Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

FAA Remote ID: What the Rule Means for Your Skydio Drone (September 07 2022)

kenmavic2zoom

Reaction score
Are You Ready for Remote ID? We've Got You Covered

b67abf26673dbf7f42308654d052d6f5c6fa7fc7-1940x1293.png

Skydio has the best customers in the world. We're continuously amazed by the ways you use your drones to capture incredible footage, complete critical tasks, and push the boundaries of what's possible.

At Skydio, our mission is to make the world more creative, productive, and safe. A crucial part of achieving that mission is doing everything in our power to help you use our systems with maximum ease and efficiency — including meeting the key regulatory requirements needed to keep you flying.

On September 16, 2022, a new and substantial drone regulation that impacts both drone manufacturers and operators will take effect in the United States — the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Remote Identification requirement. Today, we want to share how Skydio is responding to these requirements and outline what our customers can expect to see in the coming weeks and months. In short, we have your back.

What Is FAA Remote ID?​

In 2021, the FAA published its Remote ID rule, requiring almost all drones operating in U.S. airspace to remotely identify themselves. Like the license plate on your car, this "digital license plate" is designed to provide a higher level of safety for in-flight drones — encouraging pilots to follow the rules and enabling the authorities to identify operators that don't.

Under the Remote ID rule, every drone must broadcast certain information about the drone and its operation. These include a digital license plate consisting of the drone’s serial number, position, emergency status, speed, the controller’s position, and a timestamp. The rule applies to virtually all drones. Exceptions exist only for the U.S. Department of Defense or other federal agencies, flights within an FAA-recognized Identification Area (FRIA), or drones that weigh 0.55 pounds or less and are used exclusively for recreational purposes.

When Does Remote ID Take Effect?​

In rolling out the Remote ID rule, the FAA is taking a phased approach with two critical deadlines.

Drone Manufacturers

Any drone that a manufacturer like Skydio produces on or after September 16, 2022, must be Remote ID compliant. This means that with the exception of exempted Skydio X2D drones used by the Department of Defense and other federal agencies, all Skydio drones produced on or after September 16, 2022, will be built with Remote ID, as required by regulation.

Drone Operators

Operators must begin using Remote ID-compliant drones by September 16, 2023, unless flying in an FAA-recognized Identification Area (FRIAs). FAA-recognized Identification Areas are locations, such as flying clubs, where an unmanned aircraft may operate without Remote ID technology. After September 16, 2023, if you’re operating a drone without Remote ID technology, then flying in FRIAs, or qualifying for one of the few exceptions, are the only way to remain compliant.

skydio 2+ drone

How Does Remote ID Impact You?​

Skydio Drones used by the Department of Defense​

Skydio X2D drones used by the Department of Defense are exempt from the Remote ID rule. Federal agencies outside of the DoD can continue to purchase Skydio X2Ds. However, federal agencies operating non-Remote-ID-enabled drones after September 16, 2023, in United States airspace can only remain compliant with the Remote ID rule if the agency receives an exemption to the operating rules.

Skydio Drones Produced on or After September 16, 2022​

New Skydio drones produced after September 16th, 2022, will have Remote ID built in, with the exception of Skydio X2D drones used by the U.S. Department of Defense or other federal agencies. A drone with Remote ID built-in will be clearly identified as such with a special label. Per FAA requirements, built-in Remote ID cannot be disabled, and end users do not have the ability to turn off their drone's Remote ID broadcast or alter any portion of the broadcast message.

Skydio Drones Produced prior to September 16, 2022​

As a pilot, a drone that was previously produced and purchased by you is not required to broadcast a Remote ID signal until September 16, 2023. If you purchased a Skydio drone that was produced prior to September 16th, 2022, you are not impacted by this change, and your drone will not broadcast Remote ID information. However, if we repair or replace your Skydio 2+ or X2E drone on or after September 16, 2022, the drone you receive back will have Remote ID built-in — regardless of its original manufacture date.

Skydio X2E

If you or your organization purchased a Skydio 2, 2+, or X2E that was produced prior to September 16, 2022, we are working to determine the best path to Remote ID compliance before the September 2023 operator deadline and plan to enable compliance via a simple software update. Our customers are our top priority, and we are committed to helping every Skydio pilot understand what's required to comply with the regulations. In the coming months, we will share more details for customers with non-Remote ID-enabled drones on Skydio's plans to help them meet the operator compliance deadline before September 2023.

We are committed to helping you fly in compliance with regulatory requirements as easily and seamlessly as possible.

To learn more, read our FAQ and updated privacy policy.

So eventually every Skydio 2 owners will have to send back their drones, right?

Cheers.

I believe skydio can add it in a software patch.

I've also heard it's a SW update.

it sounds like if you buy a drone in october that was made in october, your drone will broadcast remote-id starting in october or a full year before you are required to?

the rule says end-users don't have the ability to turn it off but does that mean skydio can turn it off and then turn it back on next year in september?

im asking because if it's just a sw update and october drones have the sw, why would it not get pushed to pre-september drones in october? is there a hw component to skydio's current remote id solution?

I got a replacement Skydio 2+ this week and it came with Remote ID...works seamlessly...does a Remote ID check before the flight. Has the remote ID serial number for FAA registration on the bottom.

Reactions: BlueHeeler
On September 16, 2023, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will begin requiring drone operators in the United States to broadcast Remote ID information, unless flying in an FAA-recognized identification area1.
What does this mean for you?

Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Skydio drones are the smartest, safest drones in the world and we want to make it easy to be compliant when flying our products.

If you have a Skydio drone produced after September 16, 2022, Remote ID is already enabled for your drone. For more information visit What is Remote ID, and how does Skydio have you covered?

If you have a Skydio drone produced before September 16, 2022, we will automatically enable Remote ID for your drone on June 12, 2023.
How will this work?

On June 12 2023, we will push out a simple update that will enable Remote ID for your drone when flown with the Skydio Enterprise Controller or Skydio mobile apps.

You’ll receive an email with step-by-step instructions to update, re-register with the FAA, and affix a Remote ID label to your drone. We will also make this information available on our Support site.

Thank you for helping us continue to make our world more creative, productive, and safe. Stay tuned for our June 12 update!

-Skydio

What does this mean for you?

If you have a Skydio drone produced before September 16, 2022,
we will automatically enable Remote ID for your drone on June 12, 2023.

How will this work?

On June 12 2023, we will push out a simple update that will enable Remote ID for your drone when flown with the Skydio Enterprise Controller or Skydio mobile apps.

"...or Skydio mobile apps"

For those with the Skydio2, I wonder if this means we can't fly using the controller? I sure hope not. That would basically end my use of the drone, if I'd only be able to fly using the phone app.

Hello Folks, is there the update of the 7th june for the remote id? Is it mandatory? thanks to everyone

Hello Folks, is there the update of the 7th june for the remote id? Is it mandatory? thanks to everyone
I got an email from Skydio on June 12th with the link to the update including detailed instructions. It was a typical update process - took about 35 minutes which included updates to the controller and beacon.

I am not able to find where the FAA Standard Remote ID Compliant label is so I can print it and get it onto the drone.
Anyone figure this out?
I've got a Skydio2 produced before September 16, 2022.

I am not able to find where the FAA Standard Remote ID Compliant label is so I can print it and get it onto the drone.
Anyone figure this out?
I've got a Skydio2 produced before September 16, 2022.
I fly my drone in italy, I am just worried the update can lock my drone here.

Well, I've been waiting all week for the RID Update, nothing, so got to thinking maybe they already did. I just went out and launched my S2+ and discovered it was broadcasting. I think they snuck that into the last update on the 7th without a notice, but they send out an email stating they will be realeasing an update thereafter.

Sneaky Bastards :devilish:

Well, I've been waiting all week for the RID Update, nothing, so got to thinking maybe they already did. I just went out and launched my S2+ and discovered it was broadcasting. I think they snuck that into the last update on the 7th without a notice, but they send out an email stating they will be realeasing an update thereafter.

Sneaky Bastards :devilish:
look for this version dated june 7 but slowly rolled out over a week's time:

Skydio 2/2+ software version24.2.13

look for this version dated june 7 but slowly rolled out over a week's time:

Skydio 2/2+ software version24.2.13
That's the Version I installed, Release Notes on the Website did not state Remote ID but Map Capture for Enterprise and Bug and Performance Fixes for Consumers. ( I have both )

Anyways, it's in there :)

Reactions: kenmavic2zoom
I just did an update, but it turns out it's the May 2 update version of the software. However, the RID is there...

Yeah, but since I just did the update 2 days ago I'm wondering why I don't have the June 7th latest software installed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thought I'd try to update again this morning to see if the June 7th version showed, and it did 👍. So strange that it didn't show immediately after the last update done on Friday, but now the drone, controller and beacon are current 👌.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup