Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

SD 2 Max SD Card size

Ridefreak

Wiki Editor
Reaction score
I looked around the documentation and couldn't find out what the Max SD card size is, I probably missed it somewhere. Anyone know?

Reactions: EnriqueVega
From the "Getting Started" guide -
"The Skydio 2 requires a UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) or faster microSD card to record 4k video. "
ref: Getting Started with Skydio 2

The Skydio store shows a SanDisk 128GB Extreme microSD

There is no mention of a maximum card size. My recommendation based on my use of a 4k camera recording at the same 100Mb rate in H.264 is that a 128GB card is more than enough to cover 4 battery packs of end to end recording, especially if you choose the H.265 codec. Using smaller cards means you will lose less video should the day ever come when the card should fail.

I saw where the Pro kit comes with a 128G also. I have six 256G cards that I carry for the H8B and it'd be nice to be able to use the same cards in both, that's a first world problem and I'm not going to sweat it . What I noticed with the SD2 is you have to manually go back and delete anything off the card otherwise it eventually fills up. At least when you go to launch it will come back and tell you there's not enough memory space for recording the flight.

I just bought 5 PNYs for $15 ea. We often go on trips where we end up with 100s of GB of data, @ 4K between a GP and a drone I can fill up a laptop HD in a few days. Unfortunately I have to retire my fleet of UHS-1 cards. With the hero 8B and the SD2s high bitrates they're not usable @ 4K.

I received a response from SD; "The largest we use are 256gb. As long as you're using UHS Class 2, the size shouldn't be a limitation. "

I wrote Skydio and received an answer about the card size, they said a 256GB card would work.

They wrote me back and said UHS-2 was a mistake, it requires a UHS-3

Hi all, new here, Skydio 2 owner (ordered within the first 10 minutes of availability and received last week - lucky man I know, and so far, other than the issues below, I’d say it’s amazing).

I bought a 1TB SanDisk Extreme card for it so I wouldn’t have to archive so often (same type as the 128GB that comes in the Pro Kit - 160MB throughput, UHS class 3, etc.) but think I may be experiencing some issues with it so the size might be an issue - the drone seems to recognize the card and I’ve successfully recorded a few flight videos but sometimes the Media screen in the app will not finish syncing (gets stuck), and sometimes I’m getting v17: Camera Issue or V71: SD Media Issue errors at the Calibration stage at drone startup, which I can eventually get rid of through repeated restarts, and I’m wondering if it’s choking on the size of the card trying to reindex every time I start up or something. I’ve sent a report to support on it just this morning so it may be unrelated or a software bug in the first release but FYI.

Hi all, new here, Skydio 2 owner (ordered within the first 10 minutes of availability and received last week - lucky man I know, and so far, other than the issues below, I’d say it’s amazing).

I bought a 1TB SanDisk Extreme card for it so I wouldn’t have to archive so often (same type as the 128GB that comes in the Pro Kit - 160MB throughput, UHS class 3, etc.) but think I may be experiencing some issues with it so the size might be an issue - the drone seems to recognize the card and I’ve successfully recorded a few flight videos but sometimes the Media screen in the app will not finish syncing (gets stuck), and sometimes I’m getting v17: Camera Issue or V71: SD Media Issue errors at the Calibration stage at drone startup, which I can eventually get rid of through repeated restarts, and I’m wondering if it’s choking on the size of the card trying to reindex every time I start up or something. I’ve sent a report to support on it just this morning so it may be unrelated or a software bug in the first release but FYI.
I would be surprised if it supports a 1TB card, does it work ok with a 250GB or smaller card?

I would be surprised if it supports a 1TB card, does it work ok with a 250GB or smaller card?
Well, apparently my issues with various issues and faults are not caused by the 1TB card, I’m still getting the same faults, battery life and other issues with a new 128GB card I bought, so other problems notwithstanding (which I’m hoping will be remedied but waiting on support response), I’m calling the 1TB card supported.

I have a 256 GB sd card with the required speed from Samsung. I am a Linux user and I formatted for a few times in Linux and I always got the `not properly formatted` error for the sd card. When I switch to windows to format it, It started working.

This may help others because at the beginning I thought there is a max size. Because I found that they are using Nvidia Jetson TX2 and the Development kit of TX2 has a max of 128 GB. I thought that is the max limit. But it seems no. Just format it properly in Windows.

What is the best method to format the memoery card using a MAC?
I always format the SD in the device that will be doing the recording, in this case the SD2. Theoretically any device with the proper capability should be able to do it but there's been compatibility issues with other SD devices and it was recommended in those situations to use the recording device to format the card. I've used the mac to delete the videos on the card and re-used it with no issues or reduced capacity so that works also.

I have six 256G cards that I carry for the H8B and it'd be nice to be able to use the same cards in both
Try it and see? worst case scenario is S2 tells you it doesn't recognize the 256G card.
You have nothing to lose and a world of experiential knowledge to gain. Try it and let us know if the 256G card works.
Thx

Try it and see? worst case scenario is S2 tells you it doesn't recognize the 256G card.
You have nothing to lose and a world of experiential knowledge to gain. Try it and let us know if the 256G card works.
Thx
I decided to stick with the 128G cards in the drone, 256G holds allot of video even at 4K. Since I plan to use this on MC trips where I won't have the option of saving it off to a computer I'd hate to risk that much video to one SD card. If I lost it or damaged the card I'd be out 2 days video. A 128G card lasts me 5 flights@ 4K which is how many batteries I have, I'll carry a separate 128G card for each day.

On and upcoming trip next month I'll be testing out a 65W cig plug charger to recharge the Drone's batteries. I'll be camping off the motorcycle with no AC power. I'm hoping it works ok, the drone and 5 batteries is allot to carry along if I only get to use them once.

I didn't say plan a special trip and risk everything trying it?
it takes less that 10 minutes to put a 256G micro SD card in the drone, snap a battery up to it, open the app and attempt to launch the drone... if you do it slowly.

Right here is where you find out of it'll work; with out actually launching. If for any reason it doesn't play well with a 256G or any size SD card, it will ***** about it and refuse to launch.

Less than 10 no risk no pain minutes to advance mankinds collective experience with these things.
You had one job.
smh

I'll give it a try, for the betterment of mankind.

I'll give it a try, for the betterment of mankind.
So little tip, I picked one of these as cheap backup solution:

You slip in SD card, connect external HD and can auto back up cards with one button press. I only use 64GB cards and like you film in remote locations. I routinely swap out cards during the course of a shoot cause really my worst fear isn't loosing Skydio, it's loosing the footage especially when filming across a long trip. Plus I generally put static cameras and GoPros on my riders so I can easily backup their footage at end of the day. It's a little flaky sometimes but gets the job done once you understand the nuisances (there's an order to putting in the card, power button, wifi connect light, SD light, then hitting SD backup button). Using the app connected to filehub gives you better view into the backup but most the time I just throw card in at end of the day, press the button.

Reactions: Ridefreak

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup