Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Has anyone gotten Skydio2+ to work in Europe?

skydiopilot9

Reaction score
My brand new Skydio 2+ doesn't show any WIFI SSD. Support seems to think it's because am in the UK but am sceptical. I already have a Skydio 2 and that works fine here. But the 2+, none of my devices can see the WIFI SSD. It's starting to become a brand new piece of plastic on the shelf.. help!

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
E72FF24F-C687-4DDC-B249-59006CF59E8C.jpeg9E4014F2-9688-4836-9941-577EBCD1718E.jpeg

The only difference between the 2 and 2+ is they eliminated the 2.4-2.483 band in the 2+

If that 2.4 band is the only one supported on whatever your devices are then you wouldn’t “see” the 5Ghz signal.

My brand new Skydio 2+ doesn't show any WIFI SSD. Support seems to think it's because am in the UK but am sceptical. I already have a Skydio 2 and that works fine here. But the 2+, none of my devices can see the WIFI SSD. It's starting to become a brand new piece of plastic on the shelf.. help!
Hi, i’m in Italy. I have the same issue with my new Skydio2+. My iPhone 8plus don’t see the WIFI SSD.

Attachments

• 49A2D7AE-DAD7-480A-A6A1-5CD2411AC08A.jpeg
    49A2D7AE-DAD7-480A-A6A1-5CD2411AC08A.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 15
  • 21F11DA5-96C8-404A-B883-05FE9D970A13.jpeg
    21F11DA5-96C8-404A-B883-05FE9D970A13.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 51F8B005-4A2C-4C45-B854-D78E4C8C6DE6.jpeg
    51F8B005-4A2C-4C45-B854-D78E4C8C6DE6.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 14
I think there is/was an issue in Europe where certain 5Ghz frequencies conflicted with some radar installations so those “bands” are reserved for that radar.

A lot of manufactures have dropped 2.4Ghz frequencies as that group is highly susceptible to multiple devices competing causing a lot of transmission collisions and a relatively low bandwidth compared to 5Ghz transmissions. For example in the past I’ve lost Wi-Fi signal on a laptop when my microwave was on.

Skydio officially only sells to USA and Canada customers and as such builds their devices to work in that environment.

If your device does NOT communicate on the specific frequencies designed into the Skydio 2+ (see above ONLY 5Ghz and no 2.4Ghz) then you won’t “see” the Wi-Fi SSID of the drone.

I don’t know if IPhone 8+ in Europe is different than the product sold in the USA or Canada

I think there are people on this forum that live in Europe and are successfully using the Skydio 2 but it supports 2.4Ghz.

I already have a Skydio 2 and that one works fine as it supports 2.4GHz.I sold it so a professional filmd maker and ordered a Skydio 2+ which arrived last week and that one isn't working at all. Can't find the SSD. Am glad someone else confirms my suspicion. Am now stuck with a brand new Skydio 2+ sitting pretty on my shelf as a useless brick. This is frustrating.

I already have a Skydio 2 and that one works fine as it supports 2.4GHz.I sold it so a professional filmd maker and ordered a Skydio 2+ which arrived last week and that one isn't working at all. Can't find the SSD. Am glad someone else confirms my suspicion. Am now stuck with a brand new Skydio 2+ sitting pretty on my shelf as a useless brick. This is frustrating.
To be clear I don’t know for a fact that the Skydio 2+ does NOT work in Europe but it seems your “devices”are not compatible. It should work if you used a Beacon and/or a controller, IPad etc that used a compatible wifi band.

This is their statement about where they sell to but you already knew that right.

98A408A0-9C95-4DE4-BDDA-09F2EE9C1E3E.jpeg
Skydio also offers a 30 day money back deal at least they did for the Skydio 2; but you would have to cover shipping cost to return. You contact support and ask for a RMA number, once you get that, ship and once they have it back and confirm no damage they refund the $

Last edited:
I have a beacon & controller but can't seem to sync it. It seems the Skydio needs to do it's first setup first before those modes can work. So is this a device specific issue? What if I get a U.S phone?. I could live with that but need a way to test theory first.

indeed my skydio 2 works perfectly, that is frustrating that the 2+ is not working

I have a beacon & controller but can't seem to sync it. It seems the Skydio needs to do it's first setup first before those modes can work. So is this a device specific issue? What if I get a U.S phone?. I could live with that but need a way to test theory first.
what about an android device ?

I went to a phone store, gave him £5 and we tested about 20 phones, Andriod & IOS, none worked. I also tested 3 of my own Andriod phones, a Surface Book laptop, a desktop. Nothing..

Is it possible to import a (US) phone/tablet to Europe? If yes, it could be the last way to go.

Is it possible to import a (US) phone/tablet to Europe? If yes, it could be the last way to go.
That's what am trying to do but before I do that, I need to confirm it will actually work. I've joined a Facebook group asking a bunch of Americans if anyone of them have a U.S purchased phone and if I can drive to theirs for a quick test. It reads like a dodgy scam lol but hopefully someone will be kind enough to let me pop to their road for a quick SSD test.

That's what am trying to do but before I do that, I need to confirm it will actually work. I've joined a Facebook group asking a bunch of Americans if anyone of them have a U.S purchased phone and if I can drive to theirs for a quick test. It reads like a dodgy scam lol but hopefully someone will be kind enough to let me pop to their road for a quick SSD test.

Not only mobile phone but also any kinds of Wifi device can help identify this.

Try schools and universities, there are foreign students.

HI. I am in Ireland, and the drone works no issue here, I was also all over France, Andorra and Spain in late 2021 and it worked without issue.

HI. I am in Ireland, and the drone works no issue here, I was also all over France, Andorra and Spain in late 2021 and it worked without issue.

OP's Skydio 2 is also ok.
It is his new 2+ having the issue.

OP's Skydio 2 is also ok.
It is his new 2+ having the issue.
Same probleme here. I'm in Europe. Just got the drone. I'm not able to connect the beacon to the drone either...the beacon is not able to find the wifi.
Has anyone spoken to support? The 5GHZ frequency is within the bands used in Europe, so maybe they could fix this with firmware

Same probleme here. I'm in Europe. Just got the drone. I'm not able to connect the beacon to the drone either...the beacon is not able to find the wifi.
Has anyone spoken to support? The 5GHZ frequency is within the bands used in Europe, so maybe they could fix this with firmware
You said:
“The 5GHZ frequency is within the bands used in Europe”

This is from the Skydio 2+ manual
81077CBB-60A9-45E2-BE9C-3C586993CED6.jpeg

Can you provide your source of info where those two specific 5Ghz bands are allowed in Europe?

If the beacon can't find Skydio 2+, it's a big problem.

Try going to the basement, it's a place without any wifi interference and there is no GPS signal, either.

Do a test there, power up the Skydio 2+ and Beacon 2+, and if they're functional, you can connect them in the basement and at least this helps verify the issue.

If the beacon can't find Skydio 2+, it's a big problem.

Try going to the basement, it's a place without any wifi interference and there is no GPS signal, either.

Do a test there, power up the Skydio 2+ and Beacon 2+, and if they're functional, you can connect them in the basement and at least this helps verify the issue.
I believe the drone has to complete the initial “setup” of the app where Skydio sends the “code” to your email BEFORE it will connect to any device. I had forgotten that when I suggested using a beacon or controller might get it going. My bad if that caused any confusion.

33293F80-ACCB-400F-8897-C27C0712EA07.jpeg

The drone may not even start to broadcast its SSID before that SETUP step is done.

In any event I don’t think going to the basement would make any difference. 🤨

I believe the drone has to complete the initial “setup” of the app where Skydio sends the “code” to your email BEFORE it will connect to any device. I had forgotten that when I suggested using a beacon or controller might get it going. My bad if that caused any confusion.

View attachment 704

The drone may not even start to broadcast its SSID before that SETUP step is done.

In any event I don’t think going to the basement would make any difference. 🤨

I posted the suggestion is because of two reasons:

(1) (Device) Is this an issue that is related to Europe's mobile phone and Skydio 2+ connectivity?

Beacon 2+ is sold with Skydio 2+ and the two devices should not have any connectivity issue.

If Beacon 2+ can't find Skydio 2+, and the setup is done properly. Then, there will be some other reasons causing the issue.

So, if the beacon can't find Skydio 2+ drone, it is not simple Wifi hardware supportive issue that is happened with Europe's specific Wifi regulation. - So, doing a test in a place without any other Wifi interference will help identify the issue.

(2) (New design - firmware layer) is this an issue that is related to Skydio's new (unknown) policy for where to operate its drone.

Someone mentioned the issue might be caused by the design. He thinks when Skydio 2+ drone finds itself outside of the US, it stops its Wifi function.

In this case, going to the basement or a place without any wifi and GPS interference to do the test (setup) will help identify the issue.

Here is the link:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup