Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Small-ish Android Tablet?

DrKnome

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a small-ish Android tablet (bigger than a phone, but not so huge it imbalances the controller) that they have successfully used with the Skydio 2 controller?

Others may have seen my thread where my Samsung Tab A7 just won't talk to the controller, I'm looking for something of similar size, any brand. I have a Tab S3 but that is much too big. Any recommendations appreciated. I want a dedicated device to use with the Skydio (not my phone) but preferably with a somewhat larger screen, but also balancing the ergonomics of the controller (so not too big). All suggestions appreciated!

Can anyone recommend a small-ish Android tablet (bigger than a phone, but not so huge it imbalances the controller) that they have successfully used with the Skydio 2 controller?

Others may have seen my thread where my Samsung Tab A7 just won't talk to the controller, I'm looking for something of similar size, any brand. I have a Tab S3 but that is much too big. Any recommendations appreciated. I want a dedicated device to use with the Skydio (not my phone) but preferably with a somewhat larger screen, but also balancing the ergonomics of the controller (so not too big). All suggestions appreciated!
I have the TAB A and it works fine. I love the 8 inch screen

I have the TAB A and it works fine. I love the 8 inch screen
Can you clarify "Works?"

1. Do you have the Tab A7 Lite (model T220)

2. My problem is specifically when using it in coordination with the handheld controller. So you are saying you have it working fine when connected to the controller? If so I'd love to compare notes.

I also have a Tab A 8. Works great, not really unbalanced with my home made holder.

Attachments

• resize001.jpg
    resize001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 6
  • resize002.jpg
    resize002.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 7
  • resize003.jpg
    resize003.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 6
  • resize004.jpg
    resize004.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Samsung Tab A7 just won't talk to the controller

The real question is has Skydio tested ANY Android devices with USB-C with the controller?
They seem to be designed to be exclusively compatible with Apple products.

I spoke with Skydio about it when I had an Android phone that wouldn't work. The problem is that unlike Apple, every Android is not necessarily the same. There are so many different manufacturers that they couldn't possibly test them all. For instance my Kyocera Duraforce Pro works. I was going to use the previous model to fly with but, it wouldn't work. I bought a tablet specifically because it used USB C and it wouldn't work. Thats when I bought the TAB 8, Skydio support did say it would work.

I spoke with Skydio about it when I had an Android phone that wouldn't work. The problem is that unlike Apple, every Android is not necessarily the same. There are so many different manufacturers that they couldn't possibly test them all. For instance my Kyocera Duraforce Pro works. I was going to use the previous model to fly with but, it wouldn't work. I bought a tablet specifically because it used USB C and it wouldn't work. That's when I bought the TAB 8, Skydio support did say it would work.
The U in USB means Universal. USB is s'pose to be an industry wide standard agreed upon by a body of engineers throughout industry.
If these Asian Cowboys wanna go off ranch and off script they need to maintain an industry accessible repository of all their deviant deviations so other manufacturers can make compatible devices and integrations with all of this hardship and suffering.

The U in USB means Universal. USB is s'pose to be an industry wide standard agreed upon by a body of engineers throughout industry.
If these Asian Cowboys wanna go off ranch and off script they need to maintain an industry accessible repository of all their deviant deviations so other manufacturers can make compatible devices and integrations without all of this hardship and suffering.

It isn't the USB that's the problem, it's the Android. It's not the same in all devices. Little bits are different in each device.

New Skydio 2+ pilot here, just got it a couple of weeks ago. Quickly discovered my 2017 Android phone would connect to drone, but not controller. Not wanting a new phone, I decided to get a tablet that would be dedicated more or less to flying the drone. I found this and other threads very helpful in choosing the tablet and tablet adapter. I ended up ordering the Parrot adapter that's the same as what's sold in the Skydio Pro kit. The tablet I chose was Samsung Tab S6 Lite, $299 plus tax from Walmart. It paired effortlessly to drone and controller, and test flights were 100% successful. I didn't test range limits of the controller, but I did fly it way further out using the controller, as compared to flying with my phone. The Tab S6 has a smaller screen than the Tab A8, and supposedly faster processor. Hope this helps someone!

Am I able to have the ability to connect to either my phone (as I am now doing) OR a tablet?

I guess I want to be sure that if I try to connect a tablet and am successful, that I'm not eliminating my ability to use the phone again.

Can I switch between the tablet and phone from one flight to the next if I wanted??

In the process of finding the device I wanted to use, I switched to different phone and tablet devices three times. Each time, you do have to pair the new device, so for sure it is possible to switch, and I don't think you'd have to re-pair going back to a previous device, but I didn't try that.

I will say this - once you fly with the larger screen on the tablet, you'll be a lot less likely to use the phone ever again. At least that was true for me. I found the phone screen size to be limiting. The tablet is MUCH better, from my perspective. The tablet is larger, so it's a bit less portable and less convenient, but well worth the effort in my opinion.

I realized I should also point out - while this tread was begun in the Skydio 2 forum, I posted here because it pertained to tablets that would fit the adapter. As a new user, I'm flying Skydio 2+, for whatever difference that makes. I don't think that affects pairing to the controller, but it might affect the range difference between phone and controller as the 2+ has the folding antennae.

One other note, the Samsung Tab S6 Lite I bought came with Android 10, but performed an automatic update to Android 12 within the first 6 hours since being turned on for the first time. This had no effect on connectivity to the controller, and it flies just the same as before.

Reactions: JoeydDetroit
Well, I too am liking the idea of a bigger screen. I've got an old Samsung tablet running Android 9 that I'd like to try, but being able to re-pair with my phone without issue if the tablet doesn't play nice is what I am hoping to learn. Not being too tech savvy, I'd like to get an idea of what i might run into... Thanks

New Skydio 2+ pilot here, just got it a couple of weeks ago. Quickly discovered my 2017 Android phone would connect to drone, but not controller. Not wanting a new phone, I decided to get a tablet that would be dedicated more or less to flying the drone. I found this and other threads very helpful in choosing the tablet and tablet adapter. I ended up ordering the Parrot adapter that's the same as what's sold in the Skydio Pro kit. The tablet I chose was Samsung Tab S6 Lite, $299 plus tax from Walmart. It paired effortlessly to drone and controller, and test flights were 100% successful. I didn't test range limits of the controller, but I did fly it way further out using the controller, as compared to flying with my phone. The Tab S6 has a smaller screen than the Tab A8, and supposedly faster processor. Hope this helps someone!
What exactly is "the Parrot adapter that's the same as what's sold in the Skydio Pro kit."?

What exactly is "the Parrot adapter that's the same as what's sold in the Skydio Pro kit."?

I should also add - the one from Parrot linked above is still on back order. I will probably cancel that order. I ordered one from Lifthor and it arrived yesterday:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup