Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Video Editing Issue - Premiere Elements 2019

DennisT-RVA

Reaction score
Website
sweetschoolbus.blogspot.com
I shot my first video with my new Skydio2, but was unable to load to my editing software (Adobe Premiere Elements 2019). I've uploaded .MP4 before, even 4k from my Hero8 and DJI Mavic. Is there any insight on a different format to use? If so, since I'm a newbie, how do I choose this format on the Skydio2?

Apologies if this is discussed somewhere else - I couldn't find an existing thread.

THANKS!

Attachments

• Capture-SkydioFootageERROR.PNG
    Capture-SkydioFootageERROR.PNG
    107.3 KB · Views: 7
Thanks, @Ridefreak - it seems the default setting was AVC (H.264).

I'm a little confused, though, because it seems that H.264 is what DOES work with PE2019. That link you'd posted discussed frustration over it NOT being compatible with H.265. Am I reading that correctly?

Either way, I've switched the setting to HEVC (H.265) and will try a sample shot tomorrow to see if it does allow that clip to load to Premiere Elements. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again ?

Just an FYI - I can view the video with no problem in the Windows 10 "Movies & TV" app and Windows Media Player. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201207-184133_Skydio 2.jpg
    Screenshot_20201207-184133_Skydio 2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 4
I'm not sure if that the cause of your issue but I was under the impression that to process HEVC there's an additional codec required if the editing suite your using didn't install it. If it wasn't recorded in HEVC (std H.265) I would expect it to work especially since the others do. AVC/H.264 is the earlier standard from what I understand and the most compatible, HEVC/H2.65 is the one that newer and sometimes requires the additional codec.

The error your getting sounds like it cant read the file. Can you double click on the file and have it play right off the SD card. If it won't but will with a file from a GoPro that sounds like the issue. GoPro went to HEVC in the H9B, all the earlier cameras are recording in H.264. As far as I know that same codec is required if you even want to view it off the SD card with media player.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree - it seems that it shot the footage in the more standard AVC (H.264), so it's especially odd that it's having an issue.

To your second question - YES, it can open directly with a double-click and play via "Movies & TV" and/or Windows Media Player (the former is default for Windows 10, so that's what it chooses after a double-click).

I'm going to try to film a quick shot (if I get out of work before dark) and will report back the results of that attempt. Thanks!

I went out this morning and filmed all (4) of the setting types. Here are my results as I attempt to load to Adobe Premiere Elements 2019:

AVC 4k (the same setting as original clip)
- Add Media Failure, The importer reported a generic error.

AVC 1080p (HD)
- LOADED!
- too bad it's only 1080p :-(

HEVC 4k
- Add Media Failure, This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed
- THIS MATCHES THE COMPLAINTS IN THE ORIGINAL ADOBE FORUM LINK

HEVC 1080p (HD)
- Add Media Failure, This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed
- THIS MATCHES THE COMPLAINTS IN THE ORIGINAL ADOBE FORUM LINK

So, it's apparent that Premiere Elements has an issue with HEVC (H.265). That's fine since I can choose to encode in AVC. But the original clip was AVC 4k, and it's the one with the "generic error." Strangely enough, I CAN load 4k (29.97 fps) clips shot on my Hero8, so I wouldn't think it's simply a "high resolution" issue.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Capture-AdobeError1.PNG
    Capture-AdobeError1.PNG
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture-AdobeError2.PNG
    Capture-AdobeError2.PNG
    5.6 KB · Views: 0
I figured it out! The original file was simply too large (4.8GB). I shot a short (10 second) clip with the same settings (AVC 4k 30fps) and it loaded to Premiere! Now to figure out how to divide my original clip (6:56 long) into more digestible segments...

Also, there must be a setting on the Skydio2 to automatically divide clips into segments as it films, right?

Reactions: Ridefreak
I'll add my 2 cents.

h.265 (HEVC) has a lot more headroom for video features and higher bitrates. For example, if you're recording HDR footage, it will require HEVC. You cannot encode HDR footage with h.264 AVC.

I had an old version of Adobe Premiere that doesn't do h.265 HEVC. After some research, I just bit the bullet and paid for the Adobe Premiere subscription because that is the only way Adobe Premiere will support h.265 and HDR.

I assume Adobe will do the same with the lower level Adobe Premiere Elements, forcing you to upgrade to a newer version if you want to edit h.265 footage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup