Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Trying To Get Some In Town Shots With The Controller

Lon Denard

Reaction score
Went out today and shot some footage downtown. I did some range testers as well but I won't bore you with those.

I sped up all of this footage to some degree because the video feed was breaking up the entire time I was flying. So I ended up flying really slow out of concern. Super boring video, sorry.

On the positive, the footage is decent and the ND filters are really nice! I'm still working on solutions for better range and will share any success, if any on here.

Reactions: Blue Bird
Terrific footage, Skydio is one nice piece of equipment.

That Crane operator is one brave individual, i could never be so gutsy.

thanks for sharing.
Paul

Nice video, that river looks like its almost at flood stage!

I’ve been concerned with the range issue a few Skydio users have expressed, seems you may have countered similar results.

I was thinking of ordering two controllers when my batch 2 is available, modify the second with a different set of antennas same set I used on the Anafi controller. It auctully helps in areas with noise, not so much on range but it sure made video feed much clearer than stock in areas with interference.

im not after range with the Skydio, just want clear video screen feed as I’m flying in areas with inference or with rough mountain terrain. Do a lot of screen record, which is important to me having clear video feed to an iPad screen.

Appreciate you sharing the video,
Paul

I’ve been concerned with the range issue a few Skydio users have expressed, seems you may have countered similar results.

I was thinking of ordering two controllers when my batch 2 is available, modify the second with a different set of antennas same set I used on the Anafi controller. It auctully helps in areas with noise, not so much on range but it sure made video feed much clearer than stock in areas with interference.

im not after range with the Skydio, just want clear video screen feed as I’m flying in areas with inference or with rough mountain terrain. Do a lot of screen record, which is important to me having clear video feed to an iPad screen.

Paul
I would be interested also, I'll take all the range I can get! What about a wifi booster?

I would be interested also, I'll take all the range I can get! What about a wifi booster?
I’m not too familiar with WiFi booster, but have experimented with amplifier boosters with Anafi controller. Wasn’t worth the hassle, extra weight and range wasn’t boosted very much. The antenna mod was good, slightly better than stock. That slight improvement made a difference, especially in areas with inference. Plus, helps getting better reception at distances.

Will definitely look into modifying a second Skydio controller, then compare it against a stock controller.

Enjoy your Skydio
Paul

Paul
What antenna do you use?

Went out today and shot some footage downtown. I did some range testers as well but I won't bore you with those.

I sped up all of this footage to some degree because the video feed was breaking up the entire time I was flying. So I ended up flying really slow out of concern. Super boring video, sorry.

On the positive, the footage is decent and the ND filters are really nice! I'm still working on solutions for better range and will share any success, if any on here.

Nice Lon! Color looks real good! What frame rate were you using?

Nice Lon! Color looks real good! What frame rate were you using?

4k24 always.... Unless I'm planning to slow it down. 200 ISO, 48 fps, ND16. The screen doesn't give you much information as there's no histogram or EV numbers so I kinda did it through experience and guessing. If Skydio wants to get serious about being a Cinema Drone, they'll need to address some of that.

Reactions: Blue Bird
Nice video, that river looks like its almost at flood stage!

There's a lot of flooding around here but it's not unusually bad. I really should get some of that on camera but I'm concerned about range too much. I'm working on that though.

Paul

No problem, Paul. It's not so much "range" but quality of signal. I want to do those cool fly it around cranes and on construction sites... I need to be able to clearly see for around 1000'. I was across the river from that building, maybe 100-200' away and >400' in altitude. We're talking GoPro Karma territory here. I have other drones for the long shots but I need this compass-less drone to get me those metal bridge, crane, steel girder shots that can cause a regular drone fits! It's the whole reason I bought it. I won't do a dozen follow me shots ever... Well, I guess it can follow me on my way to fly one of my other drones! Hahahahaha!

What antenna do you use?
I use different types, but the one on the left is definitely the better set. Reduces noise and improves video feed though out entire flight even in areas with heavy WiFi interference.

The antenna set to the right, are Mavic 2 Pro controller antennas. A slightly improved set over stock, but not enough to justify switching over. Anafi controller reception is auctully good with stock antennas, Hopefully the Skydio controller can get better reception going with a better set of antennas.

I’m kind of in the side lines at the moment, on the second batch and I’m quite not sure anymore if I want to continue getting the Skydio. The hassle of switching over to another set of antennas or even adding on amplifiers, I’m not after distance just want clear video feed in areas with rough mountain terrain or in tropical like settings with thick foliage.

Take care,
Paul

8D124E82-6742-4309-BFF6-B1B71774097D.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup