Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Using an FPV viewer with the app and controller?

JoeydDetroit

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to use FPV goggles with the skydio2? How can you connect them? I would need to use the controller to have any decent range. Drone FPV Racers do it, why can't we? is there a USB hub for cellphones to connect both the controller and the FPV goggles?

Reactions: skytwo
Has anyone ever tried to use FPV goggles with the skydio2? How can you connect them? I would need to use the controller to have any decent range. Drone FPV Racers do it, why can't we? is there a USB hub for cellphones to connect both the controller and the FPV goggles?
You could do what I did, get an app that casts the phone screen to a chromecast (Lots of them out there, I used Replica), use goggles with an HDMI input (DJI goggles), and cast the phone image to the goggles that way. Slight latency, so racing would be out, but great for scenic flights as well as allowing someone else to witness the video. Of course you would need a USB battery pack to power the chromecast, as well as wifi for both the device and chromecast to connect to. Not the best for remote operations, but great for backyard fun.

Since Skydio has decided to forget about ever supporting Android phones to be connected to their Parrot controller, has any hardware hackers taken matters into their own hands to get the video from that controller to anything else?

Since Skydio has decided to forget about ever supporting Android phones to be connected to their Parrot controller, has any hardware hackers taken matters into their own hands to get the video from that controller to anything else?
All I ever connect to the SDs Parrot controller is an android phone.

Reactions: geko1966
Interesting, you're the only one on a forum full of Skydio users that's indicating this. Not saying you're wrong but most of the users I know use android to connect to the drone, none have indicated they are seeing what you are reporting. How about some details instead of just repeating some suspect reports from unknown sources, Who's this "Huge" number of people?.

There is a widespread problem of people with android not being able to connect the android to the controller. you can control the S2 with your phone directly but only for a very short range. The exact details differ but the common theme is your phone tells you the controller is connected please turn off wifi and plug in the controller. when you do nothing happens except the phone tells you to turn on wifi to connect to the S2 and it's a loop. the android never recognizes the controller plugged in so you never get video from the S2 and so you can't fly it very effectively without that FPV just seeing it from the ground only, how good is that?
IDK how you haven't heard of it? it's been an issue for me for at least a year since I bought a new phone the Samsung K50 and it doesn't recognizes the controller like the old phone did. I thought it was because my new phones used USB-C instead of Micro- USB, but I recently polled people with the problem and it happens on both types.
The general "answer" from skydio is "there are too many androids out there and they all implement USB differently and we just can't keep up with being compatible with all of them".

Can some hardware savvy hacker please just figure out how to get the video from the controller so I can at least use a monitor with the controller.
Skydio is off pushing their new enterprise S2 that has it's own custom made tablet based controller with the screen built in and using some technology other that WiFi to connect, so they are beyond giving a **** about the S2 and it's step child "parrot" controller.

It's apparently not all android phones because most continue to work as they always did. Since this forum has started there's been numerous connectivity issues with users of both types of phones. The vast majority of the time it's user familiarity and not device compatibility but there have been situations where there's a device compatibility problem. It's unfortunate that yours is one of those, as for it being a widespread issue that's false, I've seen it on here twice in 2 years. In your case the drone's video worked before and now it doesn't, only thing that changed is the phone. How is that skydio's fault? You aren't the first person to replace their phone and have the new one not work. Skydio doesn't control the phone manufacturers implementation of the USB standard or if the phone even meets the standard. For others who have had this this has issue the fix was to replace the phone with a compatible device. This is not unique to this drone and android compatibility issues aren't unique to Skydio.

It would benefit users if Skydio posted a compatibility list with the phones that work correctly.

as for it being a widespread issue that's false, I've seen it on here twice in 2 years.
You haven't looked in the right threads. when I surveyed users asking who had what kind of issues, over 30 people replied.
They have dropped a few updates since then so even my old phone which used to work with the controller no longer does.
If USB is a standard then why should there be incompatible implementations of it? it should be "Standard" in how it connects and interacts with the devices OS. Any device that is not 100% compatible with USB standards should be pulled from the market and fixed.
That's like having a car where he brake is on the left and the gas is on the right as a standard and here comes one with a gas peddle but no braked peddle, it's now a button on the dashboard.... It may work but its not 100% compatible with US car standards and would never be allowed to be sold in the US until they installed proper brake peddles and they have to be on the left.

Last weekend I took my S2 to a park and tried to launch it and see what kind of range I could get w/o the controller. It was very difficult to connect. When it finally did connect, I was able to get it up to 20 feet directly above me when it bitched about not having any GPS, said to fly around to get GPS, disconnected RTHd and then would never launch again. and this was AFTER getting a replacement back from having sent my original one in due to a legit crash that was partially my fault for trying to grab it from in front of a hilo. This "New" one has a crazy internal fan noise that my original one never had.

Imagine taking your car to the dealer for a water pump and instead of fixing the water pump they gave you someone else's car with a good water pump but a whole range of other issues?

I bought this think hoping to get good footage of breaking news stories. Under these conditions that will never happen.

OK now spit Skydios D**** out, stop defending their screw-ups and either help with a solution or bow out.

Last edited:
well, that explains it.

cars have titles so technically you cant get another car as a replacement.

drones are just another tool and it is industry standard to get another drone back instead of a repaired drone. without good insurance, usually it's a refurb but if supplies are limited, you could get either another used drone or if you are lucky a new one. the big problem (as you mentioned) is often you get a used drone that has been [improperly] repaired or marked as ntf (no trouble found) so you inherit new problems.

it's a risk. sounds like you got a bad one.

btw, whenever i am told gps is weak, i press the button that says automatically wiggle the drone (i'm not so cool or "old school" that i feel i have to do these things myself). perfectly fine with letting the drone take care of itself; works every time to re-establish gps.

You haven't looked in the right threads. when I surveyed users asking who had what kind of issues, over 30 people replied.
They have dropped a few updates since then so even my old phone which used to work with the controller no longer does.
If USB is a standard then why should there be incompatible implementations of it? it should be "Standard" in how it connects and interacts with the devices OS. Any device that is not 100% compatible with USB standards should be pulled from the market and fixed.
That's like having a car where he brake is on the left and the gas is on the right as a standard and here comes one with a gas peddle but no braked peddle, it's now a button on the dashboard.... It may work but its not 100% compatible with US car standards and would never be allowed to be sold in the US until they installed proper brake peddles and they have to be on the left.

Last weekend I took my S2 to a park and tried to launch it and see what kind of range I could get w/o the controller. It was very difficult to connect. When it finally did connect, I was able to get it up to 20 feet directly above me when it bitched about not having any GPS, said to fly around to get GPS, disconnected RTHd and then would never launch again. and this was AFTER getting a replacement back from having sent my original one in due to a legit crash that was partially my fault for trying to grab it from in front of a hilo. This "New" one has a crazy internal fan noise that my original one never had.

Imagine taking your car to the dealer for a water pump and instead of fixing the water pump they gave you someone else's car with a good water pump but a whole range of other issues?

I bought this think hoping to get good footage of breaking news stories. Under these conditions that will never happen.

OK now spit Skydios D**** out, stop defending their screw-ups and either help with a solution or bow out.
Seriously dude!!!

Listening to your rants is getting pretty old!!

I just looked at your postings and there is very little positive content there.

If you are sooooo dissatisfied with Skydio then sell it and move on.

Attacking other forum members for no apparent reason other than they don’t share your point of view doesn’t help anyone.

Reactions: Ridefreak

Well all I can say is you are in a minority here with the issue you are having. You can search this forum see how prevalent your issue is. It's sounds like wherever you're going to to find 30 others with the same issue is where you should be investigating this problem. They got far more skin in the game then a the bunch on here who apparently aren't having the same problem. Many of us have had gps issues and connectivity problem when the drone is new, recently updated or reset. If it's a new drone or refurbished drone it's likely that it doesn't have a lot of successful flights in it's memory nor many successful gps connections since it's last full reset. Take it out somewhere where there's very little if any risk of interference and good gps reception, it's been noticed by more than one person on here that the drone does better the more times it's successfully flown and some can be problematic at first. I've seen that also and I do know it self calibrates periodically but it has to have successful flights to get to that point where there's good data to calibrate off of. Best place to do that is a very open place without other cell phones around and get some basic flying in like on a farm. I doubt it'd work worth a crap if you launched it downtown right now expecting it to cover a news situation with all the other outside RF that accompanies a event of that type.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeydDetroit
Well all I can say is you are in a minority here with the issue you are having. You can search this forum see how prevalent your issue is. It's sounds like wherever you're going to to find 30 others with the same issue is where you should be investigating this problem. They got far more skin in the game then a the bunch on here who apparently aren't having the same problem. Many of us have had gps issues and connectivity problem when the drone is new, recently updated or reset. If it's a new drone or refurbished drone it's likely that it doesn't have a lot of successful flights in it's memory nor many successful gps connections since it's last full reset. Take it out somewhere where there's very little if any risk of interference and good gps reception, it's been noticed by more than one person on here that the drone does better the more times it's successfully flown and some can be problematic at first. I've seen that also and I do know it self calibrates periodically but it has to have successful flights to get to that point where there's good data to calibrate off of. Best place to do that is a very open place without other cell phones around and get some basic flying in like on a farm. I doubt it'd work worth a crap if you launched it downtown right now expecting it to cover a news situation with all the other outside RF that accompanies a event of that type.
I will try to give it more flight time now that the weather is decent. It was kind of gusty the other day and the battery was low I only took it up and flew a couple moves with it and landed. Good news: it did actually land on the case for the 1st time in a long time.

Reactions: ETdronehome

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup