Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Tracking problem after update 21.0.53 and 21.0.61

tas

Reaction score
Hello!
Why my Skydio2 can't tracking beacon after update .53 and .61 :(
Beacon show "Pause, tap subject on the app" but i don't use app. No app connected with skydio. All tracking mode have "pause status".
A factory reset of the skydio and the Beacon did not help.
If i use phone, run app, connect with skydio2, tap to me, when works but skydio can't detect me after start :(

Attachments

• PXL_20220924_120303294.jpg
    PXL_20220924_120303294.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 9
Sometimes when it's following me it'll loose tracking, I've always used the beacon's blue button to get it to re-acquire, I hope they didn't change that. I just got around to updating the drone, I hope to try it out Monday.

My Skydio after update lose auto targeting on beacon owner (after start from beacon), for now i need phone for manual select target so be careful with the update

Reactions: Ridefreak
Hello!
Why my Skydio2 can't tracking beacon after update .53 and .61 :(
Beacon show "Pause, tap subject on the app" but i don't use app. No app connected with skydio. All tracking mode have "pause status".
A factory reset of the skydio and the Beacon did not help.
If i use phone, run app, connect with skydio2, tap to me, when works but skydio can't detect me after start :(
Im having the exact same problem. Did you find a fix?

I couldn't fix it, it looks like a bug in firmware (?) if only you and me have this problem

I updated earlier this week and must say I'm getting more disconnects, GPS tracking and erratic follow.

Too bad, I thought the previous firmware was stable, maybe not as stable as the original firmware though. Seems like we are going backwards.

Version 21.0.61 was a bug fix back in September, and another rolled out on October 6th which brings us up to V. 21.0.64.

I hope this helps.

I did the most recent two updates and finally had a chance to fly, noticed some interesting differences after the update. First time I restarted the drone after it got the update it got a "Calibrating" wait bar on the app which tells me they reset any of it's learned data and it acted like it. Initial testing in the yard, no flying I was getting inconsistent connections (dared not fly it). I repeated the process of powering up the drone and making the connections and having it ready to takeoff 2 or three time without launching. Next I took along on a ride, started out in a very open desert area. It launched, locked on to me (like normal) then within 20 seconds started flying around for 20 or 30 seconds while I was standing there not doing anything. It stopped pointing somewhere else 100 yards away and really didn't want to do anything for about 2 min, I got it all on video. I was able, using the blue button on the beacon to eventually wake it up to its senses. We then rode off easy pace with the drone tracking, close in and far out (visual and gps) making it a little harder as the flight went on. I went on to fly it 2 more batteries in harder and harder situations, some of it was very difficult, low sun angles tracking along a slope just above the brush and trees.

To me, we are basically starting with a new drone as far as any learned data. Not sure what it learns but this is the same way it's acted when it was new (2x) and after at least one of the other updates. The "Calibration" after the update before any flying is telling to me. I had some if not all the complaints posted recently. Again, flying the done in an open area starting off very easy for a few batteries seems to do wonders. I went from multiple disconnects, failed tracking, poor initialization to it working very well 3 batteries later.

Here's some pics, this is the Black Range in the Gila Mtns NM.

SD2-X2.jpg

SD3-X2.jpg

SD1-X2.jpg

SD7-X2.jpg

SD6-X2.jpg

Finished up the last battery with some tracking through the forest.
SD5-X2.jpg

One thing I'll add, I took it easy, I mostly wanted it to fly, see everything and miss it, I wasn't pushing it speedwise this trip.

Last edited:
Nice place to ride and thanks for the observations from such a remote area.

Could the Beacon and Drone be subject to momentary interference from solar flares, high powered radio signals
from military installations, or non cellular signals, etc, etc. ?

By the way, how many gallons of water you need to haul out there ??

Nice place to ride and thanks for the observations from such a remote area.

Could the Beacon and Drone be subject to momentary interference from solar flares, high powered radio signals
from military installations, or non cellular signals, etc, etc. ?

By the way, how many gallons of water you need to haul out there ??
Ironic you mention that, where that was shot is about 30 miles as the crow flies to where they blew off the first atomic bomb right in the middle of the white sands missile range.

I got the same disconnects when they replaced my drone and when there was a big update some months back that almost everyone had issues with. Both those resolved with flying and tracking which also suffered. Think about it, 2 updates almost back to back, something wasn't quite right with the first of the two.

Sitting there outside connecting and reconnecting to the drone was great practice, now instead of the beacon connecting immediately I get a "Searching for SDXXX". This goes on noticeably longer than it used to but when the beacon connects to the drone I can immediately connect to the beacon with the app and the gps sync goes away almost immediately. I knew what to expect when I connected out somewhere expecting to fly. The whole process doesn't really take any longer but there's some definite differences. It still wasn't right at first with tracking but I think it's noticeably better by the third battery.

Reactions: VEGASROBBI
I noticed a similar learning curve after the update, the third flight of the day was almost flawless.

Unfortunately on the next outing the first flight was plagued with disconnects again.

Reactions: Ridefreak
I think it's the correct assumption though even if it regressed on your next outing. I almost didn't bring it on this ride because I didn't want to deal with this new update and possible learning curve but it turned out to be a Low drama day as far as the SD2 was concerned. I don't think it's to the point where it was before the update as far as being dialed in, I think it'll need 6 or 7 flights before I'm as comfortable with it as I was before the update.

I wonder if we're barking up the wrong tree? Today I decided to fly my S2 without the beacon but with my iPad only. After three full batteries I had zero problems, no GPS tracking, no beacon disconnects, not a glitch.

This may be an anomaly as I have had nothing but problems since the update but I'm wondering if a lot of the problem involves the beacon? My beacon did update with the last firmware.

JMO, more flights=better flying, from what I can see, it really helps if they are successful flights. I've seen it recalibrate after flying before I've turned it off a couple times after landing (noticed it 2x in 2 years). Just speculating but I wonder if it's shut it off when it needs to perform that process if that negatively affects it next flight. I might try leaving it powered up for a few extra min after landing.

It's interesting that you're able to force it into visual tracking and keep it there. I could think of places where that's preferable.

I am almost afraid to fly after the update and haven't due to weather... Wish I had some open areas to learn it. I had thought of doing some walking with it but I don't know if it learns enough when I am out in thew woods in my rig..hmmmm...

In my experience you should be afraid. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup