Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

FAA Proposal Number FAA-2019-1100 for Remote ID Registration Question

tcrusan

Reaction score
The proposed FAA Ruling would require all UAV owners, operators AND manufacturers to register their devices and be Remote ID capable.

Please read link here: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...e-identification-of-unmanned-aircraft-systems

This is outside of registration/licensing under part 107.

As a new drone operator I purchased the new SKYDIO R2 unit. Happily it has arrived and I have completed all the unboxing, charging, pairing and reading associated with the equipment. My intent from the beginning has been to be a "safe flyer" hobbyist in accordance with part 336 requirements. I have no commercial plans for this equipment or myself as an operator.

My question concerns the R2 units capability for Remote ID, as outlined in the FAA proposal. At this writing, is the R2 unit remote ID capable? If the R2 unit IS NOT and the FAA proposal passes and registration becomes a requirement will SKYDIO be able to make the R2 unit compliant within the 3 year window allowed by the ruling?

Since passage of the ruling will affect all UAV's, including hobbyist RC aircraft, I would like to be proactive with this proposed ruling. I just started my drone career and don't want to end it over "legalise".

Please help confine this discussion to the proposed FAA ruling FAA-2019-1100 and its implication to the SKYDIO R2 units. Quite frankly part 107 and part 336 issues are a non-starter for me. Outside of 'safe flying' and hobbyist discussions I am uninterested.

Lots of discussion on those same questions already

Lots of discussion on those same questions already
I have not seen any response from Skydio on it though - has anyone gotten anything from them on it that they can repeat? One of the interesting Qs in my mind is that they tell you that in order to avoid interference and dropping the connection to the drone you should put your phone in airplane mode when flying, but if you did that, you would not be able to use remote ID!

The proposed FAA Ruling would require all UAV owners, operators AND manufacturers to register their devices and be Remote ID capable.

Please read link here: Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

This is outside of registration/licensing under part 107.

As a new drone operator I purchased the new SKYDIO R2 unit. Happily it has arrived and I have completed all the unboxing, charging, pairing and reading associated with the equipment. My intent from the beginning has been to be a "safe flyer" hobbyist in accordance with part 336 requirements. I have no commercial plans for this equipment or myself as an operator.

My question concerns the R2 units capability for Remote ID, as outlined in the FAA proposal. At this writing, is the R2 unit remote ID capable? If the R2 unit IS NOT and the FAA proposal passes and registration becomes a requirement will SKYDIO be able to make the R2 unit compliant within the 3 year window allowed by the ruling?

Since passage of the ruling will affect all UAV's, including hobbyist RC aircraft, I would like to be proactive with this proposed ruling. I just started my drone career and don't want to end it over "legalise".

Please help confine this discussion to the proposed FAA ruling FAA-2019-1100 and its implication to the SKYDIO R2 units. Quite frankly part 107 and part 336 issues are a non-starter for me. Outside of 'safe flying' and hobbyist discussions I am uninterested.
Skydio (and every other drone manufacturer out there) has and probably will continue to be pretty quiet on how it plans to respond to the FAA's proposed Remote ID regulation.

The FAA being only a regulatory body outside of any pressure from voters can pretty much do what it wants to control the airspace in this country.

If you want to be truelly proactive, the best thing to do is write to your states congressmen and politely request a delay (and re-valuation) of the proposed FAA's regulation.

Reactions: Ridefreak

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup