Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

What % of time do you fly with controller vs beacon vs phone?

flymyjunk

Reaction score
Just got the email to complete my order. I'm expecting at least the sports package so I get the beacon. But I'm curious who uses the controller and if so would you just buy the controller separately as an add-on instead of the cinema package? How useful is the controller vs the beacon. I fly an air 2 for long range flights btw. Thanks

For the record, my reservation was made in early Nov.

I am not a sports or activity user, instead I enjoy shooting videos and photos where I can fly near and around objects paying more attention to what I'm shooting than I am to avoiding what I am shooting. I like the beacon for the occasional quick shot but I'm at least 90-95% on the controller.

Reactions: jcaoile
I film at ton action sports, snowboarding, snowmobiling, motorcross, ect.. The advantage of having the controller is when you are going to by piloting while tracking a subject and want to be in control to change angles, shots, ect while the action is in progress. It's also nice to have it to catch some quick scenic shots. Thing I do love about the controller is you can fly directly at an object and drone will navigate around it. I get some really cool tree shots and close fly bys of objects doing this procedure.

For me, the 90% case is filming myself/friend so either of us has beacon, then I use phone to land or change the shot. This is the throw it in the air and forget about it scenario. When I'm out in the backcountry with snowmobile I have storage to bring the controller so it's a no brainer to have it, but when space is a commodity like when I'm filming motorcross, or I'm splitboarding and I just want a small backpack then the controller stays at home. Honestly the controller kinda sucks if your used to the precision of the Air 2 and range is poor. I think you could do without it, especially if your already packing Air 2. I also have Air 2 and it's far superior for cinematic shots.

Couple of examples:
1. This is shot with addition of the controller. At one point the drone spins radically loosing subject, so I regain the shot by jumping to the controller then of course grab some scenic shots while I'm standing on top the mountain:

2. This one I'm filming high alpine motorcross, just beacon and phone in my small backpack which you can see in couple shots:

Reactions: Ridefreak
I film at ton action sports, snowboarding, snowmobiling, motorcross, ect.. The advantage of having the controller is when you are going to by piloting while tracking a subject and want to be in control to change angles, shots, ect while the action is in progress. It's also nice to have it to catch some quick scenic shots. Thing I do love about the controller is you can fly directly at an object and drone will navigate around it. I get some really cool tree shots and close fly bys of objects doing this procedure.

For me, the 90% case is filming myself/friend so either of us has beacon, then I use phone to land or change the shot. This is the throw it in the air and forget about it scenario. When I'm out in the backcountry with snowmobile I have storage to bring the controller so it's a no brainer to have it, but when space is a commodity like when I'm filming motorcross, or I'm splitboarding and I just want a small backpack then the controller stays at home. Honestly the controller kinda sucks if your used to the precision of the Air 2 and range is poor. I think you could do without it, especially if your already packing Air 2. I also have Air 2 and it's far superior for cinematic shots.

Couple of examples:
1. This is shot with addition of the controller. At one point the drone spins radically loosing subject, so I regain the shot by jumping to the controller then of course grab some scenic shots while I'm standing on top the mountain:

2. This one I'm filming high alpine motorcross, just beacon and phone in my small backpack which you can see in couple shots:

Very nice video!

I use any extra space to carry more batteries, If I'm riding all day I carry 5 of them. Between the drone, batteries, water, and tool kit I probably couldn't fit the controller. With the phone app connected to the Beacon the range is enough for me for scenic stuff. There's some cool stuff you can do with the controller that would be extremely difficult (at least for me) to do with the app so there's that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AirSpur98