Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio Introduces The New X2 Family of Drones + House Scan

Lifeisfun

Reaction score

Skydio X2. Built for business. Ready for duty.
Skydio X2 is a new family of products that pairs breakthrough autonomy software with a ruggedized airframe with folding arms for easy “pack and go” transportation, a thermal camera, and up to 35 minutes of flight time. X2 is equipped with 6 4k navigation cameras for 360 degree obstacle avoidance and a dual sensor payload that includes 12MP color and 320x256 LWIR sensors. Designed, assembled, and supported in the USA, X2 turns anyone into an expert pilot. It will initially be available in two configurations:

• Skydio X2D, built to meet the Short-Range Reconnaissance (SRR) requirements for the U.S. Army, the X2D is the ultimate solution for military and defense to perform reconnaissance, search and rescue, and security patrol missions.
  • Skydio X2E, optimized for enterprises, first responders, and civilian agencies, the X2E is the ideal solution for situational awareness and inspection of infrastructure such as buildings, bridges, power plants, power stations and railyards. Skydio’s autonomous navigation technology makes it safe to fly at close distance to capture more accurate data than traditional manual drones.

Last edited:
I love how they are artificially limiting who can buy one by marketing it to just "enterprise". All the features consumers wanted skydio 2 to have. But sorry, nope, only enterprise business can buy those features. Gee, thanks skydio.

Smart choices for 2 very different user groups.... US Military and First Responders .... both can now perform worry free missions ideally suited to their unique mission profiles.

Smart choices for 2 very different user groups.... US Military and First Responders .... both can now perform worry free missions ideally suited to their unique mission profiles.
I agree, this new drone appears to be industrial and ruggedized for a different use, inspections and surveillance. Same thing the other drone company's do, helps fund development costs. Hopefully good stuff comes out of it that carries over to their consumer drone.

Amazing! Each of the two front motors has a 3-prop installed, the two rear motors are each 2-prop.

Anyone else notice this?
Update, scratch that just seen all four props are tri-propeller.
Paul

Last edited:
We’re moving towards a single button press to complete complex tasks with minimal pilot skill.

One button press to video a house for a realtor; or, 3D scan a job site, even send into a battlefield or search and rescue.

With Skydio’s OA and AI it can be done. This is the future hopefully they don’t blow it, 5 years from now they may have competition.

Reactions: richinAZ
The indication is that House Scan and 3D scan will be available for Skydio 2, but will they represent core functionality?

Additional charge?

Subscription charge (really, really hope not).

The indication is that House Scan and 3D scan will be available for Skydio 2, but will they represent core functionality?

Additional charge?

Subscription charge (really, really hope not).

Delivered trough Eagleview .... This company has to live also .
Probably trough a subscription charge .

Reactions: Barresam
Delivered trough Eagleview .... This company has to live also .
Probably trough a subscription charge .

Yes, but their product is only marginally cost competitive now. Were it not for the (quite legitimate) China concerns, Skydio's products would not be at all cost competitive for a majority of users.

A reasonably kitted out Skydio 2 costs a minimum of $1600, and for many, higher still. (extra battery, charger, controller, beacon).That's a fair amount more than the DJI solutions.

Skydio needs to add more value to the proposition, and subscription charges are hated for good reason.

Even now, on the fence as to whether to complete my order when the email eventually comes. It will likely depend on the new features and whether they're saddled with massive up-charges. A fully kitted out Mavic Air 2 is about 1/3rd cheaper, and may be less expensive still by the time my Skydio slot opens.

Last edited:
Reactions: OverTwerked
Yes, but their product is only marginally cost competitive now. Were it not for the (quite legitimate) China concerns, Skydio's products would not be at all cost competitive for a majority of users.

A reasonably kitted out Skydio 2 costs a minimum of $1600, and for many, higher still. (extra battery, charger, controller, beacon).That's a fair amount more than the DJI solutions.

Skydio needs to add more value to the proposition, and subscription charges are hated for good reason.

Even now, on the fence as to whether to complete my order when the email eventually comes. It will likely depend on the new features and whether they're saddled with massive up-charges. A fully kitted out Mavic Air 2 is about 1/3rd cheaper, and may be less expensive still by the time my Skydio slot opens.
Does the Mavic Air 2 have the same level of obstacle avoidance (OA) that the S2 does.... Nope.

Even If your a seasoned pilot with an awful lot of flying experience the S2's superior OA gets rid of that pesky "will I screw-up and run into something today" feeling every pilot has.

Piloting an MR and not having to worry about running into anything is a gift that keeps on giving.

Reactions: leenanj
If we're comparing features, there are real trade-offs on both sides.

The Air 2 can fly in the dark and night, Skydio 2 cannot.
The Air 2 has a third more flight time on a single battery.
The Air 2 has a larger, newer, and superior camera sensor.
The Air 2 is currently about a third cheaper. Given the recent price increases in Skydio 2 accessories and the inexorable sales and price drops common to Mavic's, a fully kitted Air 2 may be half or less the price of a fully kitted Skydio 2 by the time a Skydio ordered today is available for delivery.

Skydio isn't burdened with no fly zones, yet.
Skydio has far better autonomy, but many of those investing in a $1,500 drone know how to properly fly one.
Skydio isn't made in China and doesn't make significant use of Chinese components.

The real issue is that Skydio 2 is approaching a year old at this point, and the competition hasn't been standing still.

My concern is that Skydio will devote themselves fully to the enterprise and military market, which could result in the consumer model becoming a dead end.

Portolo, I think you should get a Air 2; I will go with the next step up in technology, the future, and stay with my S2. Hopefully if the new Skydio platform goes consumer I'm in. A few years from now the Air 2 will be a toy.

If we're comparing features, there are real trade-offs on both sides.

The Air 2 can fly in the dark and night, Skydio 2 cannot.
The Air 2 has a third more flight time on a single battery.
The Air 2 has a larger, newer, and superior camera sensor.
The Air 2 is currently about a third cheaper. Given the recent price increases in Skydio 2 accessories and the inexorable sales and price drops common to Mavic's, a fully kitted Air 2 may be half or less the price of a fully kitted Skydio 2 by the time a Skydio ordered today is available for delivery.

Skydio isn't burdened with no fly zones, yet.
Skydio has far better autonomy, but many of those investing in a $1,500 drone know how to properly fly one.
Skydio isn't made in China and doesn't make significant use of Chinese components.

The real issue is that Skydio 2 is approaching a year old at this point, and the competition hasn't been standing still.

My concern is that Skydio will devote themselves fully to the enterprise and military market, which could result in the consumer model becoming a dead end.
Forgot to mention Skydio's far better warranty program, DJI's second rate customer service, all the headaches DJI pilots face regarding no fly zones, and maybe last but least, Skydio's well regarded reputation with the US military....

Note which company got the largest contract.

P.S. I'm sticking with the S2 .... just wish I could buy two (2) when my time in the queue comes up.

Skydio had to have had these new drones in the pipeline for awhile, but instead they decided to give consumers a non folding, poor range drone, that can't fly at night. I mean seriously, consumers have wanted these features since the R1, but instead they decide to sell them to enterprise users? This kind of stuff is exactly why DJI will keep kicking skydio's ***. Playing games with consumers.

Reactions: Jim and Portolo
Skydio had to have had these new drones in the pipeline for awhile, but instead they decided to give consumers a non folding, poor range drone, that can't fly at night. I mean seriously, consumers have wanted these features since the R1, but instead they decide to sell them to enterprise users? This kind of stuff is exactly why DJI will keep kicking skydio's ***. Playing games with consumers.

It's for different purposes ... skydio 2 is a follow me drone you don't need a lot of range for that .
Follow me at night doesn't make a lot of sense either then.
That's why the controller is bought from parrot instead of developing their own controller .
You have to see it as a nice to have but not his main purpose.

Folding was indeed a nice to have but that's evolution first they try to gain experience with a smaller frame for the customer and then go to the enterprise market.

DJI is doing the same thing .... neither phantom or inspire has any evolutions anymore .

I was surprised this morning to be told by Skydio that even if you wanted to spend the extra money, they’re not planning to even make the X2 available to existing non-enterprise customers - it was described as “reserved for larger-scale operations which include Skydio X2 and the new Enterprise Skills.” That kinda feels to me like early Skydio supporters/adopters are getting the finger here. Disappointing.

Reactions: Portolo
I was surprised this morning to be told by Skydio that even if you wanted to spend the extra money, they’re not planning to even make the X2 available to existing non-enterprise customers - it was described as “reserved for larger-scale operations which include Skydio X2 and the new Enterprise Skills.” That kinda feels to me like early Skydio supporters/adopters are getting the finger here. Disappointing.

Agreed.

Won't be surprised if they move fully into the enterprise / goverment market. More revenue at higher margins, and given the lack of viable non-Chinese alternatives, a nearly captive market for them.

Not criticizing the move, it makes a lot of sense for Skydio.

But have to wonder if Skydio will abandon the consumer market. Was already reconsidering my pre-order, even more so now.

Reactions: Jim
I find this post(below) from a long time DJI Phanboy both telling and prophetic. It indicates things are shifting in the market space. I have nothing against DJI; other than their follow mode sucks, and hope them the best, but things are challenging for Chinese FBO's right now. Tension with the the US at the highest levels, trade wars with sanctions and higher prices will take a toll. China with near biblical natural disasters; just this week I heard the US is going after Chinese Tech companies that steal our technology; DJI was on a list to possibly ban.

I think Skydio has the technology everybody wants but how will they implement it? I do see an improved prosumer SD 3 or something in the future but honestly the SD 2 is not tapped out. It has a good camera, good flight time, amazing OA, better distance.... The SD 2 is a software driven drone and as a platform has a lot of life left. Flying at night or shrinking the OA bubble are a software update away. I would like to be a fly on the wall at SD, with DJI facing challenges, the US Military, Enterprise and Consumer demand off the charts they need to utilize the available resources to best advantage. Consumer requests are probably a secondary concern when they are selling as many SD 2's that they can make. Enterprise, Military, Inspection.... is money in the bank. When they can sell one $7K drone instead of seven $1k drones with the required tech support, marketing, packaging... it's clear where their priority should lie. But it's a double edged sword IMO, as the enterprise drone advances technology it will be backwards integrated into the consumer drone. A couple guys whining to fly at night is not a motivating factor in the big picture. My experience is SD went very conservative with OA, with early software as soon and you built up speed the SD 2 would gain a lot of altitude, the OA bubble was huge causing strange flight paths. As the software developed I can see things tighten up, fling lower to the ground and closer to object, flying further away... Remember SD wants to minimize crashes and warranty repair so staying conservative is best for them. We all see these Yahoo's driving 30 MPH over a suspension bridge weaving in and out of support cables and when the SD 2 fails it's all over YT how the technology doesn't work; so it is a compromise for SD what they offer the consumer. I'm blown away every time I fly my S2 and that's saying a lot since I have almost 50 years of RC experience. I remember Adam Bry saying they could unleash things like flying at night or flying lower but for the normal consumer it would add up to more warranty repairs.

The X2 along side the the new Parrot Anafi USA are two of the most important releases in the last 2 years.

DJI have closed to owned the turnkey enterprise and commercial drone market and this has largely been because of their tight integration of hardware and software. Some things set them down this path such as their in-house Lightbridge and then Ocusync link and their integrated camera option.

This put them ahead for a long time however in a short space Skydio and Parrot have released products that not only directly complete with DJI at their best but beat them in many ways.

The consumer space is really not where this is at and Skydio and Parrot have been grabbing real important backing from the US Gov and Military.
The X2 marks a step change and Skydio have just become a very serious player indeed.

This also now gives them a platform to built upon and making larger craft with better payloads is not a problem now.

For the first time in a long time DJI have a massive problem in the US especially. The world has changed, sentiment has changed and we have viable alternative products for SAR and small enterprise.

While there is still nothing for the M200/300 and Inspire 2 markets yet it’s not hard to see some options coming. Also it’s worth noting that smaller and more efficient craft are the buzz right now and not larger ones you can’t even travel with.

The Cine market is not really that big so I don’t see much wanting to compete with the I2 but I really can see a larger X series from Skydio next year with zoom and higher resolution thermal.

This is a shift for sure and it’s going going to grow.

Best to let the couple of poor misguided souls just continue thinking like they do.... just means we all get our S2's that much quicker.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup