Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Trouble connecting Skydio2, controller, and app

Jafemu

Reaction score
I have had my Skydio2, controller, and beacon for about 8 days. My first flight was with the controller about a week ago and everything worked flawlessly. Now I cannot get the drone, controller, and app ( IOS ) to link up and work together. The app alone, and the app and beacon work together as it should be. But now I will link the controller to the drone ( solid blue light on the controller), then I attempt to plug in the phone to the controller and it says “ ready to fly “ for about 5 seconds then begins a search again for the drone.........which fails and finally reads “Connecting ERROR: UNREACHABLE. Can you offer me any help?

I have had my Skydio2, controller, and beacon for about 8 days. My first flight was with the controller about a week ago and everything worked flawlessly. Now I cannot get the drone, controller, and app ( IOS ) to link up and work together. The app alone, and the app and beacon work together as it should be. But now I will link the controller to the drone ( solid blue light on the controller), then I attempt to plug in the phone to the controller and it says “ ready to fly “ for about 5 seconds then begins a search again for the drone.........which fails and finally reads “Connecting ERROR: UNREACHABLE. Can you offer me any help?
I had same problem with my iPhone XR. I deleted app altogether and re downloaded and it started working.

Also go into wifi setup and delete all references to the Skydio. Sometimes when a new version of the app comes out it causes a problem.

Leenanj, thanks for your reply. Seems to be a headscratcher on this forum! I’ll try your solution. Thanks!

I had a similar problem - the Skydio2 works great with the Beacon, but when I try and use the Beacon AND my phone, I get a "disconnected" message on the Beacon, even when trying to connect to the Beacon's wifi (rather than the Skydio's wifi) on my phone. I will try removing the Skydio software on my phone and re-installing.

I had a similar problem - the Skydio2 works great with the Beacon, but when I try and use the Beacon AND my phone, I get a "disconnected" message on the Beacon, even when trying to connect to the Beacon's wifi (rather than the Skydio's wifi) on my phone. I will try removing the Skydio software on my phone and re-installing.

I received a response from Skydio, which follows below. My problem has been with the controller and phone, not the beacon and phone, but here it is........ you might start with the WiFi turned OFF, and then let the beacon direct you to turn it on to connect. Weird I know.

From Andrew at Skydio. “ Can you try taking the Controller by itself and press and hold all 4 buttons on the controller for about 10-15 seconds. This should reset the pairing Information, once you have done that just use the C to C cable to reconnect the controller to the Skydio 2 and let me know if that solves the issue. Also, make sure that when you are connecting to the controller to turn off the wifi on the phone. Also, make sure that your Skydio 2 App is up to date. Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions. “ Maybe that same sequence of the phone WiFi off first will work with your beacon.

I have found what Andrew says to work pretty good. Every time i have got a disconnected or searching message it was due to my Phone trying to connect directly to the SD2 Wifi. Using the procedure above it seems this limits the possibility to connect directly to the SD2 and forces the connection to the the controller or Beacon. I dont use just my phone ever so i actually dropped the wifi network of the SD2 from my phone (Android FWIW).

Reactions: skydioconvert
It sounds like your phone is connecting to the SD2s WiFi without prompting or any action by you. As a test I would turn off the connect automatically for that WiFi network.

Reactions: deltatango
I had a similar issue. I resolved it by disconnecting the lightning cable, killed the app from multi-tasking. Disabled iPhone WiF. Do not re-open the app. Plug the lightning cable back in to phone. I then received the do you want to connect prompt and was good to go.

Reactions: deltatango
I had similar issues with iPhone. Make sure that you turn off "Auto Join" in Wi-Fi Settings for Skydio 2. That way when you are using Beacon, iOS won't keep trying to force a connection to Skydio. Click on the "i" surrounded by a circle next to the Skydio wi-fi name and then turn off Auto-Join.

I believe my similar problem is resolved! Too windy right now to test it out. I have an android Samsung A21, I could fly the SD2 no problem with the App, I could connect to the Beacon and fly with no problem, it would not connect to my Controller after the Controller was connected to the SD2. I went over to my Son's who has a iOS phone and it connected to the Controller fine, that prompted me to try an older android phone I have, a Motorola, moto g (6), and it connects fine. So now I have a dedicated Controller phone in my case. My problem was apparently just a Samsung A21 compatibility issue.

Last edited:
I believe my similar problem is resolved! Too windy right now to test it out. I have an android Samsung A21, I could fly the SD2 no problem with the App, I could connect to the Beacon and fly with no problem, it would not connect to my Controller after the Controller was connected to the SD2. I went over to my Son's who has a OS phone and it connected to the Controller fine, that prompted me to try an older android phone I have, a Motorola, MOTO8, and it connect s fine. So now I have a dedicated Controller phone in my case. My problem was apparently just a Samsung A21 compatibility issue.
What model iOS phone does your son have?

Thanks for all info in this thread. I've tried everything. I just sent this note to Skydio and will post what they say - nothing's worked so far:

The key issue is my controller won’t connect to the drone using the Skydio USBC to lightning cable. The blue light flashes and app says it’s searching for drone – but never finds it. I 1st noticed problems when I was concocted to the controller and app would not recognize me or car when in tracking. Also, the paddle in the back of the controller that’s meant for zoom in/out would instead make drone go up/down

Here’s everything I’ve tried so far:

-concerting w phone wifi on and off [by the way I have an iPhone 13 pro]

-I’ve re-set the controller by pushing the 4 buttons on the controller for 10 seconds – got the white light – but when I try to connect just flashing blue light

-I uninstalled the Skydio app and reinstalled it

-I checked to make sure Skydio has latest firmware

-I installed the Skydio app on my iPad and that also would not connect using the Skydio usbc to usbc cable

-I updated my phone to ios16

-last step was to factory reset the drone.

None of this has worked

I can fly with phone and/or beacon.

My newest moto g phone won't work when hooked to controller, otherwise it works with beacon/drone. My previous two older moto g phones work fine with controller attached.

I received a response from Skydio, which follows below. My problem has been with the controller and phone, not the beacon and phone, but here it is........ you might start with the WiFi turned OFF, and then let the beacon direct you to turn it on to connect. Weird I know.

From Andrew at Skydio. “ Can you try taking the Controller by itself and press and hold all 4 buttons on the controller for about 10-15 seconds. This should reset the pairing Information, once you have done that just use the C to C cable to reconnect the controller to the Skydio 2 and let me know if that solves the issue. Also, make sure that when you are connecting to the controller to turn off the wifi on the phone. Also, make sure that your Skydio 2 App is up to date. Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions. “ Maybe that same sequence of the phone WiFi off first will work with your beacon.
Ive got a similar issue, tried all of that but my phone still wont connect to the controller (iphone 13 promax) the controller will pair with skydio all day but my phone acts like it doesnt even acknowledge the lightning cable. Ive bought a new cable to try and still nothing

My newest moto g phone won't work when hooked to controller, otherwise it works with beacon/drone. My previous two older moto g phones work fine with controller attached.
Good to know, I have an earlier Moto G, l was considering upgrading, l'm going to hold off for awhile.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup