Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

How to fix battery not charging issue

superR

Reaction score
Hi I personally have many issue with the battery NOT charging using the dual charger, and want to share my solution.

The symptom is battery light turns up and then goes off after plugged it into the charger.

solution is plug the battery to the skydio itself and then plug the stock charger into the skydio directly for a few second until you see the battery led light flashing for 10 second, after that then you can unplug and use the dual charger..

this fixes for me every time but i found the problem re-occurred every so often, it seems if i am not using the battery for long time, it started happening..

anyway its a bug hopefully Skydio can fix it. and resetting the battery (hold button for 40 seconds) does not fix the problem for me.

I've had the same issue last week for the first time, after about 2 weeks of not using the batteries. I just plugged the battery to skydio and powered it on and off again. After that I could charge it through dual charger as usual.

I don't have my charger yet, I just ordered it last night. My issue is after not using my drone for 2 months, I decided to charge these batteries last night while attached to the drone and with USB C cable it will not charge. This used to work before and I even tried different cables. Also the app notice that drone is currently attached to a USB C cable and the battery is about 40%.

Last edited:
Hi I personally have many issue with the battery NOT charging using the dual charger, and want to share my solution.

The symptom is battery light turns up and then goes off after plugged it into the charger.

solution is plug the battery to the skydio itself and then plug the stock charger into the skydio directly for a few second until you see the battery led light flashing for 10 second, after that then you can unplug and use the dual charger..

this fixes for me every time but i found the problem re-occurred every so often, it seems if i am not using the battery for long time, it started happening..

anyway its a bug hopefully Skydio can fix it. and resetting the battery (hold button for 40 seconds) does not fix the problem for me.

It happened to me today.

I attached two batteries to the dual charger and only one of the two is charging.

The one which is charging has more remaining battery capacity.

I will check if the other one will start to charge later.

(Update)

Well, the other one is now charging and I can see the LED is flashing.

Now, both batteries are charging simultaneously.

It's weird, I've noticed that and it can be random sometimes in how it charges but ultimately it seems to charge them both up at the end.

It's weird, I've noticed that and it can be random sometimes in how it charges but ultimately it seems to charge them both up at the end.

It seems to have something about Idle state, a new practice to keep the battery alive, but I'm not sure.

If there is new information, it will be updated here.

Now, they are all fully charged and the bird is ready for the next flight. :cool:

The total time of this charging is less than 2 hours, it is quite fast, compared to DJI's smaller battery, it is even faster.

Attachments

• Image 124.png
    Image 124.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 5
I've had the same issue last week for the first time, after about 2 weeks of not using the batteries. I just plugged the battery to skydio and powered it on and off again. After that I could charge it through dual charger as usual.
Same issue for me

I wonder if the charger doesn’t have enough current to charge both from low SOC. So it does the bulk one at a time. But when it can handle load of both it will. When one or both is tapering.

I wonder if the charger doesn’t have enough current to charge both from low SOC. So it does the bulk one at a time. But when it can handle load of both it will. When one or both is tapering.

The Skydio's dual charger and its wall adapter (65W) are quite powerful. It is much better than DJI's.

My experience would be that the situation is more about the idle state of the battery.

The Skydio's dual charger and its wall adapter (65W) are quite powerful. It is much better than DJI's.

My experience would be that the situation is more about the idle state of the battery.
It says right on Skydio site that it requires a 90W wall adapter to charge in Parallel. DJI’s included wall adapter is also 65W with Mavic 3 and normally charges serially.

It says right on Skydio site that it requires a 90W wall adapter to charge in Parallel. DJI’s included wall adapter is also 65W with Mavic 3 and normally charges serially.

The 65W wall adapter is capable to charge two batteries simultaneously. It is quite ok.

Using 65W adapter to charge two batteries will take 120 minutes and it will take 60 minutes to charge only one (separately).

Using 90W adapter will charge quicker, it will take 90 minutes to charge two batteries.

For your information:

I don't know Mavic 3's but for DJI Air 2S, it takes 100 minutes to charge one battery and it can not charge all 3 batteries at the same time with the hub.

3 batteries = 300 minutes = 5 hours.... It's a long time!

I can charge DJI Air 2S when I go to sleep before the flight with the hub. When I get up, all 3 batteries are fully charged. In this way, it's ok. But, when you need to use it urgently, it is not so ok.

Last edited:
The 65W wall adapter is capable to charge two batteries simultaneously. It is quite ok.

Using 65W adapter to charge two batteries will take 120 minutes and it will take 60 minutes to charge only one (separately).

Using 90W adapter will charge quicker, it will take 90 minutes to charge two batteries.

For your information:

I don't know Mavic 3's but for DJI Air 2S, it takes 100 minutes to charge one battery and it can not charge all 3 batteries at the same time with the hub.

3 batteries = 300 minutes = 5 hours.... It's a long time!

I can charge DJI Air 2S when I go to sleep before the flight with the hub. When I get up, all 3 batteries are fully charged. In this way, it's ok. But, when you need to use it urgently, it is not so ok.

It says right on the current store description that the Wall Adapter must be greater than 65W to charge in parallel.

Which exactly fits with what you said it's doing in Post #6.

The link above you sent is also consistent. It says the charger can charge in parallel. It gives times for different wattages etc. But it never says what wattage is needed to kick in parallel charging. But the new store description does.

Like I said, if one (or both) of the batteries are high enough SOC (i.e. tapering) on a lower wattage wall adapter it might kick in parallel charging sometimes. Which is probably what you have seen. If both batteries are low SOC and on a 65W Wall Adapter (according to Skydio) it won't charge in Parallel.

The behavior is based on the watts required for the current work and watts available. But I suspect it will always charge in parallel with 90W+ and only sometimes with 65W or less. It probably has enough watts to finish off the first battery (at very low watts) and start the 2nd battery at full watts. But that's not true "Parallel" 1C charging.

Also the problems folks were posting prior to your Post #6 has nothing to do with the issues folks were describing before your post. They were describing issues of not charging at all. Then you jump in with your charging serially (as being a problem, which it wasn't). Then insist it should be charging in parallel with 65W Wall adapter, which it often will not.

Skydio.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridefreak
I've noticed both batteries charging with the included power adaptor but I didn't watch it the entire time so it may have cycled around.

Last time I used my MacBook 87 watt USB-C wall charger on it -- worked great and charged exceptionally quick with no issues within that 90 minute range. I was very impressed.

Ray

Reactions: mswlogo
This is is the one I have works great for charging with the duel charger. Amazon.com
@hazz

I apologize as a “replied” to your post. My comments below were not intended to be directed at you, but as a separate post. I should have just posted but can’t seem to undo the “reply”

I think the cause of the OP’s issue was the BMS of the battery in question caused it to go into hibernate mode or whatever term you prefer.

There is ongoing “debate” about the positive/negative or nil effects of fast charging “smart” lion batteries.
Attached is a publication regarding larger automobile sized battery systems FYI.

My personal opinion is that the batteries used for the Skydio 2 can certainly handle a “faster” charge safely (assuming they are charged at room temp).
Will the faster charge rate shorten the useable life of the battery who knows.

Battery management is an everyday requirement in our modern lives. 😀

@hazz

I apologize as a “replied” to your post. My comments below were not intended to be directed at you, but as a separate post. I should have just posted but can’t seem to undo the “reply”

I think the cause of the OP’s issue was the BMS of the battery in question caused it to go into hibernate mode or whatever term you prefer.

There is ongoing “debate” about the positive/negative or nil effects of fast charging “smart” lion batteries.
Attached is a publication regarding larger automobile sized battery systems FYI.

My personal opinion is that the batteries used for the Skydio 2 can certainly handle a “faster” charge safely (assuming they are charged at room temp).

No worries.

Reactions: ETdronehome
It says right on the current store description that the Wall Adapter must be greater than 65W to charge in parallel.

Which exactly fits with what you said it's doing in Post #6.

The link above you sent is also consistent. It says the charger can charge in parallel. It gives times for different wattages etc. But it never says what wattage is needed to kick in parallel charging. But the new store description does.

Like I said, if one (or both) of the batteries are high enough SOC (i.e. tapering) on a lower wattage wall adapter it might kick in parallel charging sometimes. Which is probably what you have seen. If both batteries are low SOC and on a 65W Wall Adapter (according to Skydio) it won't charge in Parallel.

The behavior is based on the watts required for the current work and watts available. But I suspect it will always charge in parallel with 90W+ and only sometimes with 65W or less. It probably has enough watts to finish off the first battery (at very low watts) and start the 2nd battery at full watts. But that's not true "Parallel" 1C charging.

Also the problems folks were posting prior to your Post #6 has nothing to do with the issues folks were describing before your post. They were describing issues of not charging at all. Then you jump in with your charging serially (as being a problem, which it wasn't). Then insist it should be charging in parallel with 65W Wall adapter, which it often will not.

View attachment 615

In the document you posted, there is nothing mentioned about the idle state, and it is not technical information.

I hope you can distinguish between shop information and technical information.

Your above information is not a technical document and please don't rely on it for technical discussion.

And, please don't question others like this, I don't feel good about it, please understand we are just users but not workers of Skydio.

Information from the shop could be not so accurate. What it says about "greater than" can also mean "greater and equal".

I am really not a Skydio's worker and I may not always have so much time to explain to you so patiently.

Last edited:
@hazz

The difference between 65W and 90W isn't charging the batteries (the cells) that much faster, it's just that it can better handle more parallel charging with the larger Wall Adapter. With the 65W it charges two batteries in 120 minutes (serially). With 90W it charges two batteries in 90 minutes (in parallel). And it maxes out at 100W (50W each battery). They are all around 1C charge rate which isn't terribly high. They don't state how fast 1 battery charges with the 90W. Which I suspect is still 45 minutes, tops. Now if it starts reaching 30 minutes or below (which you have enough watts to do) now you're getting into "fast" charging.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup