Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Has anyone gotten Skydio2+ to work in Europe?

We have tried everything you've suggested @ETdronehome , manually inputting the details. This isn't my first Skydio. I have been in contact with the CEO of Skydio and he said it's a known and 'tricky' issue. He's given me his private contact to follow up with the team. I'll keep you guys updated.

We have tried everything you've suggested @ETdronehome , manually inputting the details. This isn't my first Skydio. I have been in contact with the CEO of Skydio and he said it's a known and 'tricky' issue. He's given me his private contact to follow up with the team. I'll keep you guys updated.
Thank you! That's great! Hope they can find a fix. S2 is such a great product. Would be great we can use it in Europe

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
I have the same problem but diferent experience, I've read all posts about this "Skydio 2+ issue" and none of you got the same experience as me.

The thing is: IT WORKED FINE in the setup procedure and the next day (08-02-2022) I flew for 18 min outside
I could see the SSID on my phone, I connected with the beam and everything was fine, I have proof (Video shooting and flight logs), then the next day (09-02-2022) I couldn't see the Skydio 2+ SSID anymore, also the beacon couldn't find the SSID, and that's make me have 100% sure that the drone was programed to be geofenced at anytime the masters wanted.

I have the same problem but diferent experience, I've read all posts about this "Skydio 2+ issue" and none of you got the same experience as me.

The thing is: IT WORKED FINE in the setup procedure and the next day (08-02-2022) I flew for 18 min outside
I could see the SSID on my phone, I connected with the beam and everything was fine, I have proof (Video shooting and flight logs), then the next day (09-02-2022) I couldn't see the Skydio 2+ SSID anymore, also the beacon couldn't find the SSID, and that's make me have 100% sure that the drone was programed to be geofenced at anytime the masters wanted.
Thats interesting
Did you do any firmware update in the middle?
When you activated first time do you assume it had GPS connection, so it could know its location broadly?

Maybe the latest firmware update got you after you first flight. Can you tell me which country you are in? Am in direct contact with the CEO and want to provide as much evidence & data as possible. I mentioned in my email that it doesn't work in the UK, Italy & Switzerland so far.

Maybe the latest firmware update got you after you first flight. Can you tell me which country you are in? Am in direct contact with the CEO and want to provide as much evidence & data as possible. I mentioned in my email that it doesn't work in the UK, Italy & Switzerland so far.

I'm in Spain

Thats interesting
Did you do any firmware update in the middle?
When you activated first time do you assume it had GPS connection, so it could know its location broadly?
In the setup procedure I made the firmware update, i can't remember if the update was mandatory, I just did the update and it worked fine, on that day (setup day) was made inside my house and it was a very cloudy day and I think I didn't have gps signal on my phone, the next day was a sunny day and I think I connect the phone to the drone without anny GPS signal because I was under the trees, So I'm assuming as soon the drone realised it's GPS position was outside USA It just turn off the WiFi signal, that's the only racional explanation, If that's true, that's really a bad move from the skydio company, I really don't want to bealive this, it makes me sick and very disapointed...

Switzerland

Good news my friends, I have fixed the problem
I will soon post all the procedures on how the fix the SSID issue

Congratulations and let me guess...

It is through hardware reset, right?

Last edited:

TEMPORARY (NO WIFI SSID CONNECTION) FIX FOR SKYDIO 2+:

This is all procedure steps that I did and documented (I did this 2 times)

Before you begin the procedures make sure that your skydio 2+ is turned off for more than 30 min

PHASE 1 (RECOMMENDED STEPS):
This are just recomended extra steps (because I'm just paranoid)
  1. Go to a location without GPS signal (Not sure if this is necessary but better be safe)
  2. Uninstall the Skydio app
  3. Put the phone on airplain mode
  4. turn on the WiFi on your phone (cellular data must be off)
  5. Get the fake GPS app like the one: Fake GPS location - Apps on Google Play and in the app change your location to USA (you have to enable "Allow mock locations" option in the android developer options menu)
  6. Install the Skydio app

PHASE 2 (MANDATORY STEPS):
Factory Reset for Skydio 2+ (it seems the procedure is not the same for the old Skydio 2)
  1. Remove the battery from the Skydio 2+ (for this to work the drone must be with NO battery)
  2. Connect the usb-c cable for battery charging to the main unit's usb-c connector that is on top of the drone.
  3. When you connect the usb-c cable to the drone the blue light of the main body will turn on an then it will start to blink.
  4. When it starts the blinking pattern just count 6 blinks and immediately remove the USB-c port from the charging port.
  5. Repeat this power cycle 6 times: (Connect the cable > Blue light turns ON > 6 blinks > disconnect de cable)
  6. At seventh time, connect the cable and leave it alone. The blue light will start to blink and the factory reset will begin.
  7. You can now connect the (full) battery to the drone but don't disconnect the usb-c power cord from the drone
  8. It will take 10 - 15 mins for the factory reset be completed
  9. After factory reset is completed the blue lights from the drone will be steady (no blinking)
  10. You will see now the SSID visible from the skydio 2+ on you phone's WiFi settings
  11. You can now open and connect the skydio app to the drone
  12. If the connection drops you have to go to your phone's wifi advanced settings and turn off the automatic connection
  13. DON'T UPDATE THE FIRMWARE FOR NOW

That's it, that's the Jailbreak of the Skydio 2+, I called SKYDIO2+FOREU method
I hope it works with you guys

Peace out
Alcino Major

TEMPORARY (NO WIFI SSID CONNECTION) FIX FOR SKYDIO 2+:

This is all procedure steps that I did and documented (I did this 2 times)

Before you begin the procedures make sure that your skydio 2+ is turned off for more than 30 min

PHASE 1 (RECOMMENDED STEPS):
This are just recomended extra steps (because I'm just paranoid)
  1. Go to a location without GPS signal (Not sure if this is necessary but better be safe)
  2. Uninstall the Skydio app
  3. Put the phone on airplain mode
  4. turn on the WiFi on your phone (cellular data must be off)
  5. Get the fake GPS app like the one: Fake GPS location - Apps on Google Play and in the app change your location to USA (you have to enable "Allow mock locations" option in the android developer options menu)
  6. Install the Skydio app

PHASE 2 (MANDATORY STEPS):
Factory Reset for Skydio 2+ (it seems the procedure is not the same for the old Skydio 2)
  1. Remove the battery from the Skydio 2+ (for this to work the drone must be with NO battery)
  2. Connect the usb-c cable for battery charging to the main unit's usb-c connector that is on top of the drone.
  3. When you connect the usb-c cable to the drone the blue light of the main body will turn on an then it will start to blink.
  4. When it starts the blinking pattern just count 6 blinks and immediately remove the USB-c port from the charging port.
  5. Repeat this power cycle 6 times: (Connect the cable > Blue light turns ON > 6 blinks > disconnect de cable)
  6. At seventh time, connect the cable and leave it alone. The blue light will start to blink and the factory reset will begin.
  7. You can now connect the (full) battery to the drone but don't disconnect the usb-c power cord from the drone
  8. It will take 10 - 15 mins for the factory reset be completed
  9. After factory reset is completed the blue lights from the drone will be steady (no blinking)
  10. You will see now the SSID visible from the skydio 2+ on you phone's WiFi settings
  11. You can now open and connect the skydio app to the drone
  12. If the connection drops you have to go to your phone's wifi advanced settings and turn off the automatic connection
  13. DON'T UPDATE THE FIRMWARE FOR NOW

That's it, that's the Jailbreak of the Skydio 2+, I called SKYDIO2+FOREU method
I hope it works with you guys

Peace out
Alcino Major
Nice detailed write up!

The solution works for android phones and likely tablets but I’m not sure if Apple IOS has an equivalent to the fake gps app??

Can you state what make and model of phone you used?

Any theory on why it broke after you had it working the first time and/or what would make it stop working again?

Does the fake gps app cause any issues with other apps on your phone like mapping etc?

Reactions: Majority
Nice detailed write up!

The solution works for android phones and likely tablets but I’m not sure if Apple IOS has an equivalent to the fake gps app??

Can you state what make and model of phone you used?

Any theory on why it broke after you had it working the first time and/or what would make it stop working again?

Does the fake gps app cause any issues with other apps on your phone like mapping etc?

Tested only on an Android phone (Samsung S8 from Europe)
I'm sure you can get a fake gps app for IOS

Yes it does effect every app, you have to turn it off and force close, the Fake Gps app is only for download the skydio app and for the initial setup, don't use it after that!

Regarding the theory of this issuse, I have several theories why this is happening:

1 - New Firmware Update brings geofencing feature for European costumers
it works like this: if the drone comes without the new firmware update out of the box, you will be able to connect to the drone with your phone and perform the initial setup, you will be able to fly normally but after you update the firmware the change to the drone's system protocol will not be instant, it will wait chronologically or after the last flight and then when you turn it on again the new system protocol it will be activated and you will not see anymore the Drone's WiFi SSID (This was certainly my case and the most plausible theory)

2 - The app knows where you are and sends a disable WiFi Network command to the drone and it's permanent (not very realistic and plausible theory because it will disable permanently the wifi connection with no way for the skydio team remotely enable the wifi again when you come back home to USA.)

3 - The Skydio 2+ has built in GPS and knows where you are and if you are outside USA it will disable the WiFi module (this theory is very plausible because it's an easy way to automate and manage geofencing because theres no need for internet connection just a GPS position, it's very easy i can do this with some raspberry pi modules and some switches and programming...)

Regardless witch all of the 3 theories are true, all of them shares the same obscure principle that is making me sick:
THIS IS NOT a "malfunction" as stated by the Skydio support team, this "issue" was made by design.
they say that european WiFi devices are not compatible with the US 5GHz bands, but my European devices are working ok with the drone without the "Magic Firmware Update" you don't need to be very smart to understand what's going on right?

Thanks for this

I have tried the procedure but doesn't seem to work on my SK2+

Anyone else had luck?

“But, Paolo's pictures show the evidence.”

The only “evidence” the pictures show is the drone is powered on and a Phone that isn’t displaying a SSID starting with SKYDIO. It’s not “proof” of much of anything imo.

It’s been quite awhile since I did the setup and Skydio does not document all the steps but here is what I recall.

After the drone is powered on.

1) You connect a phone or tablet capable of running the Skydio app to the internet and launch the app.
2) You “login” using a valid email address. I used the same one I completed my “purchase” with.
3) Skydio sends a unique code for your drone to that email address.
4) You enter the code into the app
5) You then enter the WiFi SSID and password from your drone (on a sticker on the drone body)
6) The device running the app might disconnect from a wifi router that had it connected to the internet so it can connect to the drones SSID.

If that doesn’t work for any reason I believe the drone won’t connect to anything including the beacon and/or controller as those initial connections happen AFTER the initial setup has completed successfully.

You are now theorizing that the 2+ Beacon doesn’t work in Europe either, just creating more confusion.
I have done the setup procedure correctly. It doesn't take a genius. The setting procedure is subject to the identification of the wifi SSD of the drone. If the phone does not detect the drone's WIFI SSD first, the application and the unique number do not enable the WIFI transmission. The only solution for now is to buy an UNLOCKED US phone. But for now I am not proceeding because I would have to pay customs taxes (as right).

Attachments

• 3EE87912-87E8-4326-95FE-37AD34BCBB76.jpeg
    3EE87912-87E8-4326-95FE-37AD34BCBB76.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 19
I have done the setup procedure correctly. It doesn't take a genius. The setting procedure is subject to the identification of the wifi SSD of the drone. If the phone does not detect the drone's WIFI SSD first, the application and the unique number do not enable the WIFI transmission. The only solution for now is to buy an UNLOCKED US phone. But for now I am not proceeding because I would have to pay customs taxes (as right).

I read the attachment in your post carefully.

In my understanding of this attachment, it means you can try using a US phone but It might not help because it is not about the phone. It is more about whether the country you are allowed to fly the Skydio drone physically or not allowed.

What can be done now is not to update (app and firmware as well), this is a temporary practice.

The real solution still depends on Skydio company.

As stated in the attachment of your post, the only reason for the situation is legality.

In my country, as many of you, we can legally use Skydio 2, which is completely legal; but the current situation is that Skydio is so concerned about legality outside the US that it stops the Wifi when the drone is used outside the US physically.

Whether it is legal or not is very clear, that is the responsibility of the user (not Skydio company). Meanwhile, the law isn't a witch, it's regulated and rational, and we all use Skydio drones legally, so I'm holding out hope that this dark cloud will eventually dissipate.

Let's wait for an update from @skydiopilot9 and keep our hopes up in the meantime.

To @skydiopilot9: please bring our message to Skydio, we are all law-abiding users, we are all using Skydio drones legally where we fly, please tell Skydio that they can rest assured, so please allow us to legally use Skydio drones anywhere in the world.

Last edited:
All of the procedure. I've followed it, but the SSID of the wifi network doesn't show up.
I have an iPhone but I have managed to fake a US GPS position with software, but still doesn't work.

Why do you think it could work with an unlocked US phone?
I suspect the problem is in the drone's GPS. When it powers on and detects its not in the US, it doesn't advertise its wifi. That is why we are not able to do initial set up and that is why I suspect they need to activate with the drone in the US and why they suggest we would need to ship back the drone to them

Reactions: Paolo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES