Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Video editing software

Some aspects of DaVinci Resolve’s free version that may fall short include its inability to work with 10-bit footage. This could pose a problem for certain cameras, such as the Panasonic GH5. You are also limited to a 4K UHD (3840×2160) output that could be a dealbreaker for those filmmakers shooting in DCI 4K (4096 x2160) for cinema.

One of the key differences with the studio version of DaVinci Resolve 17 is its ability to use GPU acceleration, including utilizing multiple GPUs. The free version can only use some GPU acceleration for playback but for rendering it relies on the CPU. This is especially noticeable when you have a high-end GPU. Performance can improve substantially with popular formats like H.264 and H.265 when using GPU encoding and decoding. The use of the GPU is also critical for other features like GPU accelerated Resolve FX and the DaVinci Neural engine.

As mentioned before, the free version of DaVinci Resolve 17 can import footage with a resolution higher than 4K but can only export up to 4K UHD at 60 frames per second. DaVinci Resolve Studio is capable of exporting up to 32K at 120 frames per second.

The studio version can use 10-bit footage and has an expansive range of formats it can play and export, which is important for professional work.

To access the advanced noise removal tools and motion blur or mist effects, it may be worth upgrading to DaVinci Resolve Studio.

High Dynamic Range color grading is supported in DaVinci’s Studio version. The increase in the color data of your image in HDR color grading can add some incredible vibrancy for higher-end projects that need to be Dolby or HDR10+ compliant. The studio version adds HDR scopes that are able to provide detailed information for ST.2084 and HLG images as well as remote grading.

The studio version of Resolve features many more advanced features like scripting and automation, colorspace transform language, workflow integrations plug-ins, 3D audio, etc. Most of these features are aimed at professional work and if that’s what you are doing you will require the studio version.

Are you saying the above is not true? I shoot only 10-bit 4:2:2 DCI video with my Canon cameras. I also do HDR on occasion. I also work with time critical deadlines and depend on GPU acceleration for everything.
it's all in the link. i believe it. but if you are just starting out, you probably won't need all that. however, i think one should buy it and get the speed editor for free....and make out bigly! :)

yeah, if I was only doing drone footage, I could live with free DaVinci Resolve.

but the good cameras all have moved on to 10-bit footage and you really notice the difference between 10-bit and 8-bit especially in the shadows or during shadow or highlight recovery.

that speed editor looks cool. but I use a combo of the keyboard with this:

Surface-Dial-16-1000x750.jpg

I don't use the dial on the screen. To me, that just wastes valuable screen space.

I have been an avid Sony Vegas user for many years--going on 10 years now. I currently run Pro 17 on a dedicated laptop and couldn't be happier with the setup. Vegas is allot like Photoshop in the that it takes quit a bit of time to learn the software but I feel its more powerful for anything I could do.

I have been an avid Sony Vegas user for many years--going on 10 years now. I currently run Pro 17 on a dedicated laptop and couldn't be happier with the setup. Vegas is allot like Photoshop in the that it takes quit a bit of time to learn the software but I feel its more powerful for anything I could do.

Mac user now but I used Sony Vegas a very long time ago (early 2000s) to produce DVDs -- it was great and rather easy to use from what I remember. Glad to know they're still kicking arse with it!

Ray

I've been using Lumafusion on Mac and iPad for ease of use, it's great but will take a look at Resolve again as it's been awhile. It was a bit overwhelming last I checked lol. I do know it is highly regarded.

Ray
Indeed great software and works great on a M1 Mac also

Reactions: RiverEagle
Mac user now but I used Sony Vegas a very long time ago (early 2000s) to produce DVDs -- it was great and rather easy to use from what I remember. Glad to know they're still kicking arse with it!

Ray
Magix bought them out a few years back but they have stayed true with the vegas platform and still a great program....

Reactions: RiverEagle
but the good cameras all have moved on to 10-bit footage and you really notice the difference between 10-bit and 8-bit especially in the shadows or during shadow or highlight recovery.
The free version of Davinci Resolve 17 works fine with 10-bit on the Mac. The Windows version does not for some reason.

This Video below does a great job comparing Davinci, FCP and Adobe.

He uses them all, they are all good.
But his comments on Color convinced me to go with Davinci.

The main reason I bought the paid version is GPU acceleration.

I am currently learning video editing on VideoPad from NCH Software ( free Version ), so I cannot really
comment on it. My goal is to go MAC with one of the software programs mentioned above.

Reactions: somewhereinusa
Some aspects of DaVinci Resolve’s free version that may fall short include its inability to work with 10-bit footage
10-Bit footage edits fine on Mac. Its a limitation for the free version on Windows.

One of the key differences with the studio version of DaVinci Resolve 17 is its ability to use GPU acceleration, including utilizing multiple GPUs. The free version can only use some GPU acceleration for playback but for rendering it relies on the CPU. This is especially noticeable when you have a high-end GPU. Performance can improve substantially with popular formats like H.264 and H.265 when using GPU encoding and decoding.
The free version will render using the integrated GPU on an M1 Mac. It is slower than a dedicated graphics card but not horribly slow.

the free version of DaVinci Resolve 17 can import footage with a resolution higher than 4K but can only export up to 4K UHD at 60 frames per second. DaVinci Resolve Studio is capable of exporting up to 32K at 120 frames per second.
This very true.... Its takes my Air 2s 5.4k footage and outputs at 4K. Not a dealbreaker for me, but a very real reason to spend money on the studio version.

High Dynamic Range color grading is supported in DaVinci’s Studio version. The increase in the color data of your image in HDR color grading can add some incredible vibrancy for higher-end projects that need to be Dolby or HDR10+ compliant.
HDR color grading is available in the free version. The waveform scope can be set to view in 10-bit. I am sure the list of scopes for Studio is more extensive but its enough for my use.

The free DaVinci Mac experience comes closer to the paid studio version than the free Windows version. For me it does just about everything I need. I am always tempted to spend the $300 for the extra features and to support the development of this great program but so far I have held out.

anyone who is hesitant to spend for the paid studio version of dr should take a look at this deal even if you are a beginner with video editing. the speed editor is probably the single best item i purchased in 2021 so getting a free key is a nice bonus.

Reactions: Saladshooter
Magix bought them out a few years back but they have stayed true with the vegas platform and still a great program....
Been using Vegas since 6.0, on 19 now. Magix pisses me off, they toasted quality for a really long time and they really haven't delivered many to die for features since they took it over. I was having massive hang issues for the longest time and had to turn off AVC decoding in order to workaround it. The latest 19 version is way more stable for me though. Finally can make it through a project without a hang 99% of the time. I still have gotten way to good at Ctrl+S though. Almost every edit I hit it out of instinct now.

Been using Vegas since 6.0, on 19 now. Magix pisses me off, they toasted quality for a really long time and they really haven't delivered many to die for features since they took it over. I was having massive hang issues for the longest time and had to turn off AVC decoding in order to workaround it. The latest 19 version is way more stable for me though. Finally can make it through a project without a hang 99% of the time. I still have gotten way to good at Ctrl+S though. Almost every edit I hit it out of instinct now.
Glad to see another die hard user--started with 8 myself I believe.. 2 years ago I bought a dedicated laptop (MSI) that was made for gaming and I can do anything in vegas with zero issues.. I didn't notice anything that I "normally" use when magix purchased them no longer there. Been thinking about upgrading to 19 but been pounding on 16 with not a single issue.. I am still up in the air with Magix music maker but it gets the job done for the music I use in my videos...

10-Bit footage edits fine on Mac. Its a limitation for the free version on Windows.

The free version will render using the integrated GPU on an M1 Mac. It is slower than a dedicated graphics card but not horribly slow.

This very true.... Its takes my Air 2s 5.4k footage and outputs at 4K. Not a dealbreaker for me, but a very real reason to spend money on the studio version.

HDR color grading is available in the free version. The waveform scope can be set to view in 10-bit. I am sure the list of scopes for Studio is more extensive but its enough for my use.

The free DaVinci Mac experience comes closer to the paid studio version than the free Windows version. For me it does just about everything I need. I am always tempted to spend the $300 for the extra features and to support the development of this great program but so far I have held out.
windows users get nvidia. nvidia support on mac is awful to nonexistence. while I love AMD for their CPUs, when it comes to GPUs in the video space, there's no contest as everything works better and faster with CUDA than with AMD's equivalent.

the Mac experience is a nonfactor for a Windows user. I still can't understand how MacOS still doesn't tell you something very basic like how fast you are transferring files.

So I found a glitch in the free version of the Davinci software. After figuring out that I need to have exposure setting set to auto, I had my first successful flight the other day.

Went to import it into Davinci and it wouldn't accept it. I had the video codec in the Skydio software set to shoot in H.265 HEVC. So as long as I'm using Davinci, I guess I'll have to set it back to using the .264 codec.

Was able to find a trial version of a program called EaseFab to make a lossless conversion from my .265 to .264 so I could use the footage, this time. Altho it limited the the original 5 minute video to around 3 minutes of footage.

So I found a glitch in the free version of the Davinci software. After figuring out that I need to have exposure setting set to auto, I had my first successful flight the other day.

Went to import it into Davinci and it wouldn't accept it. I had the video codec in the Skydio software set to shoot in H.265 HEVC. So as long as I'm using Davinci, I guess I'll have to set it back to using the .264 codec.

Was able to find a trial version of a program called EaseFab to make a lossless conversion from my .265 to .264 so I could use the footage, this time. Altho it limited the the original 5 minute video to around 3 minutes of footage.
i believe the paid studio version is well worth the price

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES