Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

How "NOT" to fly the Skydio 2

skydioconvert

Reaction score
Here's a good example of how lucky (see 1st minute of video) this guy was flying his S2..... NOTHING beats the S2 when it comes to obstacle avoidance but this pilot quickly used up all of his nine lives on what looked to be a routine flight.

Take away: Telephone and Power line towers should be a RED FLAG that your flying in areas the S2 is not designed to fly.

True
Skydio should include LARGE printed warnings, and examples for people what NOT todo in the box.
Including DO NOT FLY OVER WATER no matter what the CEO claims.

Reactions: scrampker
He should buy a lottery ticket. Seems to have an abundance of luck.
He does have some visible clues as to intelligence based on the gear he’s wearing.

Reactions: Ridefreak
Yikes. After well over a year with Skydio I've been amazed how many power lines are out there. Never realized it till I tried to actively avoid shooting places they are at.

Yes, please only fly your drone where there are no trees, no outcroppings, no cables, never over a body of water, and not in public. Just don't fly your S2 if there are any obstacles. The OA works great if there are absolutely no obstacles. Also, when you are flying the S2, please engage in only slow speed activities.

Here is the first response by Skydio when I uploaded my log files after my crash.

I wanted to reach out and let you know that we have been able to view the flight logs. This particular collision is not something that would be considered within warranty and we won't be able to offer a replacement. We do call out thin leafless branches in our Skydio Safety and Operating Guide as well as avoiding flying over public areas. You were doing great until you turned into the neighborhood, as there were lots of trees with no leaves and in an attempt to catch up to you around a turn the Skydio 2 had to fly over another person's property and collided with thin branches. In the future, it's best to avoid situations like that all together. Had you been travelling a bit slower the Skydio 2 might have been able to stay closer to you and avoid the thin branches, but again public areas increase the risk of damage or worse injury

Last edited:
Here's a good example of how lucky (see 1st minute of video) this guy was flying his S2..... NOTHING beats the S2 when it comes to obstacle avoidance but this pilot quickly used up all of his nine lives on what looked to be a routine flight.

Take away: Telephone and Power line towers should be a RED FLAG that your flying in areas the S2 is not designed to fly.

I a fly in an urban environment and am flying close to, under and over power, phone and cable lines all the time. I trust God to keep my Skydio2on point and he apparently does. I just filmed a major police scene and never had to worry about lines.

Yikes. After well over a year with Skydio I've been amazed how many power lines are out there. Never realized it till I tried to actively avoid shooting places they are at.
I fly in an urban environment. wires everywhere. one of the selling points of skdyio2, it does actually see most of them, the bigger ones anyway. I don't let wires intimidate me. I don't deliberately go near them, I do try to steer away from them until I get above them, but I have flown right by wires and the skydio has avoided them.

I fly in an urban environment. wires everywhere. one of the selling points of skdyio2, it does actually see most of them, the bigger ones anyway. I don't let wires intimidate me. I don't deliberately go near them, I do try to steer away from them until I get above them, but I have flown right by wires and the skydio has avoided them.
As Long as you will not blame Skydio when it goes down , do whatever you want.
You can be lucky only so long ...

Just curious what your flying background is?

It avoids power wires really well right up until it doesn't.

Haaaahahaha, that's right, same with water :)
I will argue one thing, I've taken it through a few places with really thin branches at "walking speed".

Hitting those will just make a noise and the drone will be able to recover but I can totally see hitting a thin branch at 36MPH being a death sentence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spad