Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Height Floor Issues

Reaction score
Recently shot a video of the skydio following me, at one point though, despite height floor being set to the 8 foot minimum, it flew down to deck level, and past a child. Does anyone know of these issues, or if I am doing something wrong? Video footage attached. It occurs at 2m56s in.

yeah saw that. i don't know exactly how it works but what i do when people come around (or cars) is raise the drone a little higher so when it's doing it thing, it doesn't have to dip so low to avoid the obstacle. i guess the argument is do you crash or break the floor threshold? or maybe the drone should hover if it cannot pass safely. the s2 is good but it's not perfect so i try to keep that in mind. also i think the latest sw update made some changes to the floor.

Recently shot a video of the skydio following me, at one point though, despite height floor being set to the 8 foot minimum, it flew down to deck level, and past a child. Does anyone know of these issues, or if I am doing something wrong? Video footage attached. It occurs at 2m56s in.
If you look at the manual or Skydio website you will read, "The Height Floor setting is enabled by default on all Skydio 2/2+ drones. While this setting is enabled, Skydio will attempt to remain at least 8 ft (2.4 m) above the tracked subject" The key word being "attempt". [Read More]

Obstacle avoidance will take precedence over all other Skydio's functions.

If you pause the video, you will notice that your drone was avoiding the tree branches on the left and in doing so, flew low. This needs to be taken into consideration while flying around/near other people while in tracking mode.

1676768695334.png

It looks to me the S2 avoided the tree and used the opening below, why it did not choose to go above is interesting.
I like how the Kid yielded though.
Nice Vid and Thank you for Sharing.

Like GS fields indicated, the drone will break the height floor if it see that A the floor area is clear and it's other avoidance options are blocked which is typical in a forest. Don't count on that 8' being set in stone. I would also suggest when you're approaching a vehicle or person slow way down and approach carefully. If the drone hasn't cataloged the person or vehicle (circle around the person in the app screen) which is hasn't for people or vehicles that you are approaching so it wont see them and surprisingly will fly straight into a person, car or bicyclist. It's almost like a glitch in the OA but skydio warns about it in the manual. I didn't pay that much attention until the drone almost flew into my buddies head. He avoided the drone, it didn't avoid him. That's happened more then once and its rarely an issue with the height floor on except in scenarios like yours where there's obstacles that cause it to drop below the 8'.

BTW, you can loose the drone pretty easily on the moto, esp in the forest. The challenge as you'll discover is pacing your riding at or close to the drone's max speed for the environment which will be significantly slower around trees. Get it out in more open terrain and the pace picks up appreciably.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup