Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

My Skydio videos

Thanks, I'm seeing allot less quirks and minor issues.

The studio is cranked up ?

Another drama free flying day.

Reactions: VEGASROBBI
Did a little flying and riding yesterday.

Reactions: drrags
Yes, good call!

This ride I was testing follow function from a greater standoff distance.

A couple more videos from Sunday.

Found out what happens when you don't hear the battery low warning. The SD stops lowers to about 4" off the ground, drifts around for a min or so then lands where it's at. I was lucky, it drifted near some bushes but didn't hit them. Took a bit to find it but once I started using the "Find The Skydio" function correctly it took me right to the drone.

Reactions: deedeebulldog
Very nice. That looks like fun. Im finding that the Skydio is not suited for the majority of areas that I ride. Way too many people and trees.

A couple more videos from Sunday.

Found out what happens when you don't hear the battery low warning. The SD stops lowers to about 4" off the ground, drifts around for a min or so then lands where it's at. I was lucky, it drifted near some bushes but didn't hit them. Took a bit to find it but once I started using the "Find The Skydio" function correctly it took me right to the drone.
Can you give a brief summary how the "Find the Skydio" function works?.... can only find a brief reference to it in the Skydio 2 Users Guide.

Can you give a brief summary how the "Find the Skydio" function works?.... can only find a brief reference to it in the Skydio 2 Users Guide.
So in the unfortunate instance where you look at the beacon and it says looking for SkyDio, pull out the phone. I'm almost always flying with the beacon but I open up the SD app when I launch and connect it to the beacon. Anyway open up the app under the sprocket icon go to Skydio section, open it up and select Find my Skydio. Supposedly if you open up the app later after the drone's down and connect it to the beacon the location info will be passed to the app. I don't know about that since I haven't tried it. The screen will show 3 icons. A picture of a house, thats the beacon or app's position when it lost contact. There's a blue circle, that's the current position of the phone (you) then there's a small arrow like you'd see on a GPS screen pointing north, that's the drone's last known position and where you want to go. It opens up way zoomed out so you have to move about 100 yards to detect movement on the screen. Zoom in until you can just see both icons on the screen. Then start moving, you'll see the Drone icon move, adjust direction until it's moving towards you. Keep zooming in the closer you get and it will take you right to the drone. Hope that helps.

Reactions: skydioconvert
So in the unfortunate instance where you look at the beacon and it says looking for SkyDio, pull out the phone. I'm almost always flying with the beacon but I open up the SD app when I launch and connect it to the beacon. Anyway open up the app under the sprocket icon go to Skydio section, open it up and select Find my Skydio. Supposedly if you open up the app later after the drone's down and connect it to the beacon the location info will be passed to the app. I don't know about that since I haven't tried it. The screen will show 3 icons. A picture of a house, thats the beacon or app's position when it lost contact. There's a blue circle, that's the current position of the phone (you) then there's a small arrow like you'd see on a GPS screen pointing north, that's the drone's last known position and where you want to go. It opens up way zoomed out so you have to move about 100 yards to detect movement on the screen. Zoom in until you can just see both icons on the screen. Then start moving, you'll see the Drone icon move, adjust direction until it's moving towards you. Keep zooming in the closer you get and it will take you right to the drone. Hope that helps.
Helps a lot, thanks...

P.S. You write well enough that Nicole (at the Skydio flight school) might ask you to help her with future videos. ?

Last edited:
Yes, it was cooler out. Above about 96 degrees out is when I start seeing heating issues. The transition from one battery to another was smooth, I've gotten pretty good at it with practice. I hand catch the drone, turn it off, turn off the beacon, then close the app and turn off wi-fi on the phone. Swap the battery and turn on the drone. Then I turn on the beacon and as soon as it's syncing the GPS turn on WiFi on the phone and connect to the beacon, then open the app and make sure it's ready to fly. Stick the phone in my pocket and tell it to fly on the beacon, while it's starting the Autonomy engine I put my backpack and gloves. By then it's ready to launch, I hit the button to launch and as soon as it takes off I jump on the bike and ride off. With the additional range I don't fly it without the app connected to the beacon. I've spent a couple tense hours looking for the SD2 and with the app open you can go right to the drone if needed. Luckily that's only happened a couple times.
Sounds like you have the process down!

I finally tried to have the drone follow me on dirt bike yesterday. It was a real twisty turn track and it did pretty good...amazing actually, but couldn't stay with me all the time. I was solo and when it lost me, it did return to me...apparently via GPS via the footage...I had no idea what it was doing or what beacon said.

I'm hating the long GPS sync between beacon and S2. Just burning battery. Beacon says 'turn on app for quicker sync'. I tried it once and connected to drone....apparently should have told it not to, but when I turned off phone, GPS was synced...I dunno if coincidence or if phone did something to make it work.

Anyone know what magic turning on phone does when it comes to getting beacon/S2 to gps sync?

Anyone talk to skydio to see if they plan to fix this? I was standing in the open and it took forever.

And is there a reason to leave phone on after everything is sync'd? I'd rather not burn phone battery...my usual tact is phone off when riding.

Thanks!

Sounds like you have the process down!

I finally tried to have the drone follow me on dirt bike yesterday. It was a real twisty turn track and it did pretty good...amazing actually, but couldn't stay with me all the time. I was solo and when it lost me, it did return to me...apparently via GPS via the footage...I had no idea what it was doing or what beacon said.

I'm hating the long GPS sync between beacon and S2. Just burning battery. Beacon says 'turn on app for quicker sync'. I tried it once and connected to drone....apparently should have told it not to, but when I turned off phone, GPS was synced...I dunno if coincidence or if phone did something to make it work.

Anyone know what magic turning on phone does when it comes to getting beacon/S2 to gps sync?

Anyone talk to skydio to see if they plan to fix this? I was standing in the open and it took forever.

And is there a reason to leave phone on after everything is sync'd? I'd rather not burn phone battery...my usual tact is phone off when riding.

Thanks!
It's all about the order you do it, when your ready turn on the drone, then turn on the beacon, once the beacon is connected to the SD2, open up the app, connect your phone's WiFi to the Beacon. It'll sync right up. I always leave the app running when it's flying, phone's in my pocket. Sounds like you were successful with it tracking you, you'll get it down with a little practice.

Reactions: dmac1
It's all about the order you do it, when your ready turn on the drone, then turn on the beacon, once the beacon is connected to the SD2, open up the app, connect your phone's WiFi to the Beacon. It'll sync right up. I always leave the app running when it's flying, phone's in my pocket.
Thank you! Connected right away! Its kinda funny...after a drone you pilot, the S2 feels like an alien at first cuz it does its own thing and my initial reaction is whoa! Now that I'm getting used to it, I'm likin it more and more!

Reactions: Ridefreak
Here's another one of my moto videos, big bike version. With the two of us riding at speed together the drone occasionally would switch to tracking the other rider, I was able to test and practice rehoming the drone to the beacon holder, it works very well. Just push the blue button on the beacon and it will stop following the other person and return to following the beacon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup