Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Which AlienTech booster for Skydio 2+?

Sorry to hear about your results..... as you know, I have the same 5.8ghz booster on the way. I will test and let you know how it works for me. Any chance you reversed the antenna wires inside the Skydio controller?..... instructions are poor and its easy to do. To test you should be able to just flip the Alientech over on the outside of the controller.

For the 5.8ghz frequency when using manual, you would have to be on channels between 149 and 161. Channel 48 is a 5.2ghz frequency.

Where did the whip antennas come from?.....

Sorry to hear about your results..... as you know, I have the same 5.8ghz booster on the way. I will test and let you know how it works for me. Any chance you reversed the antenna wires inside the Skydio controller?..... instructions are poor and its easy to do. To test you should be able to just flip the Alientech over on the outside of the controller.

For the 5.8ghz frequency when using manual, you would have to be on channels between 149 and 161. Channel 48 is a 5.2ghz frequency.

Where did the whip antennas come from?.....
Thanks Saladshooter, for mentioning may have reversed the antenna wires inside. Didn’t think it mattered which of the two antenna cables connectors went too, that makes sense to flip the AlienTech over. Instead, opened up the controller few minutes ago and reversed the cables. And think you’re right and hopefully this solves the poor performance using the booster.

Yes, definitely mistook channel 48 as 5.8ghz. Going over the instruction booklet with the kit, the operating frequency band are: 5.725~5.850GHz for this model which would cover bands 149~165, but on the AlienTech website Im seeing it’s 5.725~5.800 which cover bands 149~161. Regardless, won’t know until getting this booster working correctly. Appreciate you chiming in, boy I think you’re right may have reversed the cable connections. I’ll give an update later in the day, if reversing the cables helps.

In regards to whip antennas, if memory serves me right bought several sets few years back and used them on the stock Evo 2 controller. Evo 2 is 2.4ghz and these whip anntenas worked much better than Evo 2 stock controller antennas. So these whip antennas surely must be duel band both 2.4~5.8.

Also tried longer whip 14” antennas with the Skydio 2+ controller but they didn’t do well, These smaller ones really do extremely well with Skydio 2+.

I’ll give another update later in the day if the AlienTech 5.8 booster is working correctly, And definitely keep us updated with your Skydio when you get the 5.8 booster mounted.

Thanks again 😊

PaulDC24F771-C3C8-4DEF-B421-551ECC08DB7A.jpegA9A2DC59-C1C4-4A72-BC35-CDA6030994A0.jpeg

Last edited:
@Waldo Pepper : I wanted to attach this install image as well because this is a mistake I made when I first got my Alientech DUO. The nuts on the female side of the QC connectors have to be tight or the connector won't seat properly and the antenna connection won't be made. Shine a light inside the female QC connect and you will see how short the pin that connects the circuit is and why everything needs to be right. I don't know that you made any mistakes but I am actually hoping that you did because I want this experiment to work out for the both of us.

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 4.09.14 PM.png

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
@Waldo Pepper : I wanted to attach this install image as well because this is a mistake I made when I first got my Alientech DUO. The nuts on the female side of the QC connectors have to be tight or the connector won't seat properly and the antenna connection won't be made. Shine a light inside the female QC connect and you will see how short the pin that connects the circuit is and why everything needs to be right. I don't know that you made any mistakes but I am actually hoping that you did because I want this experiment to work out for the both of us.

View attachment 679
Hello Saladshooter,

Thank you for the attached pictures, yes I have that same set of cables but from my other AlienTech booster. The set that arrived with my 5.8 boosters has a newer version cable set, they are better connection wise but unfortunately both mine are shorted.

I ohms them today with a meter, both are shorted that was why I was getting poor weak signal. Then, I checked my oyher AlienTech cables same as yours in the pics above. One was shorted the other was good. But I managed to get the bad one going for a short period, During this short flight while working correctly the 5.8 booster Immediately boosted the signal enormously. Wow! Full bars at an enormous distance, then that bad cable went south and lost signal with Skydio returning to launch area.

ive emailed my AlienTech distributor, asking if he has a spare set explaining my set are shorted. And if my distributor doesn’t have these newer type cables, I’ll ask for the later version like yours above those are good too.

Will enclose a picture of the newer cable version, I like these they mount on tight with a clip but unfortunately my set arrived shorted.

Thanks for enclosing these pictures, these will be a great help for those wanting to boost their Skydio controller.

And please keep us posted with your booster 😊
Paul

83F4021D-6F77-45E5-90E1-5E7A1498A357.jpeg83F4021D-6F77-45E5-90E1-5E7A1498A357.jpeg

Do want to add, while the AlienTech 5.8 booster was working that short period the signal strength was enormous. Full bars even flying at an angle with Skydio antennas pointing at its worst angle.

Now, just need to get a good replacement set of cables to get the 5.8 booster working properly. Turns the Skydio 2+ into a fun drone to fly manually with controller, definitely upped the Skydio to another level.

An update from my AlienTech booster distributor, he’s sending me a new set of cables the same newer version type antenna cables for this particular AlienTech 5.8 booster. Unfortunately, my new set that came with the AlienTech 5.8 booster both cables are shorted, signal is passing through both video feed wire and ground wire.

Will update when new cables arrive,

Paul

I received my Alientech Pro 5.8ghz booster in the mail and took the Skydio out for a couple of flights to test it today. I purchased this used so there was no manual in the box and I couldn't find any documentation online. Because of this my first flight went badly.... I pressed the power button but it didn't seem to turn the antenna on and was only able to achieve about 350ft distance at 200ft height.

I emailed the gentleman I purchased it from who explained that it turns on like a DJI drone; One short press, followed by a long press on the power button. My second flight went much better and added some much needed stability to the transmission. Using manual channel selection set on channel 157 (5.8ghz) and an identical flight path, I have been able to achieve the following:

Skydio Controller built in antennas : 1700ft max at 200ft height

Skydio Controller with Alientech DUO unpowered antenna/booster : 2500ft max at 200ft height

Skydio Controller with Alientech Pro 5.8ghz powered antenna/booster : 4200ft at 200ft height

These numbers are not astounding but make the Skydio a much more reliable drone for using at some distance. I have the original Skydio 2 and not the upgraded S2+ so someone with the new model may get even better results.

Last edited:
I received my Alientech Pro 5.8ghz booster in the mail and took the Skydio out for a couple of flights to test it today. I purchased this used so there was no manual in the box and I couldn't find any documentation online. Because of this my first flight went badly.... I pressed the power button but it didn't seem to turn the antenna on and was only able to achieve about 350ft distance at 200ft height.

I emailed the gentleman I purchased it from who explained that it turns on like a DJI drone; One short press, followed by a long press on the power button. My second flight went much better and added some much stability to the transmission. Using manual channel selection set on channel 157 (5.8ghz) and an identical flight path, I have been able to achieve the following:

Skydio Controller with Alientech DUO unpowered antenna/booster : 2500ft max at 200ft height

Skydio Controller with Alientech Pro 5.8ghz powered antenna/booster : 4200ft at 200ft height

These numbers are not astounding but make the Skydio a much more reliable drone for using at some distance. I have the original Skydio 2 and not the upgraded S2+ so someone with the new model may get even better results.
Those are terrific improved range with the 5.8ghz AlienTech booster Saladshooter, better than DUO that was a surprise. More than double range, very impressive glad to hear it helped your Skydio 1.

The dealer sent out a new set of booster cables for my recent 5.8ghz purchase, that was my problem both cables are shorted. Hopefully, get the new set this week.

Same with my 5.8ghz booster with Skydio 2+ when I had one good flight when cables were not causing issues, it definitely improved video feed range and had crystal clear feed at more than double range.

I’ll share more when my new set of cables arrive, hopefully that solves the problem and these are not defective. Thought about soldering two cables directly from booster to connecting inside skydio controller board. That would eliminate any bad connection, these cables in-between are it’s weakest link.

Congrats with successfully boosting your Skydio!
Paul

I emailed the gentleman I purchased it from who explained that it turns on like a DJI drone; One short press, followed by a long press on the power button. My second flight went much better and added some much needed stability to the transmission. Using manual channel selection set on channel 157 (5.8ghz) and an identical flight path, I have been able to achieve the following:

Hello Saladshooter, Would you mind posting a link to what you bought? I went on the AlienTech website but there is so much ad traffic that it gets a little confusing as to what I need. I appreciate it if you have the time.
James

Wow, this is a very informative thread, thank you all for your observations. I have an S2+ with good signals in some places, but not so good in others, I live in an area with lots of interference ( NJ, 15 miles Southeast of downtown Phila. ). I am going to give this AlienTech Booster some consideration. My current setup is the stock controller and Mini ipad , I have never had a very clear live feed, I would not call it pixelation, but some sort of effect where the live feed looks like its underwater, don't know what to call it, but I have accepted this as normal.

If I am reading these threads right, the Booster is designed to cut through all the crap that's constant in our airspace ?

Hello Saladshooter, Would you mind posting a link to what you bought? I went on the AlienTech website but there is so much ad traffic that it gets a little confusing as to what I need. I appreciate it if you have the time.
James
Sorry.... just saw this. Here is the link:

Good Morning,

With the signals being two way between the controller and S2+, the booster does it's job at boosting and extending the range of the signal from the controller, how does the S2+ send back its signal likewise with stock components ? Does the S2+ have a better onboard transmitter than the Controller ?

This is the only thing nagging me at the moment, otherwise I am ready to spend my dollars .

Good Morning,

With the signals being two way between the controller and S2+, the booster does it's job at boosting and extending the range of the signal from the controller, how does the S2+ send back its signal likewise with stock components ? Does the S2+ have a better onboard transmitter than the Controller ?

This is the only thing nagging me at the moment, otherwise I am ready to spend my dollars .
The powered amplifier in the Alientech is high gain.... so it takes what it receives from the Skydio 2/2+ and boosts it for a stronger return signal / image. Control of the Skydio is on the transmit side so it is possible to have both a decent control signal and a somewhat pixelated image.

The powered amplifier in the Alientech is high gain.... so it takes what it receives from the Skydio 2/2+ and boosts it for a stronger return signal / image. Control of the Skydio is on the transmit side so it is possible to have both a decent control signal and a somewhat pixelated image.
Understood, Thank You !

Update: I ordered the Pro 5.8 G Booster with the Controller Adapter on the 9th, shipped on the 10th, it finally lifted off Mainland China for NY today after moving around via SF Express from station to station, I swear they used a rickshaw !@#$% *&^% !

I really can't complain, I went cheap on the shipping.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup