Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

New landing pad

LivinLarge

Reaction score
Working on a Skydio 2 landing pad. I have seen some of the case landings where the Skydio slid off the side during landing because the case is so small. I eventually want to be able to land on a raft or kayak in the river, where any mistake would be a disaster. I bought one of those 32" diameter collapsible landing pads to modify it for this purpose. I used MEK to remove the orange H in the center and taped a paper copy of the Skydio logo in the center. The Skydio was able to find it and land easily. Next I tried a larger, 8" copy of the logo. It also worked fine and was recognized from a greater height. I will paint the logo on the landing pad permanently after I decide which size works best..

Reactions: skydioconvert
Working on a Skydio 2 landing pad. I have seen some of the case landings where the Skydio slid off the side during landing because the case is so small. I eventually want to be able to land on a raft or kayak in the river, where any mistake would be a disaster. I bought one of those 32" diameter collapsible landing pads to modify it for this purpose. I used MEK to remove the orange H in the center and taped a paper copy of the Skydio logo in the center. The Skydio was able to find it and land easily. Next I tried a larger, 8" copy of the logo. It also worked fine and was recognized from a greater height. I will paint the logo on the landing pad permanently after I decide which size works best..
Good to know the MEK doesn't degrade the landing pad material .... I've got a similar pad but will probably just attach a blown up size of the Skydio logo using some double sided Velcro tape.

I have tried different sizes from the original 5" to 8" to 11" diameter logos. I was hoping a larger logo would be recognized from a greater height, but my tests seem to show that th Skydio prefers the smaller original logo.

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
I have tried different sizes from the original 5" to 8" to 11" diameter logos. I was hoping a larger logo would be recognized from a greater height, but my tests seem to show that th Skydio prefers the smaller original logo.
the
Nice test.... have to agree with you.... larger logo only got detected at about 20 feet above the target while the smaller logo got detected at the 30-35 foot height.

Not sure if it makes any difference but maybe the large hexagon remaining outside the logo in the large logo landing pad test somehow confused the S2. I'm guessing Skydio's logo finding algorithm may work best when there's less clutter (i.e. no other geometric patterns) near the landing logo.

Is it looking for the symbol or the shape of the case (maybe both)? Just a thought, but you might try flipping over the case and see if it lands.

Nice test.... have to agree with you.... larger logo only got detected at about 20 feet above the target while the smaller logo got detected at the 30-35 foot height.

Not sure if it makes any difference but maybe the large hexagon remaining outside the logo in the large logo landing pad test somehow confused the S2. I'm guessing Skydio's logo finding algorithm may work best when there's less clutter (i.e. no other geometric patterns) near the landing logo.
Definitely have some more testing to do. I find that the large logo works well in the house but she landed a bit off center.

Attachments

• Off center.jpg
    Off center.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: deedeebulldog
Just an assumption I'm not sure you considered, but the software used to case land should be using the size of the logo in the camera to determine it's height from it. At least that's how I would program it. If a larger logo is used, the drone may think it's closer to the pad than it actually is. Which would line up with your observation that it prefers the real size.

Again, just an assumption.

Just an assumption I'm not sure you considered, but the software used to case land should be using the size of the logo in the camera to determine it's height from it. At least that's how I would program it. If a larger logo is used, the drone may think it's closer to the pad than it actually is. Which would line up with your observation that it prefers the real size.

Again, just an assumption.
It does not seem to be using the size to determine height but perhaps it is looking for a certain size based on its height. I wondered if the case was part of the pattern that it looks for. I can test this by using the same size logo I printed and placing it near the actual case to see if the Skydio prefers one over the other. I could also cover up the case so that only the logo is visible and see if that matters. I could also place the large logo on a larger black rectangle.

Looks like several possibilities exist but I'm guessing that placing the case with the logo on it in the middle of a large solid black landing pad will give the best consistent results.

Once that works well, it's probably a good to begin practicing hand catches.... ;)

I made a black cardboard rectangle of the same proportions as the Skydio case but scaled up to match the 8" logo. Will test this compared to the actual case as soon as the rain stops here.

Attachments

• logos.JPG
    logos.JPG
    676 KB · Views: 10
Latest test indicates that the Skydio finds the larger one 3 out of 4 tries.

I am surprised that Skydio doesn't offer their own landing pad with their logo on it. Trying to land on the case just doesn't seem like a sure thing to me. Seems like it would be rather easy for the Skydio to be slightly off center and then just slide off into the dirt, damaging one or more blades.

Reactions: UNIXman
There is a lot that I think they should do. Like expand their production line, make their own controller and make a battery charger that is not $149. A charger should not be more expensive than your battery.

Reactions: Lifeisfun
There is a lot that I think they should do. Like expand their production line, make their own controller and make a battery charger that is not $149. A charger should not be more expensive than your battery.
Just out curiosity what does a Mavic "dual" charger cost?

The Skydio 2 "dual" charger is only $129 if you get the Sports Package.

They are making their own controller for the X2. Would be nice if it would work for the Skydio 2.
It has a lot to like, built in screen, folding hood/stick protector, longer range, and probably longer battery life.

Attachments

• skydio controller.jpg
    skydio controller.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 6
Looks like a nice charger for the Mavic batteries.

After waiting so long for the S2, I'm going to stay with the Skydio 2 Dual Charger to avoid any possible down the road warranty problems,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup