Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Miracle, new update (15.10.5) available :) 10-14-2021

I had two disconnects from the beacon and my S2 constantly switched into GPS mode while tracking today. The new update is a step backwards for me.
Switching to GPS mode was part of what my drone was doing. See my post about GPS issues and maybe post up the details of your incidents including how far out you were running it. I typically have had mine just a little past the 2nd preprogrammed distance via - key on beacon. I don't think distance was my issue, cuz some of what mine did was right after launch.

If we get enough people sharing whats happening, maybe we can determine whats going wrong.

Around the second distance mark is where mine typically switch to GPS. Not sure if that's distance based or if it's the subject's size seen by the camera.

I'm of the opinion the more it tracks you the better it does, yeah sounds crazy I know. The update seemed to make it start over making it act very much like it was when I first got it. :)

When the new drone and beacon shows up my strategy is the first day flying I'm going to ride around in an open area and get in 3 or 4 batteries worth of easy tracking at lower speeds. If I'm right that should make for a good start.

I haven't flown mine since the update, except for a couple minutes in the back yard - nothing more than a straight up to 30' and down with the controller.
Most of the issues I'm seeing here regarding the issues since the update seem to involve the beacon not playing right with the rest of the components - is that correct? Or is it more or less an all around step backward regardless of the components used?
I ask because I haven't used my beacon yet - it's been the controller for me since the beginning. I'm hoping to get some flying time in after Thanksgiving, so it'd be nice to think I won't have to go through the process of the drone re-learning it's skills...
Is this just wishful thinking on my part? 😏

I haven't flown mine since the update, except for a couple minutes in the back yard - nothing more than a straight up to 30' and down with the controller.
Most of the issues I'm seeing here regarding the issues since the update seem to involve the beacon not playing right with the rest of the components - is that correct? Or is it more or less an all around step backward regardless of the components used?
I ask because I haven't used my beacon yet - it's been the controller for me since the beginning. I'm hoping to get some flying time in after Thanksgiving, so it'd be nice to think I won't have to go through the process of the drone re-learning it's skills...
Is this just wishful thinking on my part? 😏
That's pretty much what I've experienced, the update improved controller performance and seemed to degrade the beacon tracking. I'd suggest getting out in a large safe area and play with the beacon, wanding and letting it track you while getting comfortable using the device. You'll be able to see if everything is working right and it'll make a difference when you need it to perform. I believe it gets better the more flight time it has as I mentioned, if that's the case it makes sense to go easy at first.

Reactions: kgilbertsen
Switching to GPS mode was part of what my drone was doing. See my post about GPS issues and maybe post up the details of your incidents including how far out you were running it. I typically have had mine just a little past the 2nd preprogrammed distance via - key on beacon. I don't think distance was my issue, cuz some of what mine did was right after launch.

If we get enough people sharing whats happening, maybe we can determine whats going wrong.
I was mostly on the first or second distance setting out when the problems occurred. Conditions were ideal and the Jeep was high contrast. I've been on this trail many times before and have not seen this behavior. It would lose visual and immediately say GPS tracking I would hear a beep and my S2 would start to rise like it was returning to home and the app said lost beacon. Within a few seconds the beacon would regain contact and I would fly it back.

Oddly enough like ridefreak said the more I flew it the less problem I had. By the end of the second battery I wasn't seeing any disconnects. Also if I went out to the 3rd or 4th distance setting the problem was less pronounced. Definitely something goofy going on with the new firmware.

New SD2 incomming. Any idea if they are are shipping with this new firmware?

Sooo after I chased up support about the erratic gimbal instability, it turns out there was something funky with my Beacon!

They sent me a replacement - to Aus, (which is good as I am not an enterprise customer either!)

Took if for first flights yesterday and I noticed there is a new Beacon option/mode when you scroll all the way to the right… RTH?!

Looking at the latest release notes I can’t see anything about it, nor is it mentioned in the Beacon User Guide. Did I miss the memo?

Anyways for over water flying now this an *** saving function haha! And about time too.

I’m going to test out the effective range, one flight today I was 270m away from the launch point when I initiated RTH

Sooo after I chased up support about the erratic gimbal instability, it turns out there was something funky with my Beacon!

They sent me a replacement - to Aus, (which is good as I am not an enterprise customer either!)

Took if for first flights yesterday and I noticed there is a new Beacon option/mode when you scroll all the way to the right… RTH?!

Looking at the latest release notes I can’t see anything about it, nor is it mentioned in the Beacon User Guide. Did I miss the memo?

Anyways for over water flying now this an *** saving function haha! And about time too.

I’m going to test out the effective range, one flight today I was 270m away from the launch point when I initiated RTH
I sent my drone back for replacement recently and they contacted me a few days later and requested I send them the beacon because they planned to replace it. Issues I had with the beacon were almost non existent before the crash and also on the 2 flights after. I wonder what's going on?

Reactions: Lifeisfun

Strange that it 's not in the firmware I have no such option.

I sent my drone back for replacement recently and they contacted me a few days later and requested I send them the beacon because they planned to replace it. Issues I had with the beacon were almost non existent before the crash and also on the 2 flights after. I wonder what's going on?
That's weird

Mine was shipped with latest 15 whatever firmware.
Well crap. I have one incoming too. I guess I get to deal with these problems from the get-go.

I guess there's no way to install an earlier revision, even if you could find it.

So, has there been only this 1 software update since the release of Skydio 2?

Does the drone/Skydio force it on you? I've learned from have a Windows PCs and Apple phones not to just update for the sake of updating. If it ain't broke....You know... the thing.

Last edited:
After my update I can only fly it with the Beacon. It tells my I have the incorrect pass word on the wifi. Any ideas how I can change it?

This is not fun. I've spent 4 hours trying to get it to fly.

After my update I can only fly it with the Beacon. It tells my I have the incorrect pass word on the wifi. Any ideas how I can change it?

This is not fun. I've spent 4 hours trying to get it to fly.
I had the same thing happen yesterday setting up the new drone. Can't say if this is exactly what you're seeing but I used the QR code to initially setup the Wifi first time, before opening the App, probably should have waited till the app directed me to the WiFi but I didn't. It connected fine, the WiFi connection (android) listed it as SkyDio2XX (via camera). Never saw that before (via camera) but it connected and right after the final reboot I changed the Wifi and it wouldn't reconnect nor would it let me delete that WiFi (via camera) connection despite not being connected at the time. After multiple tries eventually the app attempted to connect and the android came back with incorrect password. At that point I typed in the new (changed) password and it's worked correctly ever since. I'm not sure how to force that to happen (asking for the password) but it solved the issue. I went in the list of known connections on the phone and found the SDxxx and tried to delete it as that would force the phone to learn the connection like its never connected to the SD before but I was unsuccessful. To me it sounds like you may be dealing with the same issue.

Also if you do a search on here there's a WiFi reset someone posted, that will put the Drone PW back to the original which should work, sounds like right now the drone and the app (or phone) have different passwords.

Also if you do a search on here there's a WiFi reset someone posted, that will put the Drone PW back to the original which should work, sounds like right now the drone and the app (or phone) have different passwords.
I’m not sure who posted this originally. I just screen captured it for when I might need it. I personally have never used it so don’t know what will happen. Proceed at your own risk as I don’t want to get sued 😜

13FCB90D-627A-4C67-B6E8-E0084231895C.jpeg

I had the same thing happen yesterday setting up the new drone. Can't say if this is exactly what you're seeing but I used the QR code to initially setup the Wifi first time, before opening the App, probably should have waited till the app directed me to the WiFi but I didn't. It connected fine, the WiFi connection (android) listed it as SkyDio2XX (via camera). Never saw that before (via camera) but it connected and right after the final reboot I changed the Wifi and it wouldn't reconnect nor would it let me delete that WiFi (via camera) connection despite not being connected at the time. After multiple tries eventually the app attempted to connect and the android came back with incorrect password. At that point I typed in the new (changed) password and it's worked correctly ever since. I'm not sure how to force that to happen (asking for the password) but it solved the issue. I went in the list of known connections on the phone and found the SDxxx and tried to delete it as that would force the phone to learn the connection like its never connected to the SD before but I was unsuccessful. To me it sounds like you may be dealing with the same issue.
Any idea how I can reset my password?

Any idea how I can reset my password?
The steps above put it back to the password on the sticker attached to the drone from what I've been told. My issue was I had trouble getting the phone to ask or allow me to change it's PW associated with that WiFi connection to the drone. I eventually would have started Googling "how to delete a WiFi network's password android"

The password reset worked. Thank you guys!!!!!!! I'm at the start of a 9 day boat adventure from Destin, FL to Dauphin Island, AL and back and really wanted to get some good film and now I will.

Thanks!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES