Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

DRONE DEPLOY AND S2

kalimouse

Reaction score
Since I am waiting for my s2 , I wanted to ask a question that pertains to the reason I am getting it. I am working on a report for new Search and Rescue tools for our budget next year. The s2 seems to be a effective tool to assist in searching through trees and down hazardous terrain that would normally dangerous to other drones. What I am referring to, is shown in this video below. I have been led to believe dronedeploy works with the s2, but if you were to make a search grid through a dense forest would it dodge trees to continue to the next way-point? Would it effectively cover a defined area?

The S2 is quite capable in the trees, I use mine to check gates and my property as a whole. It is heavily wooded and the S2 can go below the canary. I’m still having a learning curve flying down low. I use only a controller cause I want full control, sometimes the S2 will take over avoiding a object earlier than expected or it hesitates. I’m sure over time I’ll get the feel of flying with such good AO.

Reactions: kalimouse
Since I am waiting for my s2 , I wanted to ask a question that pertains to the reason I am getting it. I am working on a report for new Search and Rescue tools for our budget next year. The s2 seems to be a effective tool to assist in searching through trees and down hazardous terrain that would normally dangerous to other drones. What I am referring to, is shown in this video below. I have been led to believe dronedeploy works with the s2, but if you were to make a search grid through a dense forest would it dodge trees to continue to the next way-point? Would it effectively cover a defined area?

Perhaps the below Dronedeploy's Skydio FAQ helps answer some of your questions...

Reactions: Humboldt Mtn flyer
Perhaps the below Dronedeploy's Skydio FAQ helps answer some of your questions...

Thank you, that is what I helped me in deciding to make this purchase. What I am really curious about is if anyone has tried it at low altitude with drone deploy through obstacles?

I have used Drone Deploy and I fly a Skydio 2 drone but I have yet to use them together for flying. Unfortunately the Drone Deploy flight app only runs on iOS and I'm an Android user.

Its a neat idea to fly a search pattern automatically like your considering.

I have flown my Skydio 2 in the woods through trees with leafless branches both manually and in a tracking mode. It is nerve-racking. On one flight a propeller hit a very thin branch. Fortunately the Skydio 2 didn't crash.

The obstacle avoidance is incredible, but in my opinion, its still very risky to fly near small (especially leafless) branches.

One other thing to keep in mind though is the beyond line of sight issues it sounds like you may face.

Good luck.

Reactions: kalimouse
I emailed DroneDeploy about if they were going to offer Android support. They said it's set to be released end of this quarter, however "only flight modes supported will be simple maps and models". I'm not that familiar with DroneDeploy yet so I don't know what exactly they're referring to.

@kalimouse I took my S2 out to the woods this past weekend and had it track my son walking on a trail. I then processed some of the video into a model that shows the flight path. Check out a video animation as well as the footage at:

YouTube video of the path my Skydio2 flew in tracking mode in the woods

I knew I was taking on extra risk doing this.

My Skydio 2 did crash later down the trail still running in motion track mode into a 1" diameter leafless tree. Two broken propellers but she's good to go after replacing them. I have that video and animation on my Instagram page (@LaunchedPix) in a multi-swipe post along with some humerous commentary from my wife. It's healthy to laugh at ourselves from time to time.

So despite my taking a risk flying in the woods on this one occasion with leafless trees I don't recommend doing it. I'm amazed by what the Skydio2 can do, but its important pilots recognize the limits of the obstacle avoidance or they may end up with a crash.

Here is a picture of the cover of the video on YouTube

IMG_20210325_185233_584.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup