Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

My Skydio videos

Thanks Doug, the helmet cam is a GoPro H9B, it's got very good stabilization out of the box, as for the coloring, I' don't have anything configured to adjust automatically like a LUT, it's so variable, sometime the two cams look pretty similar then other times they are quite a bit different, too many variables with changing positions related to the sun's direction, I just try to fix them up a little bit in post.

IRT the beacon, my beacon is always attached to a strap that's attached to my backpack strap, sometimes I was lazy and let it hang instead of sliding it into a pocket on the backpack strap, I was seeing the occasional gimbal shake but never associated the two because the shake was so random. During one of the editing sessions I could see what was causing it, since then I secure it in it's pocket and the gimbal shake went away.

Thanks for watching.

Thanks Doug, the helmet cam is a GoPro H9B, it's got very good stabilization out of the box, as for the coloring, I' don't have anything configured to adjust automatically like a LUT, it's so variable, sometime the two cams look pretty similar then other times they are quite a bit different, too many variables with changing positions related to the sun's direction, I just try to fix them up a little bit in post.

IRT the beacon, my beacon is always attached to a strap that's attached to my backpack strap, sometimes I was lazy and let it hang instead of sliding it into a pocket on the backpack strap, I was seeing the occasional gimbal shake but never associated the two because the shake was so random. During one of the editing sessions I could see what was causing it, since then I secure it in it's pocket and the gimbal shake went away.

Thanks for watching.
Hey Thanks for the info... the stabilization is outstanding on bike, I was assuming a small gimbal unit vs electronic.

Totally understand the color issue... going from a horizontal with little sky to 30-80degree down with lot of sky, clouds, sun direction. Presents two different color scales.... was curious (mainly due to my own similar on bicycle) if you had played with adjusting say... similar rocks or ground and adjusting aerial to close match. I hadn't yet... was more curious if there was a practice that worked. Not critical, more like questions to the experienced one.

Great advice on the Beacon... I've not considered that at all. On hills or sprints, a Rider (cyclist) is off saddle moving extreme from side to side... that may help to move Beacon to frame mount or something to prevent sliding around inside jersey pocket.

Great videos, and it's clear you spend & have massive riding experience on the narrow trails. Have you traveled north into dense tree hills for different challenges? Curious how S2 would handle narrower path channels.

Ride On!

Hey Thanks for the info... the stabilization is outstanding on bike, I was assuming a small gimbal unit vs electronic.

Totally understand the color issue... going from a horizontal with little sky to 30-80degree down with lot of sky, clouds, sun direction. Presents two different color scales.... was curious (mainly due to my own similar on bicycle) if you had played with adjusting say... similar rocks or ground and adjusting aerial to close match. I hadn't yet... was more curious if there was a practice that worked. Not critical, more like questions to the experienced one.

Great advice on the Beacon... I've not considered that at all. On hills or sprints, a Rider (cyclist) is off saddle moving extreme from side to side... that may help to move Beacon to frame mount or something to prevent sliding around inside jersey pocket.

Great videos, and it's clear you spend & have massive riding experience on the narrow trails. Have you traveled north into dense tree hills for different challenges? Curious how S2 would handle narrower path channels.

Ride On!
That's the electronic stabilization in the Hero 9. With the algorithms they're using these days in action cams, mechanical stabilization is pointless.

The skydio won't really follow a motorcycle through a forest, at least at a pace a motorcycle would normally rides, if it would you'd see allot of SD2 vids dong that on my channel, I really like that kind of riding. Unfortunately when there's allot of obstructions it slows down, often you to backtrack and reconnect. It often wants to fly over the trees when the trees get dense, when that happens it's easy for it to loose sight of the subject, plus it increases the risk when there's speed involved. After you fly one for awhile you develop an idea how fast it can follow depending on the environment and you'll adjust the speed accordingly often starting out slower the inscreasing the speed as you ride. I did want to say it will follow down a one lane road through the forest, not single track though.

I just got an e-bike and I'll be making some SD2 vids, I suspect the drone will do much better in closer-in forests due to the reduced speed of the bicycle plus it'll be easy to hear when it stops following.

Reactions: dougcjohn
Very true... the speed on Moto is a major factor. The biggest challenge for S2 I've seen on cycle are power lines crossing the roads. At sub-15 mph, it handles the wires great... above 25mph, I've been impressed by a few close call sudden lift movement to miss a wire. Hasn't contacted wires yet, but it's had a few near misses! The way it suddenly lifts 3-5" to miss a wire is probably more impressive than the optical tracking to me.

Your video link on the narrow road in trees was a great example of how well it handles trees as long as it's flight path has spacial room between the trees. Good Video, enjoyed it!

Have fun with the eBike... they'll spoil ya! I have a Fat 5" home build that will go beyond 85 miles and can provide over 1500watts... great work out if you peddle them as e-wattage supplementing your wattage, not overtaking. I normally meter 100-200W and produce my own 175-400W, (Rider Wattage measured by torque peddles) able to then provide a long ride.

Very true... the speed on Moto is a major factor. The biggest challenge for S2 I've seen on cycle are power lines crossing the roads. At sub-15 mph, it handles the wires great... above 25mph, I've been impressed by a few close call sudden lift movement to miss a wire. Hasn't contacted wires yet, but it's had a few near misses! The way it suddenly lifts 3-5" to miss a wire is probably more impressive than the optical tracking to me.

Your video link on the narrow road in trees was a great example of how well it handles trees as long as it's flight path has spacial room between the trees. Good Video, enjoyed it!

Have fun with the eBike... they'll spoil ya! I have a Fat 5" home build that will go beyond 85 miles and can provide over 1500watts... great work out if you peddle them as e-wattage supplementing your wattage, not overtaking. I normally meter 100-200W and produce my own 175-400W, (Rider Wattage measured by torque peddles) able to then provide a long ride.
Ha, that's cool, I'm building a fatty. 1500W BBSHD with a 52V 20KAH battery, I'm looking forward to riding it in our Desert, The Fat Bikes have a pretty good following here, there's plenty of sand dunes, arroyos and desert trails perfect to ride a FB on, I think it's going to be a new Genre on my channel.

Ha, that's cool, I'm building a fatty. 1500W BBSHD with a 52V 20KAH battery, I'm looking forward to riding it in our Desert, The Fat Bikes have a pretty good following here, there's plenty of sand dunes, arroyos and desert trails perfect to ride a FB on, I think it's going to be a new Genre on my channel.
Ha!… a BBSHD amped up to 1500W, you must have found LunaCycle site. They worked with BaFang years back and made the reconfigured controllers to pump the BaFang BBS motors up to 1500W. Maybe others doing it now too… but if you’re looking for some nice parts, check out LunaCycle.com… he was probably the 1st Pumped up eBike shop.

Had a custom frame bag made for Fatty (Panda Bags); center pak with multiple pockets for gear. Fits a triangle pak nicely with rolled Fat Tube under battery in bottom bag. I run 52v Panasonic 18650, 28AH, Range & Power pak. 2 Paks over 8 yrs old and still going strong... charge them slow.

To visualize triangle… the long side of battery mates with the bikes lower angle frame (crank to head).

Last edited:
I just finished it tonight, I settled for 52V20AH, I test rode it and it runs great, pretty fast. It was a simple install, it took longer to get the wiring nice then to put in the motor. I still need to drop the front sprocket to a 36, it accelerates well but it needs lower gearing for the sand and off road.

I have $1700 into it, much better off road performance then the hub drive fat bikes.

IMG_20220109_184534966-XL.jpg

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
I just finished it tonight, I settled for 52V20AH, I test rode it and it runs great, pretty fast. It was a simple install, it took longer to get the wiring nice then to put in the motor. I still need to drop the front sprocket to a 36, it accelerates well but it needs lower gearing for the sand and off road.

I have $1700 into it, much better off road performance then the hub drive fat bikes.

IMG_20220109_184534966-XL.jpg
Ha! Sweet! Ya even put a shift cut switch on it... great! Saves the chain & Rr cluster! The Bafang may be old tech... but it still pulls better and is a tank for abuse! And it just works and keeps going!

Ya, they build up a lot faster than moto... takes me hours just to change plugs on my ZX12R!

Have a blast on it!
I changed mine over to an odd duck... a fat rodie... wide horn drop bars, road saddle, road cleats, road shift levers... all Fun!

Reactions: Ridefreak
I went out yesterday to test an e-bike I built, while I was out there I did a bit of skydio flying. Dispite trying I couldn't outrun the drone on the bike.

Awesome editing. What's your thoughts and verdict on the bike itself?

Ray
I really like it so far, I can get 40+ mi using pedal assist or about 25~30 riding it like a motorcycle with very little pedaling. It lacks some of the refinements you find on the expensive bikes but it really goes and does well for me. I've got a couple more minor changes to do, mostly with comfort and it should be a nice ride. I like to say the e-bike lets me catch my breath when going uphill. :)

Here's 20 min of SD2 video tracking the Fat bike, not as exciting as my moto vids but it was fun to make and I only hit one tree. Avoidance was excellent as usual, I didn't even worry about it other then to made sure it was still tracking.

Reactions: RiverEagle
Thanks Ray, yes it's following the beacon, if you look close you can see it hanging from one of the backpack straps.

RF are you flying beacon only or are you using a device?
That was with both the beacon and the phone, I did experience some weird behavior right after the first launch. It was like everything position-wise was shifted 100yards to the right and the beacon position controls were operating incorrectly. Both distance (standoff) and tracking orientation. I tried to fly like that for a few min and couldn't get it to track properly so I landed, power cycled everything and started over. From then on (next 3 flights) it operated normally. First time I've seen that behavior.

Reactions: VEGASROBBI
Your thread is bad--very bad.. Just spent WAY too much time watching your videos,lol...

I think you have a similar outlook as me--that outlook of its just as much fun capturing/editing and sharing the time we have outdoors are being outdoors.... Looking forward to opening more options with the new drone along with upgrading my small army of Black Hero 3's to something newer......

Reactions: Ridefreak
Your thread is bad--very bad.. Just spent WAY too much time watching your videos,lol...

I think you have a similar outlook as me--that outlook of its just as much fun capturing/editing and sharing the time we have outdoors are being outdoors.... Looking forward to opening more options with the new drone along with upgrading my small army of Black Hero 3's to something newer......
Thanks Crashman, out riding is one of the most enjoyable things I get to do. Thanks for watching!

This was a cool ride we did Saturday afternoon. Just a couple old guys out having a fun ride. I was able to get a lot of SkyDio video with almost everything being usable. The hardest part was deciding what to use, it's almost 20min now and I could have made it allot longer. Had a couple minor annoyances but the drone did well, I think it's learning :cool:

It's doing better each flight, I flew 4 batteries worth Saturday after doing the update, it got full avoidance testing, subject tracking with significant altitude changes, top speed tracking, etc... I kinda threw everything at it.

Enjoy!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rayrrr