Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

(Solved) Skydio 2 still has serious connection issues with the latest 15.11 firmware

I don’t see how in this video that the starting of the cable cam caused the disconnect. Maybe I’m missing something.

At the beginning of the video your signal strength “radar” icon was as low as it gets (a dot with occasionally one curved line) and the video feed seemed very pixelated. Both solid indications you are are on the brink of a disconnect.

After flying like that a bit THEN you selected cable cam.

Yes you were not far away but you were having a problem BEFORE you selected an option that Skydio warns you not to pick if your using beacon and phone.

I fail to understand what you are trying to prove and have Skydio acknowledge is a problem????

1. I've done careful tests many times and also updated that Cable skill is ok to run with the combination of Beacon + Phone operation mode.

2. It is NOT about disconnection or weak signal only. It is also about the unexpected and that's what I want to highlight.

Timeline / Event
0:00 - 0:46 / Manual mode and far distance test <-- This is for creating the baseline of the test.
0:46 / Go back and start cable skill and set "A" point (It is the far point)
0:59 / Pull back and set the "B" point (It is the near point)
(It forced screen rotation to portrait)
1:03 / Cable was executed and it flew to "A" (from near point to far point)
( Until now, it was ok )
1:05~1:06 / The screen started stopping and then the connection was just broken suddenly and repeatly.

As you can see in the incident process. It was ok at the far point but broke the connection in near point. And, it broke so suddenly. How could possible this is normal!!

By the way, In the test, at first, I did a long-range flight and I flew it to about 120M. I did that is to made sure the test is within a safe range.

3. Please don't mention the "pixelated" to me or question me like so.

How I can know it before I own it?

In Skydio's official technical document, it suppose to be able to fly to 2KM with beacon operation!

It is now even not close to 20% of the range!!

4. Hey... I don't know what Skydio's image in your mind. But for me, it is a US company.

Since that, it supposed to be
(1) Creditable
(2) Integrity
(3) High quality
(4) Innovation

I posted the video is for Skydio's inspection.

That also means I am planning to purchase next-gen Skydio but not the same situation!

If it is a car, with the standard of the automobile industry, the kind of product quality has already been recalled.

Image 167.png

Attachments

• Image 167.png
    Image 167.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
That's too bad about the farm. We need 'em more than ever. I have fond memories from my childhood days of hanging out at my Grandpa's farm back in the day.

Ray
I am glad you have been able to at least fully document the issue. Are you working with Skydio support?

Thank you my friends for your kind care.

I have yet to hear back from Skydio for more than 1 week, but I will pray and believe that this is a company that will improve and innovate.

1. I've done careful tests many times and also updated that Cable skill is ok to run with the combination of Beacon + Phone operation mode.

2. It is NOT about disconnection or weak signal only. It is also about the unexpected and that's what I want to highlight.

Timeline / Event
0:00 - 0:46 / Manual mode and far distance test <-- This is for creating the baseline of the test.
0:46 / Go back and start cable skill and set "A" point (It is the far point)
0:59 / Pull back and set the "B" point (It is the near point)
(It forced screen rotation to portrait)
1:03 / Cable was executed and it flew to "A" (from near point to far point)
( Until now, it was ok )
1:05~1:06 / The screen started stopping and then the connection was just broken suddenly and repeatly.

As you can see in the incident process. It was ok at the far point but broke the connection in near point. And, it broke so suddenly. How could possible this is normal!!

By the way, In the test, at first, I did a long-range flight and I flew it to about 120M. I did that is to made sure the test is within a safe range.

3. Please don't mention the "pixelated" to me or question me like so.

How I can know it before I own it?

In Skydio's official technical document, it suppose to be able to fly to 2KM with beacon operation!

It is now even not close to 20% of the range!!

4. Hey... I don't know what Skydio's image in your mind. But for me, it is a US company.

Since that, it supposed to be
(1) Creditable
(2) Integrity
(3) High quality
(4) Innovation

I posted the video is for Skydio's inspection.

That also means I am planning to purchase next-gen Skydio but not the same situation!

If it is a car, with the standard of the automobile industry, the kind of product quality has already been recalled.

View attachment 633
You seem offended - wasn't my intent.

Let me try again to explain MY confusion over what you are posting.

I watched your screen recording video again and made some notes for reference.

At the start of the video and up to about 35 sec you are about 75-50m away and 52-40m elevation, gradually getting closer to where the launch point was. You were operating the drone in Manual mode steering-controlling with the phone.

During this entire period your connection signal strength was minimal. The little radar symbol just below the battery level indicator showed only a dot or briefly one curved bar radiating out from it. Full strength signal is the dot and 3 curved lines.

This is BEFORE you switched skills to Cable Cam and experienced the disconnects.

Given that and the distance the drone was from the launch point and you remained near that point with the phone and beacon for the entire flight it would appear to me that there is a fundamental problem with your drone - beacon - phone connection and/or there is something in the area that is producing an interference signal. Being at maximum 73m distant and 52m up the beacon AND phone should give you better signal strength than you are seeing imho. As you mention even the phone alone (in SKydio's ideal circumstances) is rated at 200m and the beacon at 1,500m so the combo of them should be able to produce a strong signal at the distances in the screen recording and what appears to be open area.

This minimal signal strength for sure is an issue - whether it is unique to your setup or a broader problem due to firmware level remains to be seen. That in my opinion is the "issue" you should be working on with Skydio support.

The fact that you experienced a disconnect when using cable cam isn't surprising as you were on the brink of a disconnect before you selected that skill.

The fact that Skydio documents caution the pilot that only the skills available to the beacon should be used in phone-beacon combo. The fact that cable cam or Keyframe are NOT included in that list but you insist on testing them and encountering "issues" is (again just my opinion) not Skydios fault.

You seem offended - wasn't my intent.

Let me try again to explain MY confusion over what you are posting.

I watched your screen recording video again and made some notes for reference.

At the start of the video and up to about 35 sec you are about 75-50m away and 52-40m elevation, gradually getting closer to where the launch point was. You were operating the drone in Manual mode steering-controlling with the phone.

During this entire period your connection signal strength was minimal. The little radar symbol just below the battery level indicator showed only a dot or briefly one curved bar radiating out from it. Full strength signal is the dot and 3 curved lines.

This is BEFORE you switched skills to Cable Cam and experienced the disconnects.

Given that and the distance the drone was from the launch point and you remained near that point with the phone and beacon for the entire flight it would appear to me that there is a fundamental problem with your drone - beacon - phone connection and/or there is something in the area that is producing an interference signal. Being at maximum 73m distant and 52m up the beacon AND phone should give you better signal strength than you are seeing imho. As you mention even the phone alone (in SKydio's ideal circumstances) is rated at 200m and the beacon at 1,500m so the combo of them should be able to produce a strong signal at the distances in the screen recording and what appears to be open area.

This minimal signal strength for sure is an issue - whether it is unique to your setup or a broader problem due to firmware level remains to be seen. That in my opinion is the "issue" you should be working on with Skydio support.

The fact that you experienced a disconnect when using cable cam isn't surprising as you were on the brink of a disconnect before you selected that skill.

The fact that Skydio documents caution the pilot that only the skills available to the beacon should be used in phone-beacon combo. The fact that cable cam or Keyframe are NOT included in that list but you insist on testing them and encountering "issues" is (again just my opinion) not Skydios fault.

My dear friend,

I feel that we have different opinions and I appreciate your different perspectives and sharing.

I will continue the tests and will make it better and much clear. (And, workaround, I wish I can)

Apart from that, I don't have an additional opinion to share currently.

Thanks with best regards.

Last edited:
I'm with sky cyclist on this. There is a problem when using the phone and becan together. Where, when, why, how.. . doesn't really matter. I'm experiencing disconnects 15 ft away when using the phone app and beacon together. With the beacon only I have no problem whatsoever. I believe sky cyclist and I are experiencing a similar problem while others are not. If I get a chance I will post some video of my disconnects using the phone and beacon.

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
I'm with sky cyclist on this. There is a problem when using the phone and becan together. Where, when, why, how.. . doesn't really matter. I'm experiencing disconnects 15 ft away when using the phone app and beacon together. With the beacon only I have no problem whatsoever. I believe sky cyclist and I are experiencing a similar problem while others are not. If I get a chance I will post some video of my disconnects using the phone and beacon.

Thank you, my friends,

I have received a reply from Skydio's technical support that the problem is due to electromagnetic interference.

On the day of the event, it was at an RC park where I was doing basic flying practice. About 800 feet behind me, there was a Fixed-Wing UAV operating at the same time, and I think my operation was interferenced by its electromagnetic signal.

I'd also like to share my own learnings or workarounds here.

This information may not totally help you but I wish it could still help partially.

1. I adjusted the RTH waiting time, I learned to adjust the different times and it helped.

2. Aware of this issue will happen (invisible electromagnetic waves) helps. I also start to try some wifi strength monitor apps, too.

My own problem has been completely solved by now.

But, I will continue to pay attention to the topic with my limited efforts.

Thanks again and all the best.

Image 176.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RiverEagle
Glad they were able to get to the reason here. It is good advice from Skydio to seek out clear skies and clear airways. Along a similar line, I had a DJI Mini 2 and a DJI Mini SE operated by my son flying at the same time. We noticed that each time the Mini SE turned on and connected that the Mini 2 would lose connection to the controller. So yeah, interference is real and can be real annoying!

Thank you, my friends,

I have received a reply from Skydio's technical support that the problem is due to electromagnetic interference.

On the day of the event, it was at an RC park where I was doing basic flying practice. About 800 feet behind me, there was a Fixed-Wing UAV operating at the same time, and I think my operation was interferenced by its electromagnetic signal.

I'd also like to share my own learnings or workarounds here.

This information may not totally help you but I wish it could still help partially.

1. I adjusted the RTH waiting time, I learned to adjust the different times and it helped.

2. Aware of this issue will happen (invisible electromagnetic waves) helps. I also start to try some wifi strength monitor apps, too.

My own problem has been completely solved by now.

But, I will continue to pay attention to the topic with my limited efforts.

Thanks again and all the best.

View attachment 634
Isn’t that exactly what @ETdronehome said? Sure looks it to me.

The problem certainly may be interference but in my situation I do not believe it’s from other RC aircraft. I fly in the middle of the desert where there is no interference.

I’m more inclined to believe it’s some type of self-inflicted Interference.

The problem certainly may be interference but in my situation I do not believe it’s from other RC aircraft. I fly in the middle of the desert where there is no interference.

Utilizing screen recording might help you figure out a low signal strength situation.

You mention you have an IPad and likely already know this but thought I should post for any other Apple users. I don’t know how to do this on any Android based system other than a Tripltek.

Screen recording wasn’t in Control Centre when I got my IPhone 13 so I had to figure out how to get it there so I could turn it in and off. 5ED4843E-0E4E-4124-8A39-7672E9D0E240.jpeg

Once the icon is in control centre just tap the circle icon and it will start. My first attempts were messy as they came out portrait. Make sure IPad is oriented landscape before you start and the screen recording will display in landscape. I also enable voice recording so I can narrate what I’m doing.

Getting disconnects when you are that close must be more than a bit disconcerting. 😳

You are the first person to discover this phenomenon and bring it (Beacon+Phone) up to remind everyone

And your reply is also simple and on point.

It's not just about interference, it's also Skydio 2 weakness.

It is susceptible to other electromagnetic interference, and this is especially when the Beacon is used in combination with the Phone in operating mode.

These conditions are very clear and fully confirmed.

Regardless of various accidents, all the evidence so far shows that, on the contrary, no one has been able to prove that Skydio has a strong signal linking ability.

Especially with Beacons paired with Phones, I haven't seen anyone come up with actual proof that they're stable and reliable.

And prove my video is wrong, or that mine is just a special case or a replaceable product flaw.

There is no any of that.

However, I have to buy Skydio 2 because it's the last one or two drones that can still be operated with a phone.

According to the need, I have done more in-depth research. Here are what I learn more.

The need is very simple, the lightest and easiest combination for outdoor activities. And, when it is allowed to operate with only phone directly, it will enhance the operation safeft.

That's because it allows one more option to operate the drone anytime with outdoor activities.

(This "anytime" does not mean night operation, but it means that users can completely control the drone when they are cycling, running, climbing, and more with more freedom operation options.)

However, the kinds of operations (solely phone) are gradually being phased out.

The current trend requires that RC must be used for operation. Of course, with a big RC, it would be also safe, but this trend is limiting the freedom to operate drones - no more anytime, no more anywhere.

The last DJI drone that also supports mobile phone operation is the DJI Mavic Air, and that was a few years ago. Now DJI has completely abandoned mobile-phone-only operation mode.

All other drones in my research are all so.

The mode of directly using the mobile phone Wifi as the main RC operation channel, the connection quality of this mode itself is relatively low strength.

When it is a multiple Wifi combination, first connect the Beacon and the drone, and then connect the mobile phone and the Beacon, this combination could make the connection more susceptible to interference.

Such reasoning makes sense.

But knowing it, then?

When VEGASROBBI first posted it, he might have been very lonely (It's my feel), but now at least a few more people are participating in the discussion, and everyone is concerned about it together, and the situation of the problem has become more and more clear.

The situation is further forward than before.

However, all these shared in this thread above are also about the trend of drone operation and development - its degrees of freedom are being tightened and limited.

So, when we can still fly now, just use it more, go out more often, and fly a little bit more.

I am just telling a true story, no debate or arguing.

I feel I am also alone, too.

Knowing the facts is not a pleasant thing and it could be upsetting.

I am sorry if it makes you upset.

But this matter is worth discussing, and always has to be brought up.

Everyone can express their opinions and strive to fight for their own reasonable rights and needs.

Last edited:
Sky Cyclist, I don't think the problem has been clearly identified. Many are thinking it's simply a weak signal disconnect like getting a hit on the old 72 MHz systems, it's not like that.

For one I seem to have less issues the further out I get. Second I'm losing optical tracking 10 ft away from a vehicle under perfect conditions, perfect contrast, no sun in the lens... then when I switch to beacon only all those issues disappear.

My gut feeling is there some conflict between the phone or tablet and the beacon, this may be self-inflicted. It also may be the way the S2 interprets control between the tablet and phone. I'm going to try different modes, with my phone there's always incoming calls or text messages and other things that might interfere. With my tablet it's dedicated to my drones, the only app that is active and the only network active is Skydio.

A couple updates back several other guys complained about this scenario I'm surprised that thread disappeared so quickly. For many guys there issue went away but not mine.

I'm sure this will get sorted in time and the fact I can run beacon only means I still get footage. I did purchase a new S2 as a backup I may just fire that one up and give it a shot and see if there's any difference.

It's my opinion this is not a weak signal or interference from the outside, I'm getting disconnects 5 ft away and losing optical tracking constantly. Even when I launch in the motion track mode with strong GPS and reception my S2 will fly maybe 30 40 100 ft away before it stops and regains its composure then comes back. This is definitely a software conflict in my opinion.

I'll try to get some footage up next week of the issue which may show the problem more clearly.

Sky Cyclist, I don't think the problem has been clearly identified. Many are thinking it's simply a weak signal disconnect like getting a hit on the old 72 MHz systems, it's not like that.

For one I seem to have less issues the further out I get. Second I'm losing optical tracking 10 ft away from a vehicle under perfect conditions, perfect contrast, no sun in the lens... then when I switch to beacon only all those issues disappear.

My gut feeling is there some conflict between the phone or tablet and the beacon, this may be self-inflicted. It also may be the way the S2 interprets control between the tablet and phone. I'm going to try different modes, with my phone there's always incoming calls or text messages and other things that might interfere. With my tablet it's dedicated to my drones, the only app that is active and the only network active is Skydio.

A couple updates back several other guys complained about this scenario I'm surprised that thread disappeared so quickly. For many guys there issue went away but not mine.

I'm sure this will get sorted in time and the fact I can run beacon only means I still get footage. I did purchase a new S2 as a backup I may just fire that one up and give it a shot and see if there's any difference.

It's my opinion this is not a weak signal or interference from the outside, I'm getting disconnects 5 ft away and losing optical tracking constantly. Even when I launch in the motion track mode with strong GPS and reception my S2 will fly maybe 30 40 100 ft away before it stops and regains its composure then comes back. This is definitely a software conflict in my opinion.

I'll try to get some footage up next week of the issue which may show the problem more clearly.

Even if it's just a small step, and everyone does a little bit, it can add up to a huge amount.

It is helpful to share the information step by step according to the facts.

I see hope in the latest comments on this video that more and more people are starting to care about it.

Reactions: atlanta1213

Just trying to help so wanted to share some thoughts on what has been posted.

It is my understanding that a disconnect on any drone is often preceded by a reduced signal strength - either by “exceeding range” (a highly variable thing - dense urban to wide open flat ground) and/or by some external interference (competing on same freq and channel and/or high power that overrides anything close by)- strong magnetic field, etc.

I’m not saying it’s not a firmware/software glitch but my assumption it would be affecting a lot of users and there would be a lot of noise about it and that doesn’t to seem to be the case here.

You mention that you have issues way out on flat ground with no one around so that logically narrows the band on what is causing the problem.

You mention a vehicle - could there be anything in it that might generate interference? Is the motor running, if not does it have any battery powered device(s) that generate any kind of
signal?

You mention it happens when you are using only the IPad to Beacon to Drone which I think is a very common setup. When you are doing that is there anything else nearby that could be generating a WiFi signal? Like your phone that has been previously connected. IF your phone is nearby and on with wifi on then it would try to connect to the beacon in addition to the IPad.

If none of the above are possible that sort of narrows it down to something in that specific Beacon or maybe S2.

Maybe there is a small batch of beacons that work properly with just it and the S2 but get goofy when some device connects to their specific SSID????

Last edited:
I've just received an update from Skydio - There will be a new update.

======

I would recommend updating your app and drone if possible. This may help with the range issues you're experiencing. Our software team is constantly improving the app and updating drone firmware, so I'd give that a try. I know they just released a new software update (v15.11.39). When you see an update available, go for it!

======

I have not seen it but will report the latest status as soon as possible after get the update.

Reactions: RiverEagle
I know they just released a new software update (v15.11.39). When you see an update available, go for it!

Has anyone seen this new software? I checked with all my Android devices and I'm still at v15.11.36.

I know they just released a new software update (v15.11.39). When you see an update available, go for it!

Has anyone seen this new software? I checked with all my Android devices and I'm still at v15.11.36.

I can't.

Yes, I check and the result is the same as yours. :rolleyes:

They're busy, understandably, but I don't appreciate the way they respond to customer issues requests.

I believe that they will upload the update some of the days but need to wait...

This company is going through some difficulties...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup