Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Video editing software

Aldrone

Reaction score
What kind of software is everyone using to edit videos with windows? Any open source?

Davinci Resolve here too. Lotsa tutorials on the web. A good starter is Goats Eye View. She can teach ya most everything you need to know. Plan to invest some serious time if you arent up to speed on video editing.

DaVinci Resolve is amazingly detailed and powerful for a “free” program. I had a look after seeing the referrals here and WOW!!!!

I’m somewhat puzzled about how they can maintain their current business model. I see that they sell an even more feature rich version - but it would take me a long time to scratch the surface of the free version. a couple of for purpose keyboards and some paid instruction but I just don’t get it. Lucky us I guess! 😀

another davinci resolve. the free version has almost nearly the same features as the paid version especially for the beginner but if you insist of the upgrade, find the deal on the software + free speed editor. everything you (or i) will ever need to know is on yt. there is so so much content there i suggest you find the 5 personalities you like...starting with casey faris. learning dr is also about dealing with the instructor so choose wisely because some of those guys are pretending.

Reactions: RiverEagle
I've been using Lumafusion on Mac and iPad for ease of use, it's great but will take a look at Resolve again as it's been awhile. It was a bit overwhelming last I checked lol. I do know it is highly regarded.

Ray

I've been using Lumafusion on Mac and iPad for ease of use, it's great but will take a look at Resolve again as it's been awhile. It was a bit overwhelming last I checked lol. I do know it is highly regarded.

Ray
Also check out Final Cut Pro for the mac, pretty awesome editing program that's been used for more then a few Hollywood movies. I used to be a windows guy and used some high end windows editing suites for many years. I still am a windows guy but my video work is done on a mac, no plans on changing it.

• Sad
Reactions: dougcjohn
Also check out Final Cut Pro for the mac, pretty awesome editing program that's been used for more then a few Hollywood movies. I used to be a windows guy and used some high end windows editing suites for many years. I still am a windows guy but my video work is done on a mac, no plans on changing it.

Totally forgot about Final Cut Pro. I used it a very long time ago (with one of those kick-arse Newtek Tricasters!). I do recall it being easy to use, will take a gander at it again.

Thanks for the reminder!
Ray

Totally forgot about Final Cut Pro. I used it a very long time ago (with one of those kick-arse Newtek Tricasters!). I do recall it being easy to use, will take a gander at it again.

Thanks for the reminder!
Ray
I bought a keyboard overlay showing all the FCP functions, added a cheap Jog wheel and between that and the Mac's 27" 5K display it's a nice editing suite. I post allot of videos so it's worth it to me, probably not if you don't already have a mac.

I bought a keyboard overlay showing all the FCP functions, added a cheap Jog wheel and between that and the Mac's 27" 5K display it's a nice editing suite. I post allot of videos so it's worth it to me, probably not if you don't already have a mac.

Where did you get the overlay?

Your videos are one of the reasons why I jumped on the Skydio... You should get commission ; )

Thanks again!
Ray

Where did you get the overlay?

Your videos are one of the reasons why I jumped on the Skydio... You should get commission ; )

Thanks again!
Ray
Thanks, I got the stuff on Amazon. Supposedly the I-Movie pgm is pretty capable, I've not used it though but it's free if you drive a mac.
Overlay
Jog Wheel

Thanks for the links! Since my daughter is in college I was able to snag Apple's education App Bundle that included Final Cut Pro. (y)

Ray
That's a nice deal, I wish I was able to take advantage of it. PM me if there's anything I can help you with, I've got my FCP workflow dialed in really well. Well enough that I have more time now to focus on better edits and trying to improve the viewing experience.

I use Adobe Premiere. if i didn't have money, i would use davinci resolve. unfortunately, the best features of davinci resolve are behind the paywall so comparing pay to pay, I'm sticking to Adobe Premiere.

I use Adobe Premiere. if i didn't have money, i would use davinci resolve. unfortunately, the best features of davinci resolve are behind the paywall so comparing pay to pay, I'm sticking to Adobe Premiere.
i believe that's an old myth that continues to endure. there is no crazy advanced features lurking behind a paywall....for 95% of davinci resolve users, you get also all the goodies. it's impossible to tell which videos on yt were created with the stuido version or not. unlike the other sw that milks you monthly or yearly and if you stop paying they cut you off, $300 for dr studio for a lifetime. and if that's still too much, get the amazing speed editor for free if you can find a deal like this still available: Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve 17 Studio with Speed Editor (Activation Card)

pay to pay.

That's a nice deal, I wish I was able to take advantage of it. PM me if there's anything I can help you with, I've got my FCP workflow dialed in really well. Well enough that I have more time now to focus on better edits and trying to improve the viewing experience.

It's very kind of you to offer help, much appreciated. Care to share your FCP workflow?

Ray

P.S. I watched a few quick videos on FCP and am impressed with all the new features, esp. being able to lock/track onto things.

Last edited:
It's very kind of you to offer help, much appreciated. Care to share your FCP workflow?

Ray

P.S. I watched a few quick videos on FCP and am impressed with all the new features, esp. being able to lock/track onto things.

locking and tracking like this:
or like this?

sometimes i wonder if it is helpful to learn as much as you can with multiple software packages, im just not sure if it compounds very well.

i believe that's an old myth that continues to endure. there is no crazy advanced features lurking behind a paywall....for 95% of davinci resolve users, you get also all the goodies. it's impossible to tell which videos on yt were created with the stuido version or not. unlike the other sw that milks you monthly or yearly and if you stop paying they cut you off, $300 for dr studio for a lifetime. and if that's still too much, get the amazing speed editor for free if you can find a deal like this still available: Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve 17 Studio with Speed Editor (Activation Card)

pay to pay.

Some aspects of DaVinci Resolve’s free version that may fall short include its inability to work with 10-bit footage. This could pose a problem for certain cameras, such as the Panasonic GH5. You are also limited to a 4K UHD (3840×2160) output that could be a dealbreaker for those filmmakers shooting in DCI 4K (4096 x2160) for cinema.

One of the key differences with the studio version of DaVinci Resolve 17 is its ability to use GPU acceleration, including utilizing multiple GPUs. The free version can only use some GPU acceleration for playback but for rendering it relies on the CPU. This is especially noticeable when you have a high-end GPU. Performance can improve substantially with popular formats like H.264 and H.265 when using GPU encoding and decoding. The use of the GPU is also critical for other features like GPU accelerated Resolve FX and the DaVinci Neural engine.

As mentioned before, the free version of DaVinci Resolve 17 can import footage with a resolution higher than 4K but can only export up to 4K UHD at 60 frames per second. DaVinci Resolve Studio is capable of exporting up to 32K at 120 frames per second.

The studio version can use 10-bit footage and has an expansive range of formats it can play and export, which is important for professional work.

To access the advanced noise removal tools and motion blur or mist effects, it may be worth upgrading to DaVinci Resolve Studio.

High Dynamic Range color grading is supported in DaVinci’s Studio version. The increase in the color data of your image in HDR color grading can add some incredible vibrancy for higher-end projects that need to be Dolby or HDR10+ compliant. The studio version adds HDR scopes that are able to provide detailed information for ST.2084 and HLG images as well as remote grading.

The studio version of Resolve features many more advanced features like scripting and automation, colorspace transform language, workflow integrations plug-ins, 3D audio, etc. Most of these features are aimed at professional work and if that’s what you are doing you will require the studio version.

Are you saying the above is not true? I shoot only 10-bit 4:2:2 DCI video with my Canon cameras. I also do HDR on occasion. I also work with time critical deadlines and depend on GPU acceleration for everything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup