Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

beacon control in reverse

frankbonatelli

Reaction score
Simple question and with luck a simple answer.
Was flying the S2 a few days back and after a full connection
struggle between iPad mini beacon and drone managed to finally get some air time. How ever
Every wand motion i made or beacon position adjustment from either of the modes programmed into the beacon produced opposite results.

IE if I wand reposition left it would swing right (thankfully it was only left right directions up down were as should be)
If I click to position S2 on left of me it would swing to right
If i selected behind me it went in front.
I flew until my two batteries were drained and this persisted between battery swaps.

Really wish I had purchased the controller instead of the beacon, Change is bad donkey!! I'm very comfortable with them in my hands but this beacon is a struggle for me for sure. Maybe this will change when I get the 1190 loaded and out in the bush for some adv recordings. Maybe it'll shine then, it really has not with the westie!

Love the drone tho worst part about it is that 92.8999% of all the footage is worth watching. Makes for long vids to share with family.

Reactions: richinAZ
OK. This may sound stupid, but just checking you aren't holding the beacon upside down :)

Is this your first time using that beacon? Presuming so, sounds like its internally got a problem.

If its worked properly before, then really weird. Have ya restarted everything and issue persists? If so, sounds like a chip in beacon went haywire. If S2 flies properly from app or controller, but the controls are backward when using beacon then it seems that problem isn't S2. All that is just a guess on my part.

The worst part (to me) about beacon is trying to get it to sync, but once I was told the proper sequence, (turn on: drone, beacon, then app and connect WiFi to beacon) then that aspect was much better.

OK. This may sound stupid, but just checking you aren't holding the beacon upside down :)
also you need to face the drone and not face away from it because that would be in reverse; my left, your right. :) :)

Is this your first time using that beacon? Presuming so, sounds like its internally got a problem.

If its worked properly before, then really weird. Have ya restarted everything and issue persists? If so, sounds like a chip in beacon went haywire. If S2 flies properly from app or controller, but the controls are backward when using beacon then it seems that problem isn't S2. All that is just a guess on my part.

The worst part (to me) about beacon is trying to get it to sync, but once I was told the proper sequence, (turn on: drone, beacon, then app and connect WiFi to beacon) then that aspect was much better.
so important, the proper sequence. took me awhile to learn and once I got that under control, the drone is perfect. I don't know why Skydio doesn't stress this more; I've seen so many video ignore this and the flyer can't figure out why the drone is confused. the sequence is important for "best" usage.

Reactions: dmac1
so important, the proper sequence. took me awhile to learn and once I got that under control, the drone is perfect. I don't know why Skydio doesn't stress this more; I've seen so many video ignore this and the flyer can't figure out why the drone is confused. the sequence is important for "best" usage.
For me, the sync process would take forever. I'd stand there and stand there...still syncing. I was like....burning the battery for absolutely no reason. Seems ridiculous that they don't resolve this....or tell everyone in the 'instructions' how to do it if it hasta be just one process that works in a reasonable time. And yes.... I had plenty of sky visible so it wasn't cuz poor GPS signal.

also you need to face the drone and not face away from it because that would be in reverse; my left, your right. :) :)
Sorry guys fazed out of play mode for work! It seems i was launching the drone backwards causing it to operate in revers.

For me, the sync process would take forever. I'd stand there and stand there...still syncing. I was like....burning the battery for absolutely no reason. Seems ridiculous that they don't resolve this....or tell everyone in the 'instructions' how to do it if it hasta be just one process that works in a reasonable time. And yes.... I had plenty of sky visible so it wasn't cuz poor GPS signal.
Yes I'm still struggling with getting all devices connected. Usually a three percent battery commitment just trying to get beacon tablet and drone all on same page. And dont even get me started on thier so called drone training videos. After every one I have more new questions then aswered ones

I thought beacon instructions tell you to connect your phone to speed it up, no?
Yup it does for sure but in what sequence is this to be done. Frome launching the drone facing you to the sequence /procedure for attachment connection there is no clarity. Every run is super frustrating as a new S2 pilot. I'm so glad i still bring my mavic for the simple pleasure of flight after the struggle!

This too shale pass.

Yup it does for sure but in what sequence is this to be done. Frome launching the drone facing you to the sequence /procedure for attachment connection there is no clarity. Every run is super frustrating as a new S2 pilot. I'm so glad i still bring my mavic for the simple pleasure of flight after the struggle!

This too shale pass.
It's like anything, once you get used to the sequence it goes much faster and with little effort.
Start off with everything turned off (beacon and drone) and the app closed, not minimized. Turn on the drone first (that's important), then turn on the beacon. As soon as you see the beacon syncing open up the app, the app screen will give you the wifi button to go to the phone's wifi selection list, choose that. At the top you'll see the skydio drone, don't select it, wait a few seconds until the beacon shows up as a selectable network, Select the beacon and you'll see the sync progress rapidly.

Same sequence with the controller, everything off, app closed, turn on the skydio then open the controller so it comes on, watch for the blue light on the controller confirming a connection to the drone, open up the app and plug in the usb cable. The primary device that will communicate with the drone needs to be the first thing turned on or started once the done is powered up, then the secondary device.

It's like anything, once you get used to the sequence it goes much faster and with little effort.
Start off with everything turned off (beacon and drone) and the app closed, not minimized. Turn on the drone first (that's important), then turn on the beacon. As soon as you see the beacon syncing open up the app, the app screen will give you the wifi button to go to the phone's wifi selection list, choose that. At the top you'll see the skydio drone, don't select it, wait a few seconds until the beacon shows up as a selectable network, Select the beacon and you'll see the sync progress rapidly.

Same sequence with the controller, everything off, app closed, turn on the skydio then open the controller so it comes on, watch for the blue light on the controller confirming a connection to the drone, open up the app and plug in the usb cable. The primary device that will communicate with the drone needs to be the first thing turned on or started once the done is powered up, then the secondary device.
Awesome data my friend, thanks. Will now put the Theory to practice and see what shakes out of the tree.I’ll report back in a week. Dam work gets in the way of fun.

So I caught a clue in your words “phones wifi settings”. It made me wonder if this tablet (iPad mini5) didn’t do that from within the app as you say. So on a hunch instead of starting the app I started drone then beacon as you state but now I go to wifi settings and low n behold there was my previous log on deets for the beacon! Joined this then started app and immediately was given a ready to fly button! This has been a repeatable result!

im an Android guy since they first came out so iOS for me is a little south of my normal, I got it now and maybe others will gain from this dialog too.

thanks

For clarity; drone, beacon and app all off (not just minimized).
1) drone on
2) beacon on wait to see syncing (only a few seconds really)
3) navigate to iOS wifi settings and select beacon wifi to join
Note
I would assume if you have not done this yet from inside the app as part of a first time use sinario it will not show up. If that’s the case you going to need to go though the first time use prosses. But after that it’ll be saved as stated above.

Reactions: Ridefreak
Sounds like you got it, I can't really talk to how the IOS handles the network but on my android as soon as the app opens up I get a big blue button that says network settings, if I hit that it goes to the phones wifi. Sounds like you're doing basically the same thing. The order you do all this in is important as well as what device you connect the app to, how you get there might be different between the two platforms.

Reactions: frankbonatelli

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup