Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Battery charging--in the field.

CrashMan

Reaction score
I know some of you charge your batteries when you are out in the field. Today I wanted to do more testing but apparently my little inverter with a max of 3 amps wasn't enough to do the job.
Once I know I don't wanna throw this thing in the garbage I wanna get a 4th battery and be able to charge on the go..

SO what are you guys doing?

Yep agreed - I just have the standard River and it's the goods - can output 100w so the dual charger will charge 2 batteries and sucks in the juice to recharge

Obviously the Skydio batteries need to cool down prior to charging so bear that in mind

That is cool but I don't need something with its own battery source....

That is cool but I don't need something with its own battery source....
i thought you said on the go? if you don't plug your drone charger into the car battery then how else do you plan to charge it? solar? if you are not on the grid, you need a "battery source." lol

maybe you can try to use one of those plugs that insert into the cla / vpa socket and has a usb port where you can plug in the skydio charger w/battery. that should work.

i thought you said on the go? if you don't plug your drone charger into the car battery then how else do you plan to charge it? solar? if you are not on the grid, you need a "battery source." lol

maybe you can try to use one of those plugs that insert into the cla / vpa socket and has a usb port where you can plug in the skydio charger w/battery. that should work.
I have not found one thats even close to the right wattage/amps..

Finally got a chance to use it today and it did the trick. Only thing I found you cannot use the USB-C port--you must use the full size usb port to charge..20220304_092439.jpg

Odd, I use the C port without issue.
The one thing I have noticed about the charger is that you need to apply power to it first so it boots up and then attach the batteries to get them to charge.

Odd, I use the C port without issue.
The one thing I have noticed about the charger is that you need to apply power to it first so it boots up and then attach the batteries to get them to charge.
Thats how I did it and nothing.... But still works perfect with the full size usb..

Thats how I did it and nothing.... But still works perfect with the full size usb..
With the full sized USB you're missing out on the PD (Power Delivery) function of that USB power supply. USB 3.0 (large connector) is only capable of 5V @ .9A or 4.5W. USB 3.1 PD which is the charging scheme the SD battery system is designed for is capable of 20V @ 3A or 62W so with that connector you're charging @ 5% of it's designed rate, the charge time will increase proportionally. There's a huge difference in charging from a USB C (PD) port compared to the larger USB 3.0 port. You'd get the same charge rate your getting now by plugging that into a small $6 USB to cig lighter adapter, it's minimal.

This picture below is showing the power demand function working with the SD charger connected to one battery. You can see it's drawing 20V @ 3A which is 62W, the max the SD charge brick can supply. With 65W it will take about 45min.

I'd figure out what's happening because right now that setup isn't supplying hardly anything. A full charge is going to take approx 12X as long compared to using the other port. Not knocking your setup but you can do much better.

(USB Power display module connected to the SD2's 65W brick and one battery on the SD dual charger)
PXL_20210305_233358924-XL.jpg

USB Charging standards: How Does Fast Charging Work? Every Standard Compared | Digital Trends

Last edited:
hmmmm,, well I guess I will have to look into that today since I am heading out again to the woods.. Its funny on the face of the unit it doesn't state any difference between the USB and USB-C ports. I have some wall mount setups and the higher output ports are always shown...

Can't answer that but I wanted to point out the difference. I had to educate myself a few years ago when trying the same thing after the SD2 came out. I bought a 65W cig lighter adapter that was capable of providing enough power but it's flaky, it was Chinese product off Amazon which is always a crapshoot.

I'd see if it will charge a phone off the smaller 3.1 connector, you may have just got a bad one. Wouldn't be the first time.

Reactions: CrashMan
So I finally had time to do a test and used a different socket in my pickup and it worked like it should. So I will investigate a connection issue with the socket..

Reactions: Ridefreak
So I finally had time to do a test and used a different socket in my pickup and it worked like it should. So I will investigate a connection issue with the socket..
I found with these high power adapters that in some circumstances the vehicle outlet can supply the lower current but not the higher output needed for the 3.1 port, that was the case running it off the MC, It didn't want to work when the bike was running but turned off it'd charge fine. That's coming off a 600W alternator so it's weird, should be plenty of power. That's using a direct connection straight off the battery to the adapter so the running vehicle was impacting it somehow. I've not bothered to investigate further yet. Let us know what you figure out, I'm looking for a more reliable charging solution also.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
I found with these high power adapters that in some circumstances the vehicle outlet can supply the lower current but not the higher output needed for the 3.1 port, that was the case running it off the MC, It didn't want to work when the bike was running but turned off it'd charge fine. That's coming off a 600W alternator so it's weird, should be plenty of power. That's using a direct connection straight off the battery to the adapter so the running vehicle was impacting it somehow. I've not bothered to investigate further yet. Let us know what you figure out, I'm looking for a more reliable charging solution also.
What about figuring out what style of plug is for the power source and hard wire it to the bike with alligator clips so ya can move it to another bike with little hassle if ya need to?

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
What about figuring out what style of plug is for the power source and hard wire it to the bike with alligator clips so ya can move it to another bike with little hassle if ya need to?
Right now it plugs into a fused SAE plug that's wired directly to the battery, same connector the battery tender uses so it'd be easy to move to something else. Plug n play in that regard.

Reactions: CrashMan
In case anybody invests in this unit the power plug is......barrel plug DC 5.5x2.1mm....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup