Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Return To Home altitude & obstacle avoidance testing

JEarl

Reaction score
I was testing my new Skydio 2 using its Remote Control. I flew it at about 70' altitude, to a distance about 500' away. When I lowered its altitude for a closer-up shot, it disconnected.

I had never set any "return to home" altitude, so I was a little concerned.

Does the Skydio 2 even have such a setting? Or is it totally dependent on the obstacle-avoidance system to keep from hitting anything on the way back home? If so, what are its limits? How far "around" an object will it go? 1 foot? 100 feet? When will it decide to go OVER an object?

In the video below, I tested the obstacle-avoidance system (a little). My Skydio is only 3 days old, and I really don't want to crash it, but I do want to know what its capabilities are.

https://youtu.be/eh5rf5DpQIg

I would be careful flying low at 500 feet away. And I certainly wouldn’t rely on RTH at this point at all. I believe Skydio is still addressing the RTH issues. The community has already seen a crash involving RTH.

I was testing my new Skydio 2 using its Remote Control. I flew it at about 70' altitude, to a distance about 500' away. When I lowered its altitude for a closer-up shot, it disconnected.

I had never set any "return to home" altitude, so I was a little concerned.

Does the Skydio 2 even have such a setting? Or is it totally dependent on the obstacle-avoidance system to keep from hitting anything on the way back home? If so, what are its limits? How far "around" an object will it go? 1 foot? 100 feet? When will it decide to go OVER an object?

In the video below, I tested the obstacle-avoidance system (a little). My Skydio is only 3 days old, and I really don't want to crash it, but I do want to know what its capabilities are.

I don't think Skydio has actually commented on the RTH altitude settings but I have had mine gain altitude and
other times not. It makes a difference how far away and how high its flying when the RTH is activated.
The RTH has never failed me yet when it loses signal.
The OA is always active on the RTH as any other time.

I've never had an issue with RTH, I was flying yesterday and used RTH, the drone was over a hill and much lower than I was. No way it could get back to me without flying upward before returning. That's exactly what it did and more than just high enough to clear the obstacles, probably 40' above the tree tops. I wasn't aware there was a RTH issue with the sd2. Like leeanj, I've had it RTH directly with no altitude and other times it's flown up then RTH. Every time it's worked as well as I expected it to.

I don't think Skydio has actually commented on the RTH altitude settings but I have had mine gain altitude and
other times not. It makes a difference how far away and how high its flying when the RTH is activated.
The RTH has never failed me yet when it loses signal.
The OA is always active on the RTH as any other time.
Yet, there seems to be no protocol for RTH. I’ve noted on signal loss it flies back in the direction it was facing which is a bit odd. Like you said, sometimes it raises altitude, other times it does not. I’m not comfortable personally with it until Skydio gives us some more info on how the process should work. I think Skydio told Accelerated Heights after his RTH crash that they were looking into settings and parameters, but I could be making that up.

I've had it RTH after disconnect and it worked well. However, I was around 400' high so OA wasn't a factor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup