Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Is it worth repairing or Buy a New One

CarbonRacing

Reaction score
So... I finally crashed my Skydio 2. I was flying in Lake Havasu, AZ and it flew into a Ocotillo Plant with a branch smaller then 1/2".

I am wondering if its worth it to get the damaged unit repaired or just purchase a new one for 999.00 with the included battery, charger, case and props?

Let me know you thoughts, or experience and costs with the repair department if you crashed your Skydio 2.

Crash is on YouTube at

Thanks

Del

Sorry about your S2..... finally saw it come down in at about 1:11 in your video.

Can't offer advice about your question but am curious why you'd fly with the Height Floor disabled/changed???

So... I finally crashed my Skydio 2. I was flying in Lake Havasu, AZ and it flew into a Ocotillo Plant with a branch smaller then 1/2".

I am wondering if its worth it to get the damaged unit repaired or just purchase a new one for 999.00 with the included battery, charger, case and props?

Let me know you thoughts, or experience and costs with the repair department if you crashed your Skydio 2.

Crash is on YouTube at

Thanks

Del
Sorry man, that sucks. It looks like it was trying to flip back over before it hit.

Reactions: CarbonRacing
Sorry about your S2..... finally saw it come down in at about 1:11 in your video.

Can't offer advice about your question but am curious why you'd fly with the Height Floor disabled/changed???

I typically fly with the flight floor disabled, I understood it tracked better that way. I will certainly be testing out the replacement Skydio 2 with it enabled. Thanks Del

I would fix it, if not you might be waiting in line awhile for a new one.

With broken gimbal you will be paying for refurbished drone, that will set you back $850
Seen that over and over as reported by people and in this video as well.

I have no idea if correct, but I see posts of people saying they ordered and got drone in about a week, and most of that time was shipping.

Saw somewhere else a post that made it sound like skydio had caught up on its backlog of orders.

If you can afford it buy the one that's ready to ship then ask how much you can get the other fixed for, You can sell a refirb much easier then one with a damaged gimbal.

Carbon Racing...you've posted the video online. if you haven't already done so, send the video and flightlogs to skydio and claim "warranty". i dont see what you did wrong. usually, the S2 gains altitude as speeds >. let them tell you it was "your" fault. maybe you can get a discounted repair or better....have read online of a few getting NEW S2 units when sending in heavily damaged units for repair. (i.e. gimbal hanging, broken arms, etc.) their pricing seems to be all over the place. they are NOT using manpower right now to diagnose and fix individual units. too expensive on BOTH sides. skydio is getting caught up with orders and continuing to improve order ---> delivery cycle times. when cycle times get < 30 days, i expect them to start repairing broken S2 units and costs to consumer will rise again. Hope the state of California doesnt COVID shutdown their Production again... :rolleyes: im from Phoenix also. think there are at least 5 + of us in the VALLEY now. Ridefreak seems to have high speed tracking DOWN on this bird. id follow his lead....expensive flight ! i wish you luck and hope you are treated well. Love how you added the Skydio logos at end of the video. Chin Up ! it's only $$$ since you're in Havasu, im ready for "SKYDIO MEETS GIRLS GONE WILD" lolol ? i'll settle for some cool Boating videos tho...

Last edited:
Just get a new one. The price difference is minimal - and you get the complete starter package for a little more. At least that's what I would do.

I was under the impression, existing owners who send in the drone to Skydio for repair will get an estimate for costs incurred. At that time if a decision is made to buy a new one instead - they'll ship a new replacement starter package without waiting / so get to skip the line. I haven't personally gone through this, though if you search YouTube for people's experience with Skydio repairs - they'll say the same thing - skip the line if opt for new replacement.

I have no idea if correct, but I see posts of people saying they ordered and got drone in about a week, and most of that time was shipping.

Saw somewhere else a post that made it sound like skydio had caught up on its backlog of orders.
Skydio sent an email last week - wait times are down to 60 days & continue to decrease. See attached screenshot of email.

I had mine fixed because I didn't want to wait. Sometimes it seems wonky now that I got it back. I swear it didn't disconnect as much, range was better, tracking was better but could just be that I'm pushing the limits with it more than I did previously. But yeah, the waiting made it not seem worth it to me. Here's my long winded story: My repair story : A cautionary tale | Skydio Drone Community (skydiopilots.com)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup