Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Altitude limit

Starz

Reaction score
In reading some of the details on this new product, I found that they are restricting the altitude limit to just over 400 feet. They mention that they will address that limit with a firmware update at a latter time. With some of the mountain flying that I tend to do, I’m going to hang back on this one until that feature is more acceptable.
Everybody catch that one?

Yeah, I've seen the little asterisk on the page that describes this. I wonder if it is partially related to the fact that there is no telemetry on the screen. Maybe because of this, they are trying to help users to stay safe and legal until they do get the telemetry implemented.

Like Starz all of my flying is around small mountains (800-3000') so when I'm in the valley and I go up the mountain side 400' just won't do. I heard from Skydio (can't remember where) that the max height will be limited to 500m. I'm in batch 3 so if it's not resolved by then I may have to cancel.

Like Starz all of my flying is around small mountains (800-3000') so when I'm in the valley and I go up the mountain side 400' just won't do. I heard from Skydio (can't remember where) that the max height will be limited to 500m. I'm in batch 3 so if it's not resolved by then I may have to cancel.

Well, they started at 400', then brought it up to 500m and now it's back to 400'. That being said, I'm sure they'll have it hashed out by the end of next year when you get your drone... Sorry, just a little joke from a guy waiting for his batch one drone.

In reading some of the details on this new product, I found that they are restricting the altitude limit to just over 400 feet. They mention that they will address that limit with a firmware update at a latter time. With some of the mountain flying that I tend to do, I’m going to hang back on this one until that feature is more acceptable.
Everybody catch that one?
The 400 foot rule in USA is 400 feet above take off point or nearest obstacle. So if you are in Denver (5,280 above SEA LEVEL) you can still fly UP TO 400 feet above take off point or nearest obstacle.

If you fly around any mountain terrain, the 400 foot limits creates an issue.
Too limiting for the flying I like to do at this point.
Once they get past their 400 foot thing, I may jump in with the ever increasing crowd.

If you fly around any mountain terrain, the 400 foot limits creates an issue.
Too limiting for the flying I like to do at this point.
Once they get past their 400 foot thing, I may jump in with the ever increasing crowd.
Again, it's 400 feet from t/o point or from top of nearest obstacle (in flight path). So, that should not be an issue for you. When in doubt, call the FAA office near you,

If you’re fly next to a mountain, and it‘s rising at a 30 degree angle, four hundred feet up won’t get you very far from home point. FAA has nothing to do with that scenario. The four hundred foot limit above tallest object isn’t something that’s hard for me to understand.

Reactions: jmm701
Has anyone run it up to see where it stops altitude wise? I've flown with the controller and it sure seemed like it was higher than 400'.

If you’re fly next to a mountain, and it‘s rising at a 30 degree angle, four hundred feet up won’t get you very far from home point. FAA has nothing to do with that scenario. The four hundred foot limit above tallest object isn’t something that’s hard for me to understand.

Yea I've run into this. If I start out at zero, let's say and fly up a 200' high hill, I'll only be able to climb another 200'. Conversely, if I land on that hill and take off again, I'll be able to fly 400' above it AND if I fly over my starting point, I'll be at 600' AGL.

The 400 foot rule in USA is 400 feet above take off point or nearest obstacle. So if you are in Denver (5,280 above SEA LEVEL) you can still fly UP TO 400 feet above take off point or nearest obstacle.

The drone used to have a ceiling of 500 meters before the telemetry update. What happened?

Yea I've run into this. If I start out at zero, let's say and fly up a 200' high hill, I'll only be able to climb another 200'. Conversely, if I land on that hill and take off again, I'll be able to fly 400' above it AND if I fly over my starting point, I'll be at 600' AGL.
Since this drone does not have landing gear, landing 200 feet above you is not very practical in my opinion.

The drone used to have a ceiling of 500 meters before the telemetry update. What happened?
Recent video showed one topping out at about 460 feet. But Mike at Accelerated Heights reported the altitude reading climbing even when the drone wasn't. Makes one wonder about the barometer accuracy or is there even one. Maybe it is guessing based on GPS?

Recent video showed one topping out at about 460 feet. But Mike at Accelerated Heights reported the altitude reading climbing even when the drone wasn't. Makes one wonder about the barometer accuracy or is there even one. Maybe it is guessing based on GPS?

Mine flew up to about 300', I let go of the stick and the alt showed over 1000' before it stopped and went back to 260' (at first I tried to stop the ascent but realized it was fake). I'm guessing they are using GPS to calculate altitude. No compass and it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't a barometer.

Reactions: parkgt
First production runs are more prone to bugs. That’s all they are dealing with. They’ll work it out.

Reactions: jmm701
While the spec still says it can fly to 1640' (500m) above launch point, I read somewhere that initially they have artificially limited it to 426' (130m) for the time being. I've sent in a load of questions to Support including "when do we get 500m?" but no reply yet. As others noted mine tops out at 130m currently which is annoying when flying in mountainous terrain.

Max flight ceiling is stated at 15,000' which is nice. I've only flown it launching at about 6500', without an issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup