Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Best device (phone or tablet) for Skydio 2 ???

skydioconvert

Reaction score
Any particular "android" device recommended for use with the S2??

P.S. Already have an iOS device that I'll be experimenting with but am thinking of getting a dedicated "mid-priced" android phone to use with the S2.

The only problem I have with any of them, is brightness. Of course, I live in the AZ desert, where the sun never shines (IT ATTACKS!). Polarized sunglasses just make it worse.

To answer your question, though...the S2 app claims to be compatible with both Android and IOS. I'd think the choice of a device would have to be left to your personal preferences and flying conditions.

My experience with screens out doors is much the same. Adding to the brightness problem is also the reflectivity problem which makes viewing outdoors bothersome at best,

At the moment I'm leaning toward a Samsung phone but that may change as I check out other devices.

Was hoping someone would try to integrate the Parrot Anafi FPV goggles with the S2 and then tell me how to do it. lol
i too live in AZ and getting my phone out of the sun would be very helpful. the goggles would also make a great second screen for anyone wanting to look over my shoulder or for training purposes for 1st Responders....i dont think the S2 is going to get the new Enterprise controller. im using the new iphone SE and ive had 2 app crashes in-flight since the last update but none before that. id say my wi-fi range is Poor as Skydio claims 3.5 km. The S2 Drone is known and acknowledged by Skydio to have antenna issues. this is MORE the problem than the Phone is here. The range at which i start to experience video break-up at 400' AGL is around 1,000 ft. / .3 km ! - trees and houses are a factor. The Drone does what i want it to from a Quality standpoint, i am amazed at the video output. Now forcing myself to use the Beacon more as that is where the Drone shines, minimal input. ive noticed a number of Pilots online that insist on using the app w/ the Beacon. The drone loads GPS info and gets flying faster for sure and may have more info available to it to help it get home as opposed to w/o the app. Probably a smart plan until you trust / learn the S2. i have a strong suspicion that those guys dont...

Last edited:
My main objective is to get a newer Android phone to complement the iOS phone I'll be using with my S2.

Given that, any suitable Android phone will need to have at least the Nougat 7.0 or higher OS with at least 200MB of storage space.

I plan on going to even a higher Android version... most likely the Pie 9.0 OS.

Last edited:
The Galaxy S20 FE is now available for pre order and will ship Oct. 2. $700 retail with 128gb of internal storage and expandable to 1tb.

The Galaxy S20 FE is now available for pre order and will ship Oct. 2. $700 retail with 128gb of internal storage and expandable to 1tb.
Looks like a nice phone but all models seem to be 5G phones which is something I'm not yet sold on.

P.S. Need to also check out that the maximum size phone that the S2 controller can hold.

Looks like a nice phone but all models seem to be 5G phones which is something I'm not yet sold on.

P.S. Need to also check out that the maximum size phone that the S2 controller can hold.
There are parrot anafi accessories that let you use tablets aswell.

Reactions: skydioconvert
There are parrot anafi accessories that let you use tablets aswell.
Very nice info.... got a feeling I'll probably eventually have to compromise on large screen size or comfortable weights.

I made a simple mod to my Anafi controller and plan to do the same to the Skydio one.

Attachments

• IMG_7612.JPG
    IMG_7612.JPG
    515.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7615.JPG
    IMG_7615.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7618.JPG
    IMG_7618.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7621.JPG
    IMG_7621.JPG
    481.5 KB · Views: 18
Can't tell by your pics if this attachment is completely your own design or a mod to the Anafi SkyController 3 Tablet Holder? Good pics of the latter are hard to come by.

Isn't using a large (heavy) device on the controller really tiring after a while?

Can't tell by your pics if this attachment is completely your own design or a mod to the Anafi SkyController 3 Tablet Holder? Good pics of the latter are hard to come by.

Isn't using a large (heavy) device on the controller really tiring after a while?
This is my own design. I wanted something simple that would not involve carrying and assembling an extra mount. The only parts are the plastic Tee section that is attached to the controller and a plastic plate attached to the back of the tablet. In those pictures I had a purchased hood on the tablet. I later made a hood that stays on the tablet and folds flat to protect the screen. I also added a flat ribbon that serves as a lanyard to hold the assembly in a balanced position, hanging from my neck.

Attachments

• Hood folded.JPG
    Hood folded.JPG
    706.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Hood opened.JPG
    Hood opened.JPG
    740 KB · Views: 11
  • lanyard.JPG
    lanyard.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 11
This is my own design. I wanted something simple that would not involve carrying and assembling an extra mount. The only parts are the plastic Tee section that is attached to the controller and a plastic plate attached to the back of the tablet. In those pictures I had a purchased hood on the tablet. I later made a hood that stays on the tablet and folds flat to protect the screen. I also added a flat ribbon that serves as a lanyard to hold the assembly n a balanced position, hanging from my neck.
I share your desire to keep things simple so I'm going to change direction and not buy the Anafi Tablet Mount.

I'm mulling over what size device I'll be using so I need to decide that first before trying some ideas for mount designs I have in mind.

Using a screen shade (at this point) very much complicates touching the device screen, so I may just have to suffer screen viewing problems if I want to take full advantage of the screen controls.

I share your desire to keep things simple so I'm going to change direction and not buy the Anafi Tablet Mount.

I'm mulling over what size device I'll be using so I need to decide that first before trying some ideas for mount designs I have in mind.

Using a screen shade (at this point) very much complicates touching the device screen, so I may just have to suffer screen viewing problems if I want to take full advantage of the screen controls.
I chose the Samsung S5e, a very bright 10" tablet. My mount could be easily fitted to any tablet, cost almost nothing and took little time to make. The shade has not been a problem as far as reaching the touchscreen as it is open at the bottom. It works fine with the Freeflight app for my Anafi and I expect it will with the Skydio app as well. I will share results when I receive my Skydio. I may also mod my controller to add an on off switch as I did with my Anafi.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup