Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

DJI Community is Absolutely Toxic

Redi3s

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've a DJI Mini 3 Pro and unfortunately I bought into the DJI hype like many people do. At the end of the day, it's an Apple-esque product run by Apple-esque people who lock down every aspect of your drone's flying abilities, permissions to fly, etc. The DJI fanboys don't like to hear the negatives of this drone as it hurts their egos deeply.

My friend actually has a Skydio2 and it's made some fantastic videos with a certain ease that I can't seem to achieve with my Mini 3 Pro. He fusses a lot less over flights and seems to worry a lot less about what his drone will do.

The Mini 3 Pro is a toy for the glamour shot crowd in essence. That's about it. Yes it's light and quiet but so is my friend's SkyDio.

I'm now in the process of trying to sell it because of how crap the DJI community is and how crap the DJI support and service are. I'm now seriously considering purchasing a SkyDio 2 for mapping, 3D modeling, and more professional level work than just flying around a freaking castle all day and being pumped that I can post it on YouTube.

Any thoughts on the SkyDio 2 for my application?

Reactions: GFields
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

I have the Skydio 2+ and it does an ok job with video for Youtube and such, but not impressed with the image quality.
If you plan to do mapping with a Skydio product I would strongly suggest one of the enterprise versions.

Reactions: Redi3s
I have several dji drones, I agree that the geofencing and unlocking is tiring for someone that flies commercially. My s2 isn’t quite as responsive, but none of the headaches. The OA is unsurpassed. For my usage the Skydio is fine for the inspections I do, I always use the controller with Tripltek tablet.

Unfortunately, it looks like Skydio is only shipping the Enterprise version of the 2+. Starter, Sports, Cinema, and Pro can no longer be ordered.

Unfortunately, it looks like Skydio is only shipping the Enterprise version of the 2+. Starter, Sports, Cinema, and Pro can no longer be ordered.
That seems absolutely ridiculous. Why on earth would they do that? Seems like Skydio is shooting themselves in the head with first time customers or customers who wish to choose something besides DJI...like me. Oh well.

That seems absolutely ridiculous. Why on earth would they do that? Seems like Skydio is shooting themselves in the head with first time customers or customers who wish to choose something besides DJI...like me. Oh well.
I wouldnt say ebay is rife with skydio drones for sale but the aftermarket has a fair amount of skydio drones for those who dont want to go the official route (skydio care, etc).

i am almost tempted to sell my used s2+ at a decent price while i can get a fair price and no new s2+ product is widely available otherwise. in anticipation of the s3 (or whatever, which i'm going to buy anyway), why not take the risk and offload the s2+ now?

i don't know this for sure and i hope nobody actually thinks this way but if skydio waits longer than 30 days since the last s2+ before they come out with the s3, you cannot return s2+ recent purchase, maybe? sometimes cease sales means "ready to convert over" time, i hope.

If Skydio is not shipping consumer drones (2+s) and they are not taking orders for 2+s, then they are no longer in the consumer drone business. It is possible they are going to introduce a model 3. Unfortunately, to be competitive, any new drone would need to have features that would erode their main enterprise business.

I just took a look at the website. They state that they are "out of stock". But, for the Enterprise they don't list that as out of stock. Probably because if you ordered that you would get priority over the other orders.

It could be exactly as they say, the demand is high enough that they cannot keep up with production. Or it could be that they have indeed wound down production till the new model comes out.

As a production manager myself, that is not what I would do. I would keep production matching demand regardless of whether the next model is soon out. If they have done things right, there supply of parts should be all "Just in time" and they should still be able to sell all of the S2's (maybe at a lower price) after the S3 comes out.

So that leads me to believe that the demand has gone up. (Mostly just my guess)

I have both the Skydio and the Mini pro 3. I find the pro 3 much more difficult to use. Too many options, buttons, settings for a beginner pilot like myself. I want to be able to launch it and have it film me. At times I also want to fly around the castle (possible where I live) and it does that just fine.

For an expert, maybe the mini pro does all that better but I have so many problems with it. Usually due to hitting a wrong button on the controller while I am handling the drone. I want auto exposure to work. I dont want to fiddle with color, light, apeture, frame rate and all of that jazz, I just want to get my shot before the battery runs out. So far I've been able to use something from every flight with the skydio.

With the mini I have not yet been satisfied. Either the exposure was completely wrong or in auto mode the picture is dull and the blues look like grey. The image sucks and now I would have to fix it with post editing. Or, I have also thought that I got the perfect shot in an incredible location only to realize when I got home that I did not hit the "Record" button.

So for me, I still would pick the Skydio over the DJI.

Skydio recently raised a ton of money from investors, one of the priorities is to build a new factory, I wish I could post the article, but having trouble locating it. I find it a bit odd Skydio is out of stock on the S2+ for the Consumer, either by design or someone with piss poor inventory & production planning. I did post in another thread about my earlier thoughts on the matter, speculating on a new consumer drone.

Skydio should communicate something to hold the confidence of its consumer customer base, IMHO.

Skydio recently raised a ton of money from investors, one of the priorities is to build a new factory, I wish I could post the article, but having trouble locating it. I find it a bit odd Skydio is out of stock on the S2+ for the Consumer, either by design or someone with piss poor inventory & production planning. I did post in another thread about my earlier thoughts on the matter, speculating on a new consumer drone.

Skydio should communicate something to hold the confidence of its consumer customer base, IMHO.
Being out of stock, if true, smacks of either (1) rather draconian inventory management or (2) some major shift in the supply chain (e.g., new plant, new product, new supplier, etc.). It's hard to believe Skydio would should itself in the butt at this point; however, these are strange times.

BTW, I find the S2+ video just fine for internet replay if you set the codec, bitrate, etc., correctly for edit output. It won't win any videography awards but that's not the point of it all.

just saw this popup on the skydio website:

Sorry, we're currently out of stock due to high demand!

just saw this popup on the skydio website:

Sorry, we're currently out of stock due to high demand!
I was told differently from Skydio....the rep I spoke to stated that they're not supporting drones below enterprise level... And I quote:

"Unfortunately we don't sell our consumer drones anymore and our enterprise drones start at 5000."

What a bad business choice

I was told differently from Skydio....the rep I spoke to stated that they're not supporting drones below enterprise level... And I quote:

"Unfortunately we don't sell our consumer drones anymore and our enterprise drones start at 5000."

in that case, the skydio 2+ will become a gem. i'm sure the warranty and care plans are still valid.

in that case, the skydio 2+ will become a gem. i'm sure the warranty and care plans are still valid.
That doesn't help people who want to purchase a Skydio.

Man...this industry is a mess. I never realized how bad it is until I stepped into it. From the drones to the softwares to the service. It's incredible any of these companies survive.

I was just looking at getting into mapping and things of that nature but it's next to impossible given how chaotic and unorganized everything is. So unprofessional.

I am really hoping the Rep you spoke with is a dummy, there is no way Skydio would just drop support for the consumer drones after all that were sold, perhaps they are ending the sales of them except for Enterprise systems, that makes sense to me, but to end support would likely attract Class Action Lawsuits from thousands of consumer owners.

I am really hoping the Rep you spoke with is a dummy, there is no way Skydio would just drop support for the consumer drones after all that were sold, perhaps they are ending the sales of them except for Enterprise systems, that makes sense to me, but to end support would likely attract Class Action Lawsuits from thousands of consumer owners.
There's nothing about then not selling consumer drone any longer in my searches, obviously not conclusive but I find it hard to believe they'd let their techs announce this and not make a formal statement.

Well I was shocked by the reply as much as you all are. It makes no sense but one never knows. I can't believe they would be completely out of stock for 3 out of the 4 versions of the SD2+ but there has to be a reason behind it. In a way, it'd be better for the reason to be they don't support them anymore rather than not being able to meet demand. These are drones not cars...it can't be that hard to make them and keep them in inventory. I don't like DJI at all and there are too many koolaid drinking fanboys who support it blindly for no particularly good reason. But SD has to do better than this if it wants to gain customers like me. I'm ready to dump my Mini 3 Pro...like yesterday...for an SD but not if I have to spend $5k for a drone. No thank you. I even wrote back to the rep saying that and nada...no response.

I don't know the support aspect of it but her comment was clear that they will not be selling their consumer drones except for the Enterprise level.

I just wrote them and asked straight up, others should too. At least try to force them to acknowledge ether way. I let you know what they say.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup