Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Sound Question

CrashMan

Reaction score
So those of you that use sound/voice with your drone videos what have you found to be the best method? I see if you use the phone app to create videos but not sure if that sound is recorded from the phone or the drone? Do you use a secondary device for recording audio?
I solely use Sony Vegas for building my videos and I suspect I can take the video created from the app for the audio and still use the raw footage in Sony Vegas but I have yet to confirm that.

Figured I would see what other folks have done with this type of stuff..

Thanks..

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
So those of you that use sound/voice with your drone videos what have you found to be the best method? I see if you use the phone app to create videos but not sure if that sound is recorded from the phone or the drone? Do you use a secondary device for recording audio?
I solely use Sony Vegas for building my videos and I suspect I can take the video created from the app for the audio and still use the raw footage in Sony Vegas but I have yet to confirm that.

Figured I would see what other folks have done with this type of stuff..

Thanks..

You are an expert on this, I have only a few ideas:

1. See some Youtuber's video footage, most of them will have a separate microphone for audio recording.

2. I have used the Skydio 2 App, which will directly record and automatically combine with the video. In my experience, I am very satisfied with this feature, because it is very convenient.

However, if you want to be professional, I think this is inappropriate, mainly because the mobile phone position is not fixed. This kind of practice seems not to be professional just by feeling. do you feel the same?

Playing with Skydio 2 App's recording first might be the option, it's simple and fun to use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The great majority of Skydio owners fly Skydio 2 to shoot our sports. For example, I am riding a bicycle. We usually don't pay much attention to the audio recording. This is also because of practical difficulties.

From my own experience, I would feel that this would be a big consideration.

Last edited:
You are an expert on this, I have only a few ideas:

1. See some Youtuber's video footage, most of them will have a separate microphone for audio recording.

2. I have used the Skydio 2 App, which will directly record and automatically combine with the video. In my experience, I am very satisfied with this feature, because it is very convenient.

However, if you want to be professional, I think this is inappropriate, mainly because the mobile phone position is not fixed. This kind of practice seems not to be professional just by feeling. do you feel the same?

Playing with Skydio 2 App's recording first might be the option, it's simple and fun to use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The great majority of Skydio owners fly Skydio 2 to shoot our sports. For example, I am riding a bicycle. We usually don't pay much attention to the audio recording. This is also because of practical difficulties.

From my own experience, I would feel that this would be a big consideration.
Can you explain how you typically do #2. Will it take audio from phone and combine with footage from the drone automatically? If so how?

Can you explain how you typically do #2. Will it take audio from phone and combine with footage from the drone automatically? If so how?
There is an audio file recorded along side the video file. It is the same length so when using a video editor, I can also drop the audio file into the timeline and it will be synched. It is of limited use because typically only small parts of the video get used.

To make it work well.... shots should be planned and you have to have some idea of what you are going to say about the video being shot. Otherwise it is good for capturing some live commentary on the scene in front of you.

Let me think about it...

I can't remember doing something special at the time, but the clip had the soundtrack. I thought it was done automatically.

Here I find a tutorial and it might be helpful, though, I have not watched it yet.

There is an audio file recorded along side the video file. It is the same length so when using a video editor, I can also drop the audio file into the timeline and it will be synched. It is of limited use because typically only small parts of the video get used.

To make it work well.... shots should be planned and you have to have some idea of what you are going to say about the video being shot. Otherwise it is good for capturing some live commentary on the scene in front of you.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

So is the audio recorded by the phone or the drone? I know the drone has 2 files per recording .MP4 and .LRV and from what I gather you can only use the editor(phone app) to create a video with the sound like the video Sky Cyclist posted(Which I watched prior to my original post). But it still left me with questions..

So is the audio recorded by the phone or the drone? I know the drone has 2 files per recording .MP4 and .LRV and from what I gather you can only use the editor(phone app) to create a video with the sound like the video Sky Cyclist posted(Which I watched prior to my original post). But it still left me with questions..
Its recorded by the phone..... as I indicated, I don't let the app combine them, instead I put both the MP4 and audio files in the video editor timeline so they synch, then begin the editing process. The audio files are M4A and may need to be converted to another format before they can be used.

Its recorded by the phone..... as I indicated, I don't let the app combine them, instead I put both the MP4 and audio files in the video editor timeline so they synch, then begin the editing process. The audio files are M4A and may need to be converted to another format before they can be used.
Ok that makes much more sense--thank you. Vegas doesn't recognize the .LRV format so I will do some digging and see what I can come up with. I won't be using this "option" much but I feel at times it will be handy vs. doing voice over stuff..

Audio recorded by the drone will be only noise.

Very loud noise only.

I am not familiar with the audio area but just bet there is not consumer drone recording audio in the flight.

I also use Vegas and combo the audio in post.

When I'm riding moto or snowboarding I have my phone usually in front pocket or bar bag on my moto/snowmobile to pick up the audio. You should see a .m4a file with the same file name in the directory on your SD card with the .mp4 files.

What I usually do is copy the timestamp from the trimmer on the clip, drag audio clip to trimmer, paste the timestamp to grab the audio. Sometimes Vegas actually puts the selection at the right spot without copy/pasting the timestamp but I'm not sure the rhyme reason behind it. Let me know if you need more help and I could create a quick video on how I combine audio in post with Vegas and Skydio.

I believe the LRV file is Low Resolution Video. To be sure just rename the file to something like test.mp4 and play it.

The phone app enables you to download video clips via wifi with the integrated audio. If the M4A files are alongside the MP4 files on the drone's sdcard, this implies that the phone app copies the M4A files to the drone sometime after the recordings have ended since the audio was recorded by the phone. Is this correct?

The phone app enables you to download video clips via wifi with the integrated audio. If the M4A files are alongside the MP4 files on the drone's sdcard, this implies that the phone app copies the M4A files to the drone sometime after the recordings have ended since the audio was recorded by the phone. Is this correct?
The M4A files are found on the MicroSD card..... after landing there seems to be a period where the Skydio syncs with the phone if you keep everything powered on.

I use the App on my iPhone and it works fine for me! The only Complaint I have about the Drone is that it won’t fly at Night and I’m not about to get the Software for $3,000 so it can Fly!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spad