avoid objects? What route does it take? How well does it keep the subject centered in the frame? How often does it just stop, unable to find a way through the obstacles? It is with regard to these kinds of things that the Skydio quite often performs worse than drones such as the m2 pro. Ive seen many, many Skydio tracking videos where the drone is very restless and jerky and the subject is bouncing all over the frame, and many, many videos in forested areas where the drone makes poor decisions as to how to avoid objects and ends up hung up in the canopy. Meanwhile I've seen many other videos in similar situations where a drone such as the m2p tracks and avoids objects much more smoothly while keeping the subject nicely centered, while also making better decisions on the path to take. And so far the Air 2 seems even better than the m2p with this kind of thing. So overall, I don't think its reasonable to say the Skydio's oa is vastly superior. Vastly superior at not hitting things going at high speed sideways or backwards, sure. But not vastly superior overall. So, given the Air 2's much better price, battery life, range, manual flying, etc., the Skydio's oa doesn't trump everything unless your main use is for high speed tracking.

Yeah, I don't understand why the S2 when stuck in location can't even backtrack the same way it got in, sounds pretty basic to me. Just this it self would solve plenty of issues. just watch the footage on the 13 min mark and then again 13:50 to see what I mean. I would suggest to watch the whole footage, since it shows the pros and cons for both (tracking only)

Last edited:
To: The Irresistible Force
Guess we just march to a different drummer and have very different opinions.... BUT Skydio 2 OA actually is vastly superior to anything on the market today and its going to get even more superior as time goes on... <GRIN>

Signed,
An unwavering fan of American know how and technology

There really is no comparision, Skydio works, DJI is dangerous.

I fail to see any similarity between attacking the subject and dropping into the water. BTW DJI drones do that too.

Reactions: Crracer712
I ordered the Mavic Air 2 Fly More for fun. I don't think it's serious competition as a follow me drone for the Skydio 2. However, as has been discussed, it murders the S2 in every other metric. If the APAS has been improved and with the other features, I'm sure that anyone that's interested in doing almost any flying beyond having a drone follow them around will appreciate it.

I downloaded some footage from Tom and it looks really, really good. I'm interested in the new Active Track, APAS, and OA mostly because it's give some clues as to what to expect from the Mavic 3 Pro.

Skydio has it's niche but for general flying and day to day stuff...

Reactions: Lifeisfun
None of the testing in those videos comes close to the tracking and OA I rely on almost every time I use the SD2. Not saying it can do it but those reviews aren't showing it.

To: The Irresistible Force
Guess we just march to a different drummer and have very different opinions.... BUT Skydio 2 OA actually is vastly superior to anything on the market today and its going to get even more superior as time goes on... <GRIN>

Signed,
An unwavering fan of American know how and technology
Why would you ignore the overall package everyone else is discussing here puzzles me :(
This does NOT help Skydio in any way to be the best.

None of the testing in those videos comes close to the tracking and OA I rely on almost every time I use the SD2. Not saying it can do it but those reviews aren't showing it.
As posted above this shows tracking side by side very well

I'll say that's more to do with lighting, approach angle then anything else
When you see the youtube video here (cameras and obstacle avoidance discussion starts at 17:40) showing the 3D model Skydio 2 builds in realtime to fly around obstacles you begin to have insight into the limitations of visual obstruction avoidance and the need to keep those 7 camera lens clean.

When you see the youtube video here (cameras and obstacle avoidance discussion starts at 17:40) showing the 3D model Skydio 2 builds in realtime to fly around obstacles you begin to have insight into the limitations of visual obstruction avoidance and the need to keep those 7 camera lens clean.
I do understand how it works, my point was that I got spots where I get the S2 stuck every time and it doesn't learn a thing not to go that way and you have no control over it.
There is plenty of space around it but it always will choose the wrong approach. Same was noticed by the reviewer in the video above. So I doubt there is any learning "on the job" involved as claimed by skydioconvert.

Once again my posts are to improve the S2 not to bash it. To say there is nothing better, and that the S2 is flawless would be disservice to the company, and same dishonesty like all drone manufacturers claims about range ??

Last edited:
Puzzles me also ... haven't seen a review yet that comes remotely close to fairly comparing the SD2's tracking and OA capabilities.

Why would you ignore the overall package everyone else is discussing here puzzles me :(
This does NOT help Skydio in any way to be the best.
Discussions are good but touting comparable tracking and OA capabilities when they don't exist is really misleading.

What you consider important is not what everyone else might consider important...

Discussions are good but touting comparable tracking and OA capabilities when they don't exist is really misleading.

What you consider important is not what everyone else might consider important...

Do you already have your S2?

As posted above this shows tracking side by side very well
Looks like DJI is trying to catch up with the S2 in terms of tracking and OA but like the reviewer says the S2 is still superior.

The need to always use the controller and lack of top sensor are shortcomings I'm surprised DJI couldn't get around.

P.S. From my perspective the S2 also has a cleaner screen presence and ability to maintain closeness to the target.

Do you already have your S2?.
Sad to say no.... I'm in the 3rd production lot originally scheduled for an April thru June shipment.

Keep checking my emails to make sure I don't miss when Skydio ramps up production again

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup